By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation Console sales have surpassed 600 Million

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

I will always wonder how high PS4 could have gotten if they'd done a price cut to $200 in 2019 like Septemberish. They must have been making mad profit on the console at that point and with PS5 yet to be announced I imagine it would do a pretty damn good holiday and get some of those low cost consumers into their ecosystem. 117m could have been 130m since they STILL haven't officially cut it.

They could have sold at least a few more million, possibly even more than 5 million more leading to a lifetime of over 121 million units.

Sony clearly didn't see a steep price cut of the Slim and Pro later in their lives as worth it. 

Retailers have good sales for hardware sometimes. Multiple times a year you could get a Slim for $250, and at least yearly more than once it was $200 for Black Friday.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Vita is the only system under 80 million, every home console is over 100 million except the PS3 (well I'm assuming PS5 getting there is inevitable) ... you have to admit Sony has their way of doing things and by and large it works for them.

Makes me really curious how PS3 would have done if Sony didn’t include Blu-Ray causing it to cost $599 and instead continues using DVD and launched at $399.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

PS1 : 102.49

PS2 : 159.20

PSP : 82.00

PS3 : 87.40

PSV : 15.80

PS4 : 117.60

PS5 : 41.70

Total since 1994 : 606.19 million

Last edited by Evilms - on 30 August 2023

Evilms said:

Is this from Sony?

Around the Network
Geralt99 said:
Evilms said:

Is this from Sony?

All figures are official and come from Sony Interactive Entertainment's internal estimates.

Apart from the estimate of 4.10 million for the last fiscal year (FY2012), in which year Sony spoke of a drop in sales for the PS3 but made no comment about the PS2, which must have been either stable or slightly up on the year before, so 4.10 is a minimum for that year.

Evilms said:
Geralt99 said:

Is this from Sony?

All figures are official and come from Sony Interactive Entertainment's internal estimates.

Apart from the estimate of 4.10 million for the last fiscal year (FY2012), in which year Sony spoke of a drop in sales for the PS3 but made no comment about the PS2, which must have been either stable or slightly up on the year before, so 4.10 is a minimum for that year.

Sounds like dubious logic. I found this quote from the FY report which implies they both decreased:

For the fiscal year ended March 31, 2012, sales decreased 6.9 percent year-on-year to 805.0 billion yen.
Sales to outside customers decreased 8.7 percent year-on-year. The decrease reflects lower sales of PlayStation ®3
(“PS3”) hardware due to a strategic price reduction and lower sales of PlayStation ®2 due to platform migration.

That's in dollar sales to be fair, but listing "platform migration" as the reason for lower PS2 sales also sounds like less units sold to me.

Edit: Just noticed another bigger issue with that table. It states the PS2 shipped 151.1 mil by March 31, 2012, then adds the fiscal year 2012 on top of that. But the FY 2012 ended March 31, 2012, that's how their fiscal years run.

Last edited by UnderwaterFunktown - on 29 August 2023

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Sony consoles performs very consistently. It's ironic how it's better to number new hardware where it's bad for software. It's a known fact that numbered sequels tends to sell less for software. However, most successful hardware with a numbered follow-up does consistently good like the iPhone. Even looking at Playstation alone, the worst selling one is PSVita, no number. Should have been PS Portable 2 or something.

One of the reason why Xbox and Nintendo lacks consistency. Especially Xbox, like wtf is the 360 then One. There's at least an excuse for Nintendo because they change so many things. If I was Nintendo, the next console would be named "Switch 2" if it's a more powerful Switch.

UnderwaterFunktown said:
Evilms said:

Sounds like dubious logic. I found this quote from the FY report which implies they both decreased:

For the fiscal year ended March 31, 2012, sales decreased 6.9 percent year-on-year to 805.0 billion yen.
Sales to outside customers decreased 8.7 percent year-on-year. The decrease reflects lower sales of PlayStation ®3
(“PS3”) hardware due to a strategic price reduction and lower sales of PlayStation ®2 due to platform migration.

That's in dollar sales to be fair, but listing "platform migration" as the reason for lower PS2 sales also sounds like less units sold to me.

november 14, 2012

And now from Q4FY2012 when fiscal year 2012 ended (9 may 2013)

"Edit: Just noticed another bigger issue with that table. It states the PS2 shipped 151.1 mil by March 31, 2012, then adds the fiscal year 2012 on top of that. But the FY 2012 ended March 31, 2012, that's how their fiscal years run."

I don't see what the problem is with the fiscal years.

& FY 2012. Consolidated Financial Results. (Fiscal year ended March 31, 2013). not march 31, 2012.

So 159.2 million it's the minimum of the PS2's final score.

Last edited by Evilms - on 29 August 2023