By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 30, 2023 (Jul 17 - Jul 23)

is pikmin finally becoming popular

Around the Network
kirb4kirb said:

I think it's always been popular in Japan 

Pinkie_pie said:
siebensus4 said:

If you think about the production costs of both games, this is must be devastating for Square.

And don't even think about the 4 million copies which Momotaro Dentetsu sold in Japan... a game, which is even cheaper to produce than Pikmin.

It also outsold elden ring, diablo 4, hogwarts,  call of duty, basically all the triple AAA titles on Playstation in Japan.  Must be devastating for all of them too right? I don't think they are devastated at all considering the installed base in Japan 

PS5 doesn't sell so badly, so don't blame the install base. Sure, it is no Switch, but games sell consoles, not the other way round. Every big game bumps up the baseline of the console, as people are eager to play it.

And your whole argument boils down to: Japan irrelevant anyways. Then why post here?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Pinkie_pie said:
kirb4kirb said:

I think it's always been popular in Japan 

Depending on your definition of popular. Pikmin 3 Deluxe sold 171K first week, ahead of Pikmin 3 first week on WiiU. Deluxe so far was the most popular Pikmin and already pushed the sales ceiling for the series. This is more than double that.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Mnementh said:
Pinkie_pie said:

It also outsold elden ring, diablo 4, hogwarts,  call of duty, basically all the triple AAA titles on Playstation in Japan.  Must be devastating for all of them too right? I don't think they are devastated at all considering the installed base in Japan 

PS5 doesn't sell so badly, so don't blame the install base. Sure, it is no Switch, but games sell consoles, not the other way round. Every big game bumps up the baseline of the console, as people are eager to play it.

And your whole argument boils down to: Japan irrelevant anyways. Then why post here?

So you think square and other developers are devastated about their games not selling as well as most 1st party switch titles in Japan? My argument was about that

Around the Network
Pinkie_pie said:
Mnementh said:

So you think square and other developers are devastated about their games not selling as well as most 1st party switch titles in Japan? My argument was about that

OK, the wording was pretty strong in the original post. Let's say: I don't think SE is particularly happy about the japanese sales. Devastated... yeah I don't know. If it brings back it's investment overall it will be fine.

kazuyamishima said:

Seems that FFXVI is still the scapegoat.

it's not a scapegoat when it's a very relevant topic and has truly tumbled from it's old position. it's based on facts.

not that it needs to be brought up for every game ever and in every famitsu thread, though.

The Switch effect is still in full swing! Great Pikmin 4 debut!

Signature goes here!

Qwark said:
peachbuggy said:

Pikmin already outsold final fantasy :O

Superior game on a superior platform for Japan 

Am still surprised it did it with just 1 weeks' sales tho. I mean i did expect it to beat FF in total sales by outlegging it but definitely not in its first week.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

siebensus4 said:
peachbuggy said:

Pikmin already outsold final fantasy :O

If you think about the production costs of both games, this is must be devastating for Square.

And don't even think about the 4 million copies which Momotaro Dentetsu sold in Japan... a game, which is even cheaper to produce than Pikmin.

I mean, i'm not trying to be disparaging about FF sales, am more surprised about how well Pikmin has done!

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!