By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much will Nintendo cut the price of the Switch?

Unless Switch 2 is $450 or higher, Nintendo will have to cut the price of Switch before then. Then again, PS4 Pro (though it was almost discontinued by then) was still $399.99 when PS5 launched. So, if you bought it at full price you were paying as much as the standard price of a PS5 All-Digital for far worse specs. The Xbox One S was similarly priced to the Xbox Series S, and I think the Xbox One X was more expensive than the Series S around the time of discontinuation.
Even still, Switch has never been sold at a loss, Xbox and PlayStation are sold at a loss (at least early on).
If Switch 2 is $299.99 Iunlikely), Nintendo will probably lower the price a good amount on Switch. The normal Switch would probably be discontinued, and Switch OLED would retail for about $200-$250 and Switch Lite would be $150-$170.
Expect Switch to go down to at least $250 at some point, but don't wait for it. If you're banking on a Switch price drop, you're looking at a frustrating future.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

I'm not convinced Nintendo will do a price cut honestly. Sales aren't as good as 2020/2021, but both hardware and software sales are still high enough for them not to really change their strategy. Because of how mature the platform is, there's no real guarantee a price drop would cause software sales to jump to a level that would drastically offset the profit they make off the hardware costing what it does right now.

The other incentive for Nintendo to not want to cut the Switch price is they can transition to Switch 2 easier if Switch OLED remains at $350 ... that means if Switch 2 shows up for say ... $399.99 ... that's not a big jump from the price people already are accustomed to paying.

Just like PS4 Pro was $399.99 with no price cuts and then Sony launched PS5 at $399.99 (disc less in limited quantities) and $499.99 (w/disc).

To be honest I don't think Nintendo really will officially ever price cut the Switch during its lifetime.Price cuts have become a thing of the past for all 3 companies for the most part I'll say. Companies are no longer concerned about making a super powerful,expensive to produce console at this point because they realize that powerful hardware doesn't matter how successful a console will be so all 3 companies are now prioritizing profit over specs, making the consoles relatively inexpensive at launch to the point where there isn't much room for price cuts. The PS4 didn't get an official price cut once the price dropped to 299$ and same with the Wii U where nintendo never officially dropped the price of the Wii U after the 50$ price cut in 2013 to prioritize profit despite low sales.

If Nintendo wasn't willing to drop the price of the Wii U much even tho it was their worst selling console ever, then what makes us think that they'd be willing to do it for their most successful platform ever the Switch, which will be at a whopping 140 Million with 0 price cuts. There are so many Switches out there to the point where you gotta ask if there's even much more potential consumers left in the market for the price cut to have any effect. I think Nintendo's defintely going to focus on making profit per Switch sold over just trying to sell more switches.

SuperJortendo said:

Didn't mean to post this without the poll. Mods please delete this to save me from embarrassment

You can edit your thread and add a poll

We reap what we sow

Around the Network

Price cut will just depend on if Nintendo wants to completely kill off the Switch the day the successor launches (or likely the day the successor's price is announced), or if they want to still have a market for selling the Switch for a while after the successor comes out.

There is no way Switch 2 is gonna be over $400, anyone who thinks its gonna be over $400 has not ever paid attention to Nintendo's business strategy. Switch 2 is gonna be in the $350 - $400 range. $370 or $380 would keep it far enough under the $400 price tag that they likely want to avoid for optics of not being seen as an expensive system, while giving them that extra bit of money to make it profitable day one while still providing a full generational leap in specs over the Switch.

Also if it is a very similar system to the Switch and they haven't gone and added some crazy new features that required a lot of research and expense, the R&D of it is likely much lower than past systems.

Anyway, with the successor no doubt coming somewhere in the $350-$400 range, the $300/$350 Switch original/OLED won't have a separate market from the successor at those prices, so it'll die off without a price cut.

Nintendo no doubt makes a very handsome profit on every Switch sold. Even with inflation the original probably costs close to $200 to make at this point given that chip shortages have been going away this year, and OLED I would suspect is not much more than $250. There have been zero price cuts not because of inflation, but because Switch has always sold extremely well so there has never been a market reason to drop the price.

On the extreme end, 12 months from now they could probably drop the Switch to $150/$200/$250 and pretty much cut profit to the bone, and create a separate market or the Switch from a $350+ Switch 2. On the other extreme end they could do no price cuts and kill off the Switch except for the Lite at $200. Or they could go a middle route and drop the hybrid models to $250/$300, leaving the OLED still to close in price to next gen but probably giving the original model a little bit of life left after next gen starts. Though the middle route kinda seems a bit pointless because it probably wouldn't be enough. I think what we'll probably see is Nintendo planning on killing off the Switch quickly except for the Lite, but doing that middle drop of the Switch to $250/$300 not to keep it alive but just to get the final round of stock sold once next gen has started. They'll probably have a few million original/OLED models produced for holiday 2024 and beyond and just make sure that stock doesn't get left on store shelves by doing that $50 price cut. They can then basically completely move their production facilities over to producing the Switch 2, and Nintendo will just want people to be buying a perhaps ~$380 Switch 2 that can play the next 7 years of games rather than the old system.

Slownenberg said:

Price cut will just depend on if Nintendo wants to completely kill off the Switch the day the successor launches (or likely the day the successor's price is announced), or if they want to still have a market for selling the Switch for a while after the successor comes out.

There is no way Switch 2 is gonna be over $400, anyone who thinks its gonna be over $400 has not ever paid attention to Nintendo's business strategy. Switch 2 is gonna be in the $350 - $400 range. $370 or $380 would keep it far enough under the $400 price tag that they likely want to avoid for optics of not being seen as an expensive system, while giving them that extra bit of money to make it profitable day one while still providing a full generational leap in specs over the Switch.

Also if it is a very similar system to the Switch and they haven't gone and added some crazy new features that required a lot of research and expense, the R&D of it is likely much lower than past systems.

Anyway, with the successor no doubt coming somewhere in the $350-$400 range, the $300/$350 Switch original/OLED won't have a separate market from the successor at those prices, so it'll die off without a price cut.

Nintendo no doubt makes a very handsome profit on every Switch sold. Even with inflation the original probably costs close to $200 to make at this point given that chip shortages have been going away this year, and OLED I would suspect is not much more than $250. There have been zero price cuts not because of inflation, but because Switch has always sold extremely well so there has never been a market reason to drop the price.

On the extreme end, 12 months from now they could probably drop the Switch to $150/$200/$250 and pretty much cut profit to the bone, and create a separate market or the Switch from a $350+ Switch 2. On the other extreme end they could do no price cuts and kill off the Switch except for the Lite at $200. Or they could go a middle route and drop the hybrid models to $250/$300, leaving the OLED still to close in price to next gen but probably giving the original model a little bit of life left after next gen starts. Though the middle route kinda seems a bit pointless because it probably wouldn't be enough. I think what we'll probably see is Nintendo planning on killing off the Switch quickly except for the Lite, but doing that middle drop of the Switch to $250/$300 not to keep it alive but just to get the final round of stock sold once next gen has started. They'll probably have a few million original/OLED models produced for holiday 2024 and beyond and just make sure that stock doesn't get left on store shelves by doing that $50 price cut. They can then basically completely move their production facilities over to producing the Switch 2, and Nintendo will just want people to be buying a perhaps ~$380 Switch 2 that can play the next 7 years of games rather than the old system.

Nintendo like to keep their consoles at a low, easy to access cost. They think more family friendly than Microsoft, Sony, Steam, and Meta.
Though based on inflation all Nintendo consoles are in the $350 price range, SNES is priced around $450 from inflation. So I can easily see Nintendo implementing a $350 console at launch.
I will be basing my knowledge from the rumors, some are very viable some aren't. Rumors have been saying that Nintendo will release a cheaper digital only LCD screen console for $399.99 and an expensive cartridge OLED screen console for $449.99. Do I want a $450 console, no.

Either way I say that Nintendo will have a price cut on the Switch, OLED, and Lite after the successor has been released for 6 months.
Switch, OLED, and Lite will be $149.99, $179.99, and $99.99, with bundle deals at $169.99, $199.99 and $119.99 respectively. 
They are no longer focusing on Switch and need it off the shelves at stores. They need to be focused on selling the successor, that is their priority.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.