By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz on Mobile

Following complaints to issues with using the site on mobile in another thread I decided to create this thread for people to list any issues you come across when trying to use the site on mobile. Images, videos, descriptions of the issues would be greatly appreciated. 

We are aware the ads on mobile are really bad, but that is something we can't do much about right now. Though, pictures/videos of ads on mobile are still welcome. The more we get the more likely we are to convince the owner that changes with ads on mobile need to be done. I will also make note of some possible changes to the ads so they are less obnoxious.

Bandorr doesn't have much experience with mobile, but is willing to learn and fix issues with using the site on mobile. 

Bugs / Suggestions / Fixes / Etc.

Scrolling

• Being able to scroll left and right leads to having giant black voids on the sides. Lock scrolling to up and down only?
  • Slider to make scrolling faster.
  • "Bottom of Page" or "Most Recent Post" button for threads?

Ads

• Shrink the size of ads so they don't take up nearly as much of the screen
  • Have ads no longer coverup rich text reply / anywhere near reply box (This has prevented people from posting on the forums).

The charts/Tools having issues due to being shrunk down so much.

• Platform totals page not being able to see worldwide figures
  • Hardware by date being too thin and consoles covering part of the graph

Rich Text Reply

• When quoting someone if it is a big quote you need to scroll down in the reply box in order to add your reply to it. Maybe have it so in the reply box it is auto scrolled to the bottom of it? 

Front Page

• Change the drop downs between the bar graph and hardware charts, so they are no longer next to each other. Have "Current" above the weekly drop down.
  • (Maybe?) Move Prediction League from bottom of first column to bottom of third column, so there is less scrolling on mobile to get to the articles and forums sections. As not many people use the Prediction League.

Bugs Fixed / Suggestions Implemented

• The "burger" (3 lines) when NOT on the front page when clicking through ("Charts" "Tools" Game DB" "Articles" "Forum") to show another drop down no longer redirects you to the front page.

Fix for Rich Text Editor not working properly:

1. Go to https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/settings/preferences/
  2. Click "Forum Options"
  3. Make sure "Disable Mobile Editor" has a checkmark
  4. Click "Update Preferences"

Bandorr can look to see if we can tick "Disable Mobile Editor" for everyone. Does anyone use the mobile editor or would you all rather have the standard editor that is on desktop?

Last edited by trunkswd - on 25 July 2023

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

One of the biggest things I would like to see is a slider on the right side of the page so that I don’t have to scroll, scroll, scroll down to the bottom of a page to catch up with the discussion. A simple “bottom of the page” or “most recent post” button would also be nice.

i feel like having the sales and the articles and basically everything else on top of the forums is a bad design choice for mobile. sales don't seem as important to this site anymore since VGC isn't predicting themselves and the industry as a whole continues to get stingier with data.

if possible, i would move up the forums and articles higher so they're easier and quicker to access on mobile. the sales data could be hidden in the hamburger as well as further down in the scroll. the text size and spacing between articles could also be minimized so more can be seen at once. it almost feels like everything is too zoomed in.

also, i know someone posted pictures of the ads in deyon's thread. those need to be fixed as well. it'd be better if the ads were just skinny banners instead of half-page pop-ups. if ioi wants to keep video pop-up ads, they have to be smaller. as it is, they take up so much screen real estate that you literally can't scroll.

appreciate you and the rest of the team taking this seriously!

Last edited by NintendoPie - on 15 July 2023

I'm curious, does everyone else's rich text reply look like this?

Mine does but Trunks doesn't.

(I've never really used mobile on VGChartz).

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 15 July 2023

Ryuu96 said:

That’s how it looks for me as well. 

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:

i feel like having the sales and the articles and basically everything else on top of the forums is a bad design choice for mobile. sales don't seem as important to this site anymore since VGC isn't predicting themselves and the industry as a whole continues to get stingier with data.

if possible, i would move up the forums and articles higher so they're easier and quicker to access on mobile. the sales data could be hidden in the hamburger as well as further down in the scroll. the text size and spacing between articles could also be minimized so more can be seen at once. it almost feels like everything is too zoomed in.

also, i know someone posted pictures of the ads in deyon's thread. those need to be fixed as well. it'd be better if the ads were just skinny banners instead of half-page pop-ups. if ioi wants to keep video pop-up ads, they have to be smaller. as it is, they take up so much screen real estate that you literally can't scroll.

You can move around the home page stuff in your account settings.  I know the forum shows up at the top on mine.  

gtotheunit91 said:
Ryuu96 said:

That’s how it looks for me as well. 

Okay so...Yeah...

This definitely needs fixing, there's no format options, no bullet points, numbering, underline, strikethrough, alignment, spoiler tagging, tweet embedding, table creating, video embedding, Lol.

Oh and no way to preview the post either.

If i'm being honest the only issue with VGChartz mobile I have has to do with ads. The lower 40% of my screen is taken up by them. Could be an apple/safari thing though. They are video ads, and I can't just wait for the ad to disappear as it just plays another one or the same one over and over. The banner ads are fine though

Last edited by badskywalker - on 15 July 2023

There should be an outright block on ads being able to display themselves over the rich text reply as well, or anywhere near the reply box, I've heard in the past about Ads popping up and preventing users from being able to write a reply. Funnily, the ads aren't even an issue for me on Mobile...I don't really get many intrusive ones but it's what I heard from other users.

gergroy said:
NintendoPie said:

You can move around the home page stuff in your account settings.  I know the forum shows up at the top on mine.  

I totally forgot about that as an option. It is on this page - https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/settings/preferences/ - where it says "Flip Hot Topics and Sales on Homepage"

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.