By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When do you think the Switch Successor will release?

Will the Switch successor launch in 2024?

Yes 3 75.00%

No 1 25.00%

Total:4

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/sources-nintendo-switch-2-targets-2024-with-next-gen-console/

So sources are telling VGC that Nintendo's next console is releasing 2024. This is definitely one of the more reliable sources you could trust when it comes to rumors, a reputable website.

I've been thinking Switch 2 would be a 2025 release, but all the rumors and indications seem to be pointing towards a 2024 release. And when a rumor persists, it probably has some truth to it, so I might be leaning more towards a 2024 release forecast now.

However,I'm still skeptical if Nintendo should do a 2024 release, the Switch is still more than profitable and it has the install base to keep making a high amount of software sales on the current switch.

Around the Network

As long as the system and games keep selling then you won't see a new Switch. Mario Kart 8 deluxe alone (along with it's many paid DLC) will end up on about 60 million copies! That's bonkers.

javi741 said:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/sources-nintendo-switch-2-targets-2024-with-next-gen-console/

So sources are telling VGC that Nintendo's next console is releasing 2024. This is definitely one of the more reliable sources you could trust when it comes to rumors, a reputable website.

I've been thinking Switch 2 would be a 2025 release, but all the rumors and indications seem to be pointing towards a 2024 release. And when a rumor persists, it probably has some truth to it, so I might be leaning more towards a 2024 release forecast now.

However,I'm still skeptical if Nintendo should do a 2024 release, the Switch is still more than profitable and it has the install base to keep making a high amount of software sales on the current switch.

The only problem with waiting for 2025 is that holiday 2024 would probably be fairly weak for the Switch, being its 8th holiday! Probably makes more sense for them to get a new system out for that holiday, either in November next year or maybe even as early as September if they wanna have that launch + holiday double sales bump. I wouldn't mind Switch going until 2025 or even 2026 as long as they have games, but most likely we'll see a successor during Fall 2024. Successor + MK9 + 3D Mario would give Nintendo a huge holiday season and allow them to go into 2025 strong rather than with a fading system.

I doubt we'll see it before Fall 2024 cuz they've already announced a few games for Switch for next year that I think will likely take Switch through the summer, and I bet we will hear about more Switch 2024 games as we get closer to that time. So Fall 2024 seems like the ideal time. Mario Wonder is likely the last HUGE game for Switch and it can coast out on still decent hardware sales and strong software sales for the next roughly 12 months after that.

Eurogamer confirmed the VGC report and stated it's indeed due for launch in the second half of 2024 according to their sources. So probably Set-Nov unless they want to squeeze an early launch in summer vacation.

You don't need to wait for a platform to die in order to release another, thats a very risky strategy... Once more casual users become disengaged, there is no garauntee they will re-engage afterwards.

Also releasing a new platform doesn't mean no more software/software sales for the older platform. Even in just terms of recent Nintendo history they released a mainline Pokemon/Metroid exclusive to the 3DS after the Switch was released. Nowadays that'd just be cross gen.

Around the Network

Yeah Eurogamer is also confirming they've heard the same thing from their sources, but as I posted earlier the Spain-based leaker who leaked Metroid Dread for Switch way before it was announced also said dev kits were out there weeks ago, and it's fairly likely his source is Mercury Steam (developer of Metroid Dread, who is based in Spain).

The system going back to LCD also matches up with the Sharp LCD leak that Sharp was beginning *sample testing* of a new LCD screen for a new game console this fiscal year with full production to begin next fiscal year ... which matches up exactly with what VGC is saying.

I would prefer a September 2024 type launch, but I guess it all depends on hardware supply and software completion rate, it may be another generic November launch.

Just because you release a new system doesn't mean you lose the existing userbase from the previous system either. Sony has basically kept the PS4 userbase, but for people buying a new system, they're definitely pushing them into buying a PS5 rather than making PS4s available. Nintendo could do something similar especially with non-Lite Switch models (limit stock). The only catch with that I think is they can't probably have too much cross-gen software because Nintendo systems are more reliant on 1st/2nd party exclusives to drive hardware adoption, so like I don't think Mario Kart Next (for example) will be a cross gen game, but who knows. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 31 July 2023

One thing I think going for Nintendo this time around is that for the first time since the NES-Super Nintendo I think Nintendo isn’t on their heels. They aren’t having to learn how to make games in HD or 3D or with motion controls in mind for the first time. They’re not needing to figure out how to incorporate a gamepad or other gimmick. The transition should be smooth, the software pipeline should be robust and Nintendo will be able to ride on the high install base of the Switch while at the same time capturing early adopters for the best experience.

All of this is assuming, which I am, that Nintendo doesn’t try to upend the apple cart with Switch 2. Just refinements of the form factor, faster speeds, higher resolution, better storage, and an enhanced UI should be enough to ensure a great successor.

Switch Holiday 2024 accomplishes a lot. It allows the next console to release while Nintendo is still performing well. It allows the Switch to die a slow, but still respectful death, and it meets the pent up demand of consumers ready to move on. 2025 (particularly late 2025) just seems to much of a stretch for loyalists to have to wait.

I could see some bigger 3rd party games than people expect too.

Monster Hunter 6 (as in the next mainline Monster Hunter) is supposedly launching before March 2024 ... so I could definitely see a Switch 2 version early in the product cycle, maybe even at launch for fall 2024.

I don't think Capcom is going to want to miss out on millions of potential sales from a Switch 2 version, PS4/XB got Monster Hunter Rise, so the reverse shouldn't be seen as impossible.

Pemalite said:

But it's not "switching" anything.

There is no change of hardware or capabilities.

It's switching to higher clocks when docked, which could be interpreted as changing it's 'capabilities' ...

On another note, assuming that the rumoured ampere chipset is accurate, do you we think this would be completely locked regardless of when N ultimately decide to release the Switch 2 or could it be updated before launch, especially if they end up launching later than initially anticipated due to continued strong Switch 1 sales?

I appreciate that a tonne of R&D has already been invested in the new chipset, but if they launch later could that at least open up the opportunity of producing it on a smaller process, which in itself would obvs offer significantly increased performance and/or battery life.

super_etecoon said:

One thing I think going for Nintendo this time around is that for the first time since the NES-Super Nintendo I think Nintendo isn’t on their heels. They aren’t having to learn how to make games in HD or 3D or with motion controls in mind for the first time. They’re not needing to figure out how to incorporate a gamepad or other gimmick. The transition should be smooth, the software pipeline should be robust and Nintendo will be able to ride on the high install base of the Switch while at the same time capturing early adopters for the best experience.

All of this is assuming, which I am, that Nintendo doesn’t try to upend the apple cart with Switch 2. Just refinements of the form factor, faster speeds, higher resolution, better storage, and an enhanced UI should be enough to ensure a great successor.

Switch Holiday 2024 accomplishes a lot. It allows the next console to release while Nintendo is still performing well. It allows the Switch to die a slow, but still respectful death, and it meets the pent up demand of consumers ready to move on. 2025 (particularly late 2025) just seems to much of a stretch for loyalists to have to wait.

While Switch is indeed Nintendo's best-selling console and still has a chance to be their best-selling handheld, I agree that 8 or especially over 8 and a half years is waiting too long to replace Switch.

Game Boy only took so long to get the Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance for several reasons.

-Project Atlantis (targeting 1996) would have been similar to SNES and GBA in performance but was far too bulky and costly.

-Virtual Boy was a third pillar that flopped and was DOA. 

-Pokemon's release in 1996 in Japan and the end of the 90s in the rest of the world was an earth-shattering new IP. Switch has no such title.

-Game Boy is a handheld and had home consoles alongside it. Switch is a hybrid, but also has a handheld-only iteration. 

People may point to Xbox One taking 8 years to support Switch 2 coming out 2025 or later, but you have to think of a few things.

-Xbox 360 came out a year earlier than it probably should have.

-Xbox 360 was making a killing in software and subscription sales. It was making billions and billions a year in software sales, while Xbox made about 8 billion in software sales in its life while losing about 4 billion on hardware. Nintendo is making a killing in software and subscriptions as well over 6 years into Switch's life, but the hardware itself has also been profitable too. They're not as reliant as Sony and Microsoft on software and subscriptions to subsidize the hardware costs. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima