By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Discuss the state of the forums and find solutions

@trunkswd 

That's cool and all, and I don't mean to disrespect the hard work people are doing, but I personally just don't see a major turnaround major money. But, hopefully I'm wrong.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:

@trunkswd 

That's cool and all, and I don't mean to disrespect the hard work people are doing, but I personally just don't see a major turnaround major money. But, hopefully I'm wrong.

We aren't expecting a huge turnaround and the site to go back to where it was 10-15 years ago. But having a more usable mobile version will help with the active users and maybe people who end up on the site via Google or wherever on their phone will be able to navigate it a bit better. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
JWeinCom said:

@trunkswd 

We aren't expecting a huge turnaround and the site to go back to where it was 10-15 years ago. But having a more usable mobile version will help with the active users and maybe people who end up on the site via Google or wherever on their phone will be able to navigate it a bit better. 

Yeah, it'll generate more than what it is now and may even invite a resurgence of past users (particularly if the past few weeks is anything to go by).

RolStoppable said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

That exodus you talk about was way before the switch release and had nothing to do with switch. Or maibe there was two exodus lol 

No fucking sane  playstation fan would want to sign up , they would just read news articles  and comments and NOPE THE FUCK OUT.

I wasn't talking about pezus and his gang leaving for Vizioneck.

In 2017 the forums were already smaller and most people knew each other. This means that when someone talked shit, a lot of people were going to remember who that guy was, i.e. raised accountability. Pre-2017, there was already rampant discussion about how and why Nintendo should go third party, so 2017 was meant to be the year that sealed the deal. This was further fueled by lax moderation for trolling Nintendo, so early 2017 was really the perfect storm to go all out and talk crap about Nintendo. The gulf between predicted Switch sales and actual Switch sales was tremendous, so it wasn't that much of a surprise that quite a few previously very active users took a hiatus, if they even came back at all. Or that some began to get banned, because their trolling couldn't be dressed up as an acceptable argument anymore.

youd get banned for calling people not on this site cucks

that was the moment shit went downhill

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
RolStoppable said:

I wasn't talking about pezus and his gang leaving for Vizioneck.

In 2017 the forums were already smaller and most people knew each other. This means that when someone talked shit, a lot of people were going to remember who that guy was, i.e. raised accountability. Pre-2017, there was already rampant discussion about how and why Nintendo should go third party, so 2017 was meant to be the year that sealed the deal. This was further fueled by lax moderation for trolling Nintendo, so early 2017 was really the perfect storm to go all out and talk crap about Nintendo. The gulf between predicted Switch sales and actual Switch sales was tremendous, so it wasn't that much of a surprise that quite a few previously very active users took a hiatus, if they even came back at all. Or that some began to get banned, because their trolling couldn't be dressed up as an acceptable argument anymore.

youd get banned for calling people not on this site cucks

that was the moment shit went downhill

Are we allowed to call people on this site cucks?

Edit: Asking for my wife's boyfriend

I like it when my mom goes out of town because I get to sleep on her side of the bed. -William Montgomery

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
JWeinCom said:

Well, that's kind of the issue I guess. Changing the site's trajectory would mean changes and changes would mean money. Maybe the market's just too competitive, it's not worth the investment, and the powers that be are just content to enjoy whatever income comes their way during the declining year. Certainly a respectable position, and honestly the path I would probably take. As a 90's kid I definitely have a nostalgia for web based forums, but I just don't think that's where the money is at anymore. 

Bandorr is going to learn and try to make improvements with the mobile version of the site. I have created a thread for people to post any issues / suggestions on ways to fix / improve it. 

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/247526/vgchartz-on-mobile/1/

Needs one fix, stop having so many giant advertisements that take up 70% of the page and won't go away.  Posting here is honestly a challenge to navigate because of ads.  Many times I take a break from VG because I simply because of the ads.

I think the state of the forums is great, honestly. Yes, there are faction-fights, one side vs the other side stuff etc, but that is just the nature of the hobby, especially when it comes to online communities. But over all, everyone seems really nice and cordial, and they're always willing to help another member out when they can. As long as you're respectful, and making an honest attempt to be polite to others, this place is amazing, imo. I love it.

It's funny mods can mock your mental state and insult you but then ban you for it. Cool. It's trolling if you have a different view. Bye.

Last edited by Leynos - on 28 August 2023

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

It's annoying seeing successful YT shorts and vids about game/console sales that VGC could have made years earlier.

Why hasn't VGC started doing a monthly podcast/YT show?

Why hasn't Rol been tapped up yet?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

i didnt know this thread existed, i have been wanting to dedicate a my own thread to this because i feel like i have a few pretty good ideas. there are a couple things that i think could be done to increase activity and bring vgc back to its glory days. and no, this has nothing to do with ps5, this has been trending this way a long time before the current gen started.

i think for starters, the rules need to loosen up a bit. people can get banned for mild trolling or for being silly and posting dumb threads, but i think if we allowed a little more of this, we can attract and retain some very talented users and keep them in our ecosystem. the kind of users who are creative and have ideas, keep the entertainment value high for the site. i know once the site started gaining popularity there had to be crackdowns and you couldnt let it be like the wild west, but i think new rules and a new way of thought are appropriate for a new age.

to kind of go along with this idea, id say users who got banned, maybe consider unbanning them and send them a message to their registered email letting them know that they are welcome back and see how that goes. vgchartz has a great history with a wonderful cast of characters over the years and i think some have got lost because some of the users had too many infractions, or maybe they had a blow up and said some things they regretted and got perma banned (understandably so). I think we can be reasonable and say well that happened a long time ago and lets give them another chance. i think a lot of these people would be more than happy to jump back on board and start participating again.

those are just a few ideas, and yes i know it may seem a little radical, but i think they are worth considering. rules and regulations are necessary, but what is going to make this site thrive are the characters. consider rolstoppable. rol is a valued member of the community, and there could be other users out there who were bringing a lot to the table like he has and is. now i know, rol is a special talent and he trolls in a very expert and well crafted way that keeps him out of trouble, but most people are not that clever. again, i think we have to lower the bar a little bit to get more big fun characters like that active and participating on this site more. i really think its important to get some fun members active, and i think we can see things change around here if we reimagine this a little bit

Last edited by CatGuy - on 24 October 2023