By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much will Nintendo cut the price of the Switch?

Man... these console makers have to love this new era of no price drops. Launch a console at X amount of dollars, then seven years later, you're basically a printing press.

Around the Network

Right now, $0

They have no incentive or reason to drop the price when it's still selling extremely well. At least not before Switch 2's announcement/reveal.
Best case scenario would be that immediately after they announce and reveal Switch 2 they immediately drop the prices for all the models, like as soon as that reveal video drops, just a few minutes later: "Nintendo is dropping the price for all Switch 1 SKUs: Lite - $150, OLED - $300. I originally that they might cut the standard SKU to $250, but what zorg said sounds much more likely - they just might discontinue that model all together and ride w/ the Lite and OLED for the remainder of its life cycle.

Because Nintendo has to know that as soon as they officially reveal their successor, that is going to cut a good chunk of the Switch's legs out from underneath it. ESPECIALLY if Switch 2 is fully backwards compatible. In that case, anyone who was looking to upgrade or replace their Switch units, or those very select few who still hadn't gotten one up to that point, they can just wait a little longer, save up more of their money, and jump on Switch 2 whenever it comes out. Especially if the price isn't TOO outrageous and if it's close enough to the OLED model. $350 would be the sweet spot, but I think $400 might be more likely since Nintendo wants to sell at a profit right out of the gate.

Like most, I just do not how and why in the heck they would even want to do a price drop on the thing. To liquidate stocks at the tail end of the system once the Switch 2 has been long released maybe but aside from that. They do not care enough about the "small" added install base coming from such a cut to make it happen.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

haxxiy said:

AFAIK the Switch has never seen an APU die shrink - only a sideway move to TSMC's 16nm finfet - and most of its components are mature tech. So there are not a lot of reasons to believe it's much cheaper to manufacture today than it was six years ago, and that's without taking inflation into account. Probably no price cuts.

Correct.

They took the 20nm planar chip and re-spun it on the 16nm finfet. - Offered about a 15-20% smaller chip thanks to density improvements and refinement to the chip itself.

However, 16nm FF is actually a very cheap process and getting cheaper, especially for small chips like the Tegra X1 as advertised process nodes like 7-5-3nm are getting all the competition driving up prices as customers move downwards to newer nodes. I.E. AMD used Asmedia for the X670 chipset which is built at 6nm.

The DRAM and NAND though, both are at some of their lowest costs ever.

The Switch should be cheaper to manufacture even with inflation applying pressure.

Only reason we haven't had a price cut is because Nintendo simply has not needed one, they are a business, they will take every dollar they can.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
haxxiy said:

AFAIK the Switch has never seen an APU die shrink - only a sideway move to TSMC's 16nm finfet - and most of its components are mature tech. So there are not a lot of reasons to believe it's much cheaper to manufacture today than it was six years ago, and that's without taking inflation into account. Probably no price cuts.

Correct.

They took the 20nm planar chip and re-spun it on the 16nm finfet. - Offered about a 15-20% smaller chip thanks to density improvements and refinement to the chip itself.

However, 16nm FF is actually a very cheap process and getting cheaper, especially for small chips like the Tegra X1 as advertised process nodes like 7-5-3nm are getting all the competition driving up prices as customers move downwards to newer nodes. I.E. AMD used Asmedia for the X670 chipset which is built at 6nm.

The DRAM and NAND though, both are at some of their lowest costs ever.

The Switch should be cheaper to manufacture even with inflation applying pressure.

Only reason we haven't had a price cut is because Nintendo simply has not needed one, they are a business, they will take every dollar they can.

Switch was profitable from day one. My guess is switch cost Nintendo around 70$-100$ to make today.

Around the Network

As I have said for years.

They won't.

Switch is still selling quite nicely, no point in dropping the price.

I see many people saying they won't because it's still selling well, and there's no denying that it is. My point is that I think they'd make more money on software sales if they reduced the price than they'd lose by selling it at a reduced price. They'd only need those new customers to buy two games to make up that $100, and I think that with the amount and variety of games available there are very few people who wouldn't buy at least two.

That said, maybe the people waiting for a reduced price would be less likely to buy multiple $60 games. I don't know. Still makes sense to me that they'd reduce the price this year but I'm clearly in the minority here so I'm probably wrong.

I like it when my mom goes out of town because I get to sleep on her side of the bed. -William Montgomery

They will never drop the price. Nonpoint in doing that. The Switch 2 will be $400.

Sales are actually not slowing down. Switch outsells PS5 since the release of TotK and Switch has the highest selling week 24, 25 and 26 in its history. At this point, I wouldn't even take a 2024 release as granted.

Due to inflation I don't think there will be a huge price cut. Maybe 50 $ for each model, right before the launch of the successor.

Nintendo could also leave the price of Switch as it is and add a digital game for free, like they do with Mario Kart during the holiday season.

Last edited by siebensus4 - on 03 July 2023

If Nintendo were going to drop the price of Switch, they would've done that 2 or 3 years ago. 6 years into a consoles lifespan, they're going to carry the same price point till the next-gen Switch is announced.

Nintendo has no financial incentive to drop the price either. From day one, Nintendo wasn't selling the Switch at a loss. 6 years later, and the Switch is still selling insanely well with a massive system seller title 2 months ago and another huge system seller title releasing in 3 and a half months. Nintendo gonna juice every last dollar out of the Switch at launch price.