By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Discuss the state of the forums and find solutions

Deyon said:
super_etecoon said:

The fact that you called it the PS3/360 era and omitted the Wii in that sentence is pretty telling.  

But no, your thesis seems inaccurate.  The fact is that in 2006-2010 people were more likely to visit websites and forums.  And there weren't that many of them to begin with.  These days the gaming community is spread out across a great number of robust platforms like YouTube, Twitter, Reddit, Discord, not to mention Facebook (which wasn't even a thing back during the heyday of this site, if you can believe that).  The fact that VGChartz doesn't have a very good mobile site doesn't help things and certainly doesn't encourage new usership. 

Overall I think we all should feel lucky the site even still exists some 12-15 years removed from when it had the best shot at viability.  I think we have a strong group of volunteers (and minimally paid) users who are to thank for that.

Pretty telling of what? It's general knowledge that Nintendo after the GameCube is not really in it to compete with Sony or Microsoft in a lot of ways. Different approach to console design, different business strategies, different focus on certain demographics etc. They are off doing their own thing and being mega successful at it.

The Wii won sure but the console wars of the 7th gen has always been ps3 vs 360 cuz they were basically a clone of each other, and that's why I 'omitted' the Wii. Not everything is a dig at Nintendo < 3

Edit: holy hell @ that Rol post! I need 3 business days to read analyze and give my feedback.

While Nintendo had to differentiate itself from Sony to compete in the console market, it is not like Nintendo isn’t a competitor to Sony and Microsoft. That’s just a fact. 

But more importantly, for the sake of your thread discussion, particularly in 2007-2009 the success of Nintendo in comparison to Sony was not an absolute and much of the traffic generated here at VGC was a result of folks coming to the site to monitor that race. You may think it was a foregone conclusion but it absolutely was not, and even as Nintendo dominated the number of fanboys from other console bases who were claiming that Nintendo’s success was empty and shallow definitely helped to drive up traffic on this site. 

I didn’t take your comment as a slight against Nintendo, but rather it is telling of your understanding of the culture that helped VGC thrive in its heyday. 

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I vote to have my old username back

That could be arranged :P!

CGI actually did it, I have my old name back! Thanks dude!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
CGI-Quality said:

That could be arranged :P!

That's a blast from the past!

@Deyon the forums are absolutely less active than years past, but simply by coming back and making this thread (and others), you're helping. @NintendoPie too :) Honestly, I've been more engaged than usual this past week due to the return of some familiar faces and some added frivolity on the forums.

More threads, more memes, more conversations...it all helps. I don't think we can turn back the clock, but we can definitely improve.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

That's a blast from the past!

@Deyon the forums are absolutely less active than years past, but simply by coming back and making this thread (and others), you're helping. @NintendoPie too :) Honestly, I've been more engaged than usual this past week due to the return of some familiar faces and some added frivolity on the forums.

More threads, more memes, more conversations...it all helps. I don't think we can turn back the clock, but we can definitely improve.

it's fun to be back and posting some but i must say, it does feel empty. i'm so used to posting a topic and then leaving and coming back to 100 replies haha.

i think that you can see some increase in activity in the famitsu threads alone. the fact those are getting such engagement is surprising and i think this has to do with an exciting time for nintendo and playstation fans and then the microsoft acquisition engaging everyone else. there's some crazy stuff going on in the industry and that obviously leads to talking!

once the switch 2 is announced, i'm sure things will pick up even more.

I agree with everyone who said has dropped off because of the lack of real console wars. I remember when I first started coming here people cared so much more about their console of choice. I remember when Chad Warden made that ps triple video and people lost their shit. Including me haha. Good times.

I like it when my mom goes out of town because I get to sleep on her side of the bed. -William Montgomery

Around the Network

One issue is that solid data used to be a lot easier to acquire and discuss, before digital sales really took off. For example, it seems like each year NPD/Circana seems to give even less relevant information than the year before. It's not surprising to me that the Famitsu thread still gets activity, because that is one place where we still get solid data on a regular basis.

Welcome to old age

Forums are an old person's game.

All these young ones use TIkTok, Instagram, Twitch, whatever the next cool thing will be. Their brains are wired differently they need affection and love from a fan base instead of want to participate online and have meaningful discussions.

SuperJortendo said:

I agree with everyone who said has dropped off because of the lack of real console wars. I remember when I first started coming here people cared so much more about their console of choice. I remember when Chad Warden made that ps triple video and people lost their shit. Including me haha. Good times.

Don't forget (he has also made one for PS4 and PS5)

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

So many games are cross platform that console wars have died out. And for me, MS doesn't have exclusives like GoW, Last, etc.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Internet forums in general are on the decline. It's not unique to this site. Seems unlikely to me that there's anything VGC could do to reverse this larger trend.