By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Discuss the state of the forums and find solutions

CGI-Quality said:
Deyon said:

You took too long to reply so I automatically assumed fun threads are allowed and did it UwU

Nope. Was just locked. 😉

That sort of spat is their issue. No need for threads to highlight it.

dude not fun

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Deyon said:

Couldn't agree more with the last sentence.

I'm pretty much always outta the house and trying to stay on this site for more than 10 seconds on my phone is literally a headache. The way the site functions on mobile should be the #1 priority to the team imo.

That would need a complete redesign of the website. It's built as desktop-first and then adapted for mobile instead of mobile-first as is the industry standard since about 2015.

This is a reason I still come here. I miss when desktop-first was the norm.

From what I can remember the reason for many people leaving the forums was because of the political discourse that plagued many threads around mostly from around 2019-2020. There was a lot of toxicity around the forums and the mods had to step in and hand out bans for some people. There was a big conflict between forum user and mods and many people ended up leaving. I think it has less to do with console wars and more to do with how bad the political climate was at the time.

Norion said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

That would need a complete redesign of the website. It's built as desktop-first and then adapted for mobile instead of mobile-first as is the industry standard since about 2015.

Many sites these days are mobile-first but haven't changed their design or layout for their desktop page. While it takes a bit more work, it's absolutely possible to make a website work flawlessy on desktop and on mobile that way.

Eric2048 said:

From what I can remember the reason for many people leaving the forums was because of the political discourse that plagued many threads around mostly from around 2019-2020. There was a lot of toxicity around the forums and the mods had to step in and hand out bans for some people. There was a big conflict between forum user and mods and many people ended up leaving. I think it has less to do with console wars and more to do with how bad the political climate was at the time.

I don't recall there being political issues, but than again I stay away from the politics section of the site. And stick with the sales and gaming topics. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
trunkswd said:

I do appreciate people bringing up issues with the site. Especially with the ads and the mobile version issues. If people can post more screenshots of the site on mobile that would be great. Especially of any issues. Whether it is with ads or any other issues. 

Some of the things can’t be shown with screenshots, it’s issues with how the site functions, I used to use the charts/tools on this site all the time but they are such a pain to use that I don’t even bother anymore.

The site just feels like a relic of the past.

Minus the ads it is possible the coders could fix up some of the issues with mobile. But I wouldn't know as I am not a coder. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Norion said:

Many sites these days are mobile-first but haven't changed their design or layout for their desktop page. While it takes a bit more work, it's absolutely possible to make a website work flawlessy on desktop and on mobile that way.

Yeah though some desktop sites have gotten worse unfortunately. While there have been changes I do like how the core look of this place hasn't changed drastically the entire time I've been here including when I was just lurking.

trunkswd said:

I do appreciate people bringing up issues with the site. Especially with the ads and the mobile version issues. If people can post more screenshots of the site on mobile that would be great. Especially of any issues. Whether it is with ads or any other issues. 

Couldn’t you guys just sign out and look at the site with the ads?  I guess I’m not really sure how you guys are set up, but it seems like something you should be able to test out?

trunkswd said:
Eric2048 said:

I don't recall there being political issues, but than again I stay away from the politics section of the site. And stick with the sales and gaming topics. 

Politics was very, very bad here.  I actually had to remove the Politics forum from my feed.  Just lots of nasty, toxic behavior.  That's all well and good when discussing which game or console is better, but when it is something as pervasive and world altering as political movements it can be very emotionally distressing. I do agree that the Politics of the site got kind of wonky during those times...but I do not believe that that led to the mass exodus of folks from the site.  Those exits happened well before and if we're being honest, the politics that were being discussed on the site probably resulted in more traffic flow, not less.

super_etecoon said:
trunkswd said:

Politics was very, very bad here.  I actually had to remove the Politics forum from my feed.  Just lots of nasty, toxic behavior.  That's all well and good when discussing which game or console is better, but when it is something as pervasive and world altering as political movements it can be very emotionally distressing. I do agree that the Politics of the site got kind of wonky during those times...but I do not believe that that led to the mass exodus of folks from the site.  Those exits happened well before and if we're being honest, the politics that were being discussed on the site probably resulted in more traffic flow, not less.

I removed politics from my feed years ago, so I definitely missed it. I do agree that arguing which console is better than the other isn't like arguing about politics. I've seen how much worse politics can get on Twitter than even the worst fanboys.