By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Discuss the state of the forums and find solutions

hmm I must be so old that the first thing I do on my mobile is force it to load the desktop site for any website I go to lol.

Just easier with less clicks in my opinion and our screens are so big now you can literally see the full site anyway..

Around the Network

I was just looking up the people who hadn't sent their lists for the Greatest Games Event and noticed one user was missing entirely, just found them here...

CatGuy said:

i didnt know this thread existed, i have been wanting to dedicate a my own thread to this because i feel like i have a few pretty good ideas. there are a couple things that i think could be done to increase activity and bring vgc back to its glory days. and no, this has nothing to do with ps5, this has been trending this way a long time before the current gen started.

i think for starters, the rules need to loosen up a bit. people can get banned for mild trolling or for being silly and posting dumb threads, but i think if we allowed a little more of this, we can attract and retain some very talented users and keep them in our ecosystem. the kind of users who are creative and have ideas, keep the entertainment value high for the site. i know once the site started gaining popularity there had to be crackdowns and you couldnt let it be like the wild west, but i think new rules and a new way of thought are appropriate for a new age.

to kind of go along with this idea, id say users who got banned, maybe consider unbanning them and send them a message to their registered email letting them know that they are welcome back and see how that goes. vgchartz has a great history with a wonderful cast of characters over the years and i think some have got lost because some of the users had too many infractions, or maybe they had a blow up and said some things they regretted and got perma banned (understandably so). I think we can be reasonable and say well that happened a long time ago and lets give them another chance. i think a lot of these people would be more than happy to jump back on board and start participating again.

those are just a few ideas, and yes i know it may seem a little radical, but i think they are worth considering. rules and regulations are necessary, but what is going to make this site thrive are the characters. consider rolstoppable. rol is a valued member of the community, and there could be other users out there who were bringing a lot to the table like he has and is. now i know, rol is a special talent and he trolls in a very expert and well crafted way that keeps him out of trouble, but most people are not that clever. again, i think we have to lower the bar a little bit to get more big fun characters like that active and participating on this site more. i really think its important to get some fun members active, and i think we can see things change around here if we reimagine this a little bit

I don't even know whose alt this was, neither do I know what they did in the past, but this post was really heartfelt and I agree with some of what it has to say, it's really sad that they were just shut down like that, I wonder if the mod team had a conversation with them at the very least. I do think there are some things that should be permaban-worthy, but for most things, does it really need to be permanent? I say this because I've had my struggles in an online community this past year, and I said some things and did some things that I regret, I was in a dark place and it hurts a lot to not be able to take things back. The internet is too ruthless and unforgiving... this place was ahead of its time in that sense.

I don't know, just felt really sad reading this and seeing no response from anyone.

mZuzek said:

I was just looking up the people who hadn't sent their lists for the Greatest Games Event and noticed one user was missing entirely, just found them here...

I don't even know whose alt this was, neither do I know what they did in the past, but this post was really heartfelt and I agree with some of what it has to say, it's really sad that they were just shut down like that, I wonder if the mod team had a conversation with them at the very least. I do think there are some things that should be permaban-worthy, but for most things, does it really need to be permanent? I say this because I've had my struggles in an online community this past year, and I said some things and did some things that I regret, I was in a dark place and it hurts a lot to not be able to take things back. The internet is too ruthless and unforgiving... this place was ahead of its time in that sense.

I don't know, just felt really sad reading this and seeing no response from anyone.

It was angrypoolman's alt, one of his many. At one point he even got a true second chance from the mod team, but it didn't take long until the mods had to call it off, because angrypoolman did his usual thing again.

The idea to bring back permanently banned users isn't new at all. It's commonly being suggested by alt accounts, but at times also from regular users who miss the higher level of activity while looking at the past with rose-tinted glasses, making them forget how obnoxious and tiresome said activity actually was.

Granted, it's possible that someone really changed after they got permabanned, but that will definitely be a rare thing. Those who haven't changed are quite easy to spot though; when someone has created multiple alt accounts already, it's clear that they still do not respect the rules. You also have to consider that the progressive moderation system on this site has given any given user more than enough chances to behave in line; VGC isn't a toxic pool like ResetEra where swift permabans happen. So when CatGuy asks for yet another chance, it's hard to feel any sympathy for such a request, especially when you know who he was and is.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Many OGs (like ethomaz) got banned + younger generation doesn't use the internet on desktops & VGCHartz Mobile is horrendous + us older folks are too busy in our mid-career to frequent + sales became 'irrelevant' + infinite choice now for places like Reddit. At this point it 'is what it is' unless significant investment is made (which it won't be).

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

mZuzek said:

CatGuy said:

i didnt know this thread existed, i have been wanting to dedicate a my own thread to this because i feel like i have a few pretty good ideas. there are a couple things that i think could be done to increase activity and bring vgc back to its glory days. and no, this has nothing to do with ps5, this has been trending this way a long time before the current gen started.

i think for starters, the rules need to loosen up a bit. people can get banned for mild trolling or for being silly and posting dumb threads, but i think if we allowed a little more of this, we can attract and retain some very talented users and keep them in our ecosystem. the kind of users who are creative and have ideas, keep the entertainment value high for the site. i know once the site started gaining popularity there had to be crackdowns and you couldnt let it be like the wild west, but i think new rules and a new way of thought are appropriate for a new age.

to kind of go along with this idea, id say users who got banned, maybe consider unbanning them and send them a message to their registered email letting them know that they are welcome back and see how that goes. vgchartz has a great history with a wonderful cast of characters over the years and i think some have got lost because some of the users had too many infractions, or maybe they had a blow up and said some things they regretted and got perma banned (understandably so). I think we can be reasonable and say well that happened a long time ago and lets give them another chance. i think a lot of these people would be more than happy to jump back on board and start participating again.

those are just a few ideas, and yes i know it may seem a little radical, but i think they are worth considering. rules and regulations are necessary, but what is going to make this site thrive are the characters. consider rolstoppable. rol is a valued member of the community, and there could be other users out there who were bringing a lot to the table like he has and is. now i know, rol is a special talent and he trolls in a very expert and well crafted way that keeps him out of trouble, but most people are not that clever. again, i think we have to lower the bar a little bit to get more big fun characters like that active and participating on this site more. i really think its important to get some fun members active, and i think we can see things change around here if we reimagine this a little bit

The thing is, if someone is really determined to be a part of the community in a positive way, nobody is stopping them.

Lets suppose someone is permabanned. They create a new account, start posting, and don't do the things that got them banned in the first place and generally follow the rules. What would happen? From my experience, probably nothing. Nobody's going to bother looking into whether they're an alt if they're not causing any problems. I would wager there have been or are some users who had been permabanned and returned under another name and just flew under the radar. 

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:

The thing is, if someone is really determined to be a part of the community in a positive way, nobody is stopping them.

Lets suppose someone is permabanned. They create a new account, start posting, and don't do the things that got them banned in the first place and generally follow the rules. What would happen? From my experience, probably nothing. Nobody's going to bother looking into whether they're an alt if they're not causing any problems. I would wager there have been or are some users who had been permabanned and returned under another name and just flew under the radar. 

I don't know, I don't think I'd feel right with myself knowingly coming back into a community with a different name, pretending to be someone else. I'd want people to know. But that's just me.

JWeinCom said:
mZuzek said:

*Remembers to do his monthly search and nuke on potential alts*

mZuzek said:
JWeinCom said:

I don't know, I don't think I'd feel right with myself knowingly coming back into a community with a different name, pretending to be someone else. I'd want people to know. But that's just me.

I mean, that's the idea. The point of a permaban isn't because they are wanted back. Point I was trying to make is that they have the opportunity to come back if it's important enough and they are going to not be assholes. They may have to sacrifice their old user name and be willing to start fresh. Rolling out the red carpet and inviting people back seems unnecessary and probably unwise. 

CGI-Quality said:
JWeinCom said:

*Remembers to do his monthly search and nuke on potential alts*

You'll never find all of my alts. I have alts for my alts' alts. You may be my alt and not even know it.