By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 28, 2023 (Jul 03 - Jul 09)

FFXVI dropped more in it's third week than FFXV and FFVII Remake did. Those dropped by 51% and only 7%.

Around the Network
Shatts said:
Norion said:
archbrix said:

The PS5 currently is in one of its biggest years though and it continues to struggle against the current Switch in Japan. Final Fantasy launch week didn't even see the PS5 come out ahead. Meanwhile, the aging Switch still has Mario Wonder, which will surely sell as high as Mario is in the game, as well as titles that will sustain its sales.

It's that continued support and interest in the current Switch as well as the big yearly decline I think we'll see for PS5 once Switch 2 arrives that might keep the PS5 from the numbers you're projecting. If 2023-2024 is the PS5's peak as many believe, what are sales going to look like in Japan as they naturally decline against Switch 2 starting its (presumably) winning run? Maybe all of the exporting will help but I just don't expect a big enough interest for the PS5 in Japan going forward.

The issue is by the time the Switch 2 comes out the PS5 will already be at 5-6m. It'd have to kinda fall off a cliff to not reach 9.5m the following few years especially if this is a longer generation. I don't see why the Switch 2's success would cause that when it's able to sell as well as it is currently despite the current Switch having an amazing stretch right now. It's not like the Switch's 2021 and 2022 were why the PS5's first couple years weren't good, if there was ample stock then it would've sold perfectly fine despite the Switch doing amazing then.

Tbf the claim that next gen is coming in 2028 is just an assumption from Microsoft. There's always the possibility of PS5 being the last console from Sony, or next gen releasing earlier than expected. Since we don't know what Nintendo's next console will be like, there's really no telling. However if our assumption that it will be a Switch 2 is correct, I do think PS5 is slightly in danger since power isn't really that important nowadays. PS4 pro isn't that much different than a PS5. Perhaps we haven't seen its full capabilities/potential, but the PS5's marketing point in Japan is that it's able to play more AAA games that demands more power without spending more than 30k yen on a PC setup. If Switch 2 is on par with the PS4 and has dlss, most AAA should be able to play on it with close to no problem. So the only reason to buy a PS5 would be its exclusive. Are there going to be PS5 exclusives where lots of JP users would want to play? I doubt it.

I think holiday 2027 could still happen but not any earlier than that. That wouldn't be the only reason, there's also wanting to play a much better version of those games. The main thing is the Switch 2 is not gonna get going in a big way until 2025 and by then the PS5 will already be thoroughly established so I don't see it having much impact.

siebensus4 said:

Everybody 1-2 Switch... I can't remember another game, which sold in its second week better than in its launch week...

Here's one that also managed to do that:

Brain Training on Switch:

08./00. [NSW] Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch <HOB> (Nintendo) {2019.12.27} (¥3.480) - 34.696 / NEW <20-40%>

07./08. [NSW] Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch <HOB> (Nintendo) {2019.12.27} (¥3.480) - 41.455 / 76.151 <40-60%> (+19%)

Only one game from the ps5 can take a rank in the top 20 of the ps4 and thats show how bad ps5 is doing in japan.

https://teitengame.com/salesbyhard.html

Final Fantasy XV sold less than 5k on Xbox in Japan...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
Norion said:
Shatts said:

Tbf the claim that next gen is coming in 2028 is just an assumption from Microsoft. There's always the possibility of PS5 being the last console from Sony, or next gen releasing earlier than expected. Since we don't know what Nintendo's next console will be like, there's really no telling. However if our assumption that it will be a Switch 2 is correct, I do think PS5 is slightly in danger since power isn't really that important nowadays. PS4 pro isn't that much different than a PS5. Perhaps we haven't seen its full capabilities/potential, but the PS5's marketing point in Japan is that it's able to play more AAA games that demands more power without spending more than 30k yen on a PC setup. If Switch 2 is on par with the PS4 and has dlss, most AAA should be able to play on it with close to no problem. So the only reason to buy a PS5 would be its exclusive. Are there going to be PS5 exclusives where lots of JP users would want to play? I doubt it.

I think holiday 2027 could still happen but not any earlier than that. That wouldn't be the only reason, there's also wanting to play a much better version of those games. The main thing is the Switch 2 is not gonna get going in a big way until 2025 and by then the PS5 will already be thoroughly established so I don't see it having much impact.

Fair enough, but we are talking about Japan here. If playing a better version was valued there, mobile and switch wouldn't be dominating now. PC gaming is also growing in Japan, the hardcore gamers that does care about a better version would most likely get a PC, not a PS5. I don't know about Switch 2 not having an impact until 2025 (unless it's released in 2025). Once its announced, people are going to save money to buy it and steal potential customers that might've bought a PS5. If that happens, I could see the legs for PS5 being poor just like how the legs for Wii was poor. 

Shatts said:
Norion said:

Fair enough, but we are talking about Japan here. If playing a better version was valued there, mobile and switch wouldn't be dominating now. PC gaming is also growing in Japan, the hardcore gamers that does care about a better version would most likely get a PC, not a PS5. I don't know about Switch 2 not having an impact until 2025 (unless it's released in 2025). Once its announced, people are going to save money to buy it and steal potential customers that might've bought a PS5. If that happens, I could see the legs for PS5 being poor just like how the legs for Wii was poor. 

PC gaming has been growing in popularity in Japan yeah but a PS5 is significantly cheaper than a PC with similar specs so a capable console is still a preferable purchase to many like elsewhere. It should release next year but Nintendo has said it won't be this fiscal year so it'll be April at the earliest and I expect later than that so 2025 will its first full proper year is what I meant by get going in a big way. It could have some negative impact on the PS5 but I doubt it'll be major since the Switch hasn't held it back despite selling extremely well the past 3 years.

Crown said:

Only one game from the ps5 can take a rank in the top 20 of the ps4 and thats show how bad ps5 is doing in japan.

https://teitengame.com/salesbyhard.html

Hey, at least the top PS5 game would be in 10th place on the Wii U.

If Chinese gamers are the ones responsible for the surge in sales between Switch, PS5, and PS4, then that raises another question.
How long before the Chinese government cracks down on those imports as well?
If they're truly THAT concerned about gaming addiction and control how much comes in and out of their country, of course they're gonna notice this sudden surge of importing Japanese consoles and games. And they're not just gonna sit back and do nothing. I'd expect them to respond at some point. Like raising the tariffs they charge on Nintendo, Sony, and the Japanese government to ship their products over there to the point where they just don't find it worth the price. (I'm not entirely sure if that's how tariffs work, perhaps it's the other way around.) If not outright ban them entirely and enforce strict rules and punishments on their own citizens if they're caught trying to smuggle them (Christ on a Stick, maybe video games really ARE drugs. I'm sure talking like they are...)

Soundwave said:

The question is going to be how many of these PS5s are actually in Japan? Because I think it's not as much of a reach any longer to think a fairly sizable chunk of the PS5s sold this year have gone to China.

There's no reason for a Chinese buyer to buy a Chinese PS5 (or Switch or PS4 frankly, I guess XBox is just dead in Asia too but if Chinese game censorship was a concern for you, then the last console you'd want is the American one anyway, lol) if they can get a Japanese PS5 instead. 

Honestly I'm surprised people keep ignoring this dynamic, which was well established & reported way back in 2021, partially explains the PS5 software situation which has been very consistent across every piece of software, there is not a single outlier. The actual number of PS5's sitting in Japan is way less than raw numbers suggest. Honestly I think you can go as far as chopping the PS5's userbase in half... So people don't need to keep acting shocked & confused when the software mismatches the hardware.

Digital has a smaller but notable role to play