By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation Console sales have surpassed 600 Million

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:
zorg1000 said:

Makes me really curious how PS3 would have done if Sony didn’t include Blu-Ray causing it to cost $599 and instead continues using DVD and launched at $399.

It would have been better for the DVD market and the idea of physical media. Blu Ray was rolled out far too early and artificial. The way they tried to make everyone think they needed it was absurd. In 2010 it would have made much more sense. A better price wouldn’t have impacted Nintendo’s strategy, but it definitely would have helped the Sony image that gen and taken more sales away from Microsoft. 

Yep, I understand it was a Trojan horse tactic to make sure HD-DVD didn’t take off but most people had just gotten DVD players in the early 2000s and HDTV adoption rates were still low so people just weren’t ready for Blu-Ray in 2006/2007 when PS3 launched. They could have done a mid-gen upgrade in 2009/2010 that included Blu-Ray when prices came down.

As for sales, I agree, a cheaper PS3 likely would have had minimal impact on Wii but 360 would have definitely taken a big hit. I still think PS3 would have done worse than PS2 as Microsoft was making some good moves with 360 to build off of Xbox and Wii was now the hit casual console. Im guessing the PlayStation/Xbox split would have been similar to PS4/XBO with Wii selling basically the same.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Ps1 And PS2 were the best. PS3 was meh and so is ps5. Going through some of the backlog which includes PS4 games first party upscaled for ps5.  Good results though!

Microfiber said:

A really stellar collection of systems

Sony never dissapoints, all their consoles are good

Double Post

dane007 said:

Ps1 And PS2 were the best. PS3 was meh and so is ps5. Going through some of the backlog which includes PS4 games first party upscaled for ps5.  Good results though!

I find PS3 the second best console of its generation, PSP being the first. But I agree it's the weakest Sony home console system mostly because I'm not a fan of this generation games 

PS5 so far has been amazing. It's everything I could ask for a console. Run pretty games at 60 FPS and 1080 HD, could carry my PS4 library without many problems, good network for multi-player, many good games that go on sale pretty often, many physical games as well. Very fast load times. And the dualsense is the best controller ever made, I'm so used to the haptics it just feels like what a proper controller should be. 

It's just way too expensive, specially for a Brazilian. Series S is a much better offer when it comes to pricing, less than half of PS5 (you can go as far as finding them being sold to 35% of PS5 price)

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

Vita is the only system under 80 million, every home console is over 100 million except the PS3 (well I'm assuming PS5 getting there is inevitable) ... you have to admit Sony has their way of doing things and by and large it works for them.

Makes me really curious how PS3 would have done if Sony didn’t include Blu-Ray causing it to cost $599 and instead continues using DVD and launched at $399.

Add in using a more normal processor instead of Cell and you're looking at 100 million+ I think. 

Microsoft and Nintendo were stiff direct and indirect competition, so I don't think it could've touched the PS2. It probably wouldn't even surpass the PS4. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:
zorg1000 said:

Add in using a more normal processor instead of Cell and you're looking at 100 million+ I think. 

Microsoft and Nintendo were stiff direct and indirect competition, so I don't think it could've touched the PS2. It probably wouldn't even surpass the PS4. 

Yeah I think Microsoft was going to see growth from Xbox to 360 regardless of PS3 price. The combination of the one year head start, superior online service, bigger 1st party games, securing some big timed exclusives and former PS exclusives going multiplat were bound to give the brand momentum in the early part of the generation and cause a decent amount of PS2 owners to migrate. Then later in the generation it had the big boost from Kinect.

As for Wii affecting it, I think a lot of people underestimate how many casual gamers were on PS2, you don’t sell over 150 million units of hardware without a sizable casual audience. It wasn’t as dominant of an audience as it was on Wii but you had franchises like Guitar Hero, Dance Dance Revolution, SingStar, Buzz! and a bunch of licensed kid properties selling millions of units on PS2 and Eyetoy sold over 10 million so it definitely wasn’t exclusively for “hardcore” gamers.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I agree with 159.2M sold for PS2 but I think it's rather interesting that Sony declares that every console has "More than..." in their official Worldwide sell-in. 
Makes me think "how much more" for some of these.
Thankfully VGChartz does a great job on data, we get a good solid idea, based on facts, mathematics, and hard work.

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Evilms said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

You're ignoring the fact that the PS2 got discontinued during FY2012 (right around the end of 2012), which a) makes it not so strange for them to not mention it, especially since the report has no mention of the PS2 anywhere, not just in this section about sales decreases and b) makes it extremely unlikely they would ship more PS2s that year than the previous one with the system only being in production for 3 quarters and production likely winding down before that. You're essentially suggesting that they decided to speed up production in 2012 and then stopped all together shortly after that.

They may well have sold 4.1 million that year (FY 2012) or even more, which means that their sales have remained at least stable, and the fact that they're not talking about any drop in sales is already a much better indicator than the ending production in January 2013, which means nothing at all.

In addition, as ZhugeEx points out, you only need to use the 80 million PS3's as of November 2, 2013 to know that the PS3 couldn't have made more than 12.4 million in that same fiscal year.

And officially we know that it was at 64 million on March 31, 2012

They miss us its sales between April 1, 2012 and March 31, 2013

officially
Q1 April - June 2013
1.1 million

Q2 July - September 2013
2.0 million

Q3 October - December 2013
3.3 million

October 2013 it sold at
55K (NPD in US)
57K (MediaCreate in Japan)

We can say that during this month of October it sold in the best case 500~600K worldwide (with 400~500k for the rest of the world), knowing that it sold much better during November (415k NPD / 61K MC) and December (299k NPD / 103 MC) it's logic for the 2 months of the end of the year on the 2 most important markets.

As of November 2, 2013 Sony announces PS3 has surpassed 80 million worldwide.

So :

80 - 0.5 (October) - 2.0 (Q2) - 1.1 (Q1) = 76.4 million as of March 31, 2013

76.4 - 64 = 12.4 (between April 2012 and March 2013)

Which leaves us at least 4.1 million for the PS2 for the same periode

4.1 + 12.4 = 16.5 million (PS2 + PS3).

Sony's comment on lower PS3 revenue was attributed to lower pricing not to lower shipments nor unit sales. We cannot assume based on this comment from Sony that the PS3 sold less or stayed flat compared to previous year.

Tober said:
Evilms said:

They may well have sold 4.1 million that year (FY 2012) or even more, which means that their sales have remained at least stable, and the fact that they're not talking about any drop in sales is already a much better indicator than the ending production in January 2013, which means nothing at all.

They miss us its sales between April 1, 2012 and March 31, 2013

officially
Q1 April - June 2013
1.1 million

Q2 July - September 2013
2.0 million

Q3 October - December 2013
3.3 million

October 2013 it sold at
55K (NPD in US)
57K (MediaCreate in Japan)

We can say that during this month of October it sold in the best case 500~600K worldwide (with 400~500k for the rest of the world), knowing that it sold much better during November (415k NPD / 61K MC) and December (299k NPD / 103 MC) it's logic for the 2 months of the end of the year on the 2 most important markets.

As of November 2, 2013 Sony announces PS3 has surpassed 80 million worldwide.

So :

80 - 0.5 (October) - 2.0 (Q2) - 1.1 (Q1) = 76.4 million as of March 31, 2013

76.4 - 64 = 12.4 (between April 2012 and March 2013)

Which leaves us at least 4.1 million for the PS2 for the same periode

4.1 + 12.4 = 16.5 million (PS2 + PS3).

Sony's comment on lower PS3 revenue was attributed to lower pricing not to lower shipments nor unit sales. We cannot assume based on this comment from Sony that the PS3 sold less or stayed flat compared to previous year.

If we want to go super crazy, we could find out how much the PS3 was in every country during the previous year mentioned, and their final year. And from there calculate how many PS3 were sold, then subtract that from the 16.5M to get PS2.

That is gonna be a lot of work, and already feels exhausting typing this up (hahaha).
But that would be how I determine the numbers to be honest.

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.