By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Official Xbox Games Showcase + Starfield Direct thread- Live now!

Rate the Xbox showcase + Starfield direct?

10 6 14.63%

9 9 21.95%

8 16 39.02%

7 3 7.32%

6 5 12.20%

5 1 2.44%

4 1 2.44%

3 0 0%

2 0 0%

1 0 0%

Total:41
EpicRandy said:

Sony /  PlayStation /  PlayStation's social media channels are unaffected by those supposed embargoes as they are presented online. Those only affect actual third parties that have shown content during the main show. Nothing prevents Sony from posting the very same trailer shown and adding 'also coming to PlayStations' and reaping the exact same benefits with/without embargoes. So really doubt your sources' conclusion on this.

It only prevents said thirds party from marketing the titles themselves for other platforms or for coordinating with other entities to market said material on other platforms for 2 days. This is only logical when considering this kind of exposure for 3rd parties is a huge opportunity and this embargo only ensures that there's reciprocity with said opportunity in the vicinity of the show itself.

I kind of get why you have this idea. I'm assuming that you are under the impression that say Sega and Microsoft made an agreement to not advertise a PlayStation version until after they're announced, and Sony doesn't have to abide by that agreement because they're not the ones who signed that agreement.

But that doesn't make any sense when you look at the market. It would completely undermine pretty much every marketing deal in the gaming industry. By that argument, platform holders could reasonably announce games before the third party publisher does. It also would undermine exclusive marketing campaigns. 

It would be tenuous for Sony/MS to announce a game for their platform before the publisher for a number of reasons.

Legally, it's questionable to steal a publisher's trailer for a game, to edit your name onto it; which is basically what you're suggesting.

It would also make it hard to trust Sony/MS with those trailers. If a company you are working with is sharing privileged information, that's not good. 

There might also be publishing agreements in the background, that stipulate that any marketing that happens with a game has to be done with the publisher's permission, so that could be another reason why Sony couldn't do that.

Last edited by the-pi-guy - on 12 June 2023

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
EpicRandy said:

Sony /  PlayStation /  PlayStation's social media channels are unaffected by those supposed embargoes as they are presented online. Those only affect actual third parties that have shown content during the main show. Nothing prevents Sony from posting the very same trailer shown and adding 'also coming to PlayStations' and reaping the exact same benefits with/without embargoes. So really doubt your sources' conclusion on this.

It only prevents said thirds party from marketing the titles themselves for other platforms or for coordinating with other entities to market said material on other platforms for 2 days. This is only logical when considering this kind of exposure for 3rd parties is a huge opportunity and this embargo only ensures that there's reciprocity with said opportunity in the vicinity of the show itself.

I kind of get why you have this idea. I'm assuming that you are under the impression that say Sega and Microsoft made an agreement to not advertise a PlayStation version until after they're announced, and Sony doesn't have to abide by that agreement because they're not the ones who signed that agreement.

But that doesn't make any sense when you look at the market. It would completely undermine pretty much every marketing deal in the gaming industry. By that argument, platform holders could reasonably announce games before the third party publisher does. It also would undermine exclusive marketing campaigns. 

It would be tenuous for Sony/MS to announce a game for their platform before the publisher for a number of reasons.

Legally, it's questionable to steal a publisher's trailer for a game, to edit your name onto it; which is basically what you're suggesting.

It would also make it hard to trust Sony/MS with those trailers. If a company you are working with is sharing privileged information, that's not good. 

ok got it, yeah it makes more sense this way.

But what I'm getting at is that it's kinda expected that when you provide such beneficial exposure to 3rd parties that said exposure is also beneficial to the one providing it. And on that front asking simply for a 2-day embargo that will only protect the benefice in the exact vicinity of the show itself is very generous, and trying to draw other conclusions like (the company is insecure) from that is very much jumping to conclusions. 

EpicRandy said:
the-pi-guy said:

But what I'm getting at is that it's kinda expected that when you provide such beneficial exposure to 3rd parties that said exposure is also beneficial to the one providing it. And on that front asking simply for a 2-day embargo that will only protect the benefice in the exact vicinity of the show itself is very generous, and trying to draw other conclusions like (the company is insecure) from that is very much jumping to conclusions. 

I think people have an issue with it because MS's marketing wasted no time highlighting all the the 3rd party games that were also coming to Xbox right after they were shown at the PS Showcase. To do that and then enforce an alleged 48 hr embargo after their own show seems hypocritical. It's not a big deal. More of a minor annoyance. But it does violate the golden rule of treat others the way you want to be treated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Signalstar said:
EpicRandy said:

I think people have an issue with it because MS's marketing wasted no time highlighting all the the 3rd party games that were also coming to Xbox right after they were shown at the PS Showcase. To do that and then enforce an alleged 48 hr embargo after their own show seems hypocritical. It's not a big deal. More of a minor annoyance. But it does violate the golden rule of treat others the way you want to be treated.

But it does violate the golden rule of treat others the way you want to be treated.

I don't think Xbox would care if PS starts asking for such small embargos on third-party exposure in the future.

Them using the fact Sony did not ask for such restriction in their events is only poking fun at PS. besides the fact that PS is not toothless either, nothing prevents them to do a slyly post to also poke fun at Xbox while not directly announcing those titles on the platform. Such as when Xbox found a slyly way to hint at destiny on Xbox despite Sony's marketing right. Or when Xbox crashed PS3 launch event on a boat. Those should just make you laugh and should only be considered fair digs, getting upset on this like some are is just overreacting.

Back to actually talking about the showcase, Clockwork Revolution just became my most anticipated game after Starfield. inXile are RPG masters and they put out some more information about the game that has me stoked!

The TL:DR from Brian Fargo says

Deep RPG
Full Character Creation
Branching Dialogue System
Awesome Steampunk Weapons
Dark Humor

But the actual quote from the blog says, "Today we announced Clockwork Revolution at the Xbox Games Showcase, a fantastical, first-person action RPG, with dynamic time-bending combat, deep interconnected roleplaying systems, and the ability to create your own unique character from the ground up.

Clockwork Revolution takes place in the vibrant Victorian-era metropolis of Avalon, where steam trains fly overhead, wealthy industrialists replace their limbs with ornate clockwork prosthetics, and mechanical servants fulfill their masters’ every whim.

But this new age of wonders holds a dark secret—it’s been carefully constructed by the ruthless Lady Ironwood. Through use of a time travel device, she’s changed key moments in Avalon’s history, keeping the working class struggling in the slums and factories, while bringing herself immense wealth and power. That’s where you come in…

Discovering Ironwood’s scheme, you’ll use a wondrous device known as the Chronometer to travel back in time, choose how to influence the past, and then return to the present to experience the effects of your decisions. Through unprecedented and complex visual and narrative depth, the choices you make on your trips into the past will change the people, the stories, and the city of Avalon itself in extraordinary and (very often) unexpected ways. In Clockwork Revolution we’re pushing roleplaying reactivity to new heights, infused with the unique texture and personality that you’ve come to expect from our games."

So not only do you have the choice and consequences you would expect from an RPG, but being able to go to the past, make the choices you want to make, then travel back to the present and see on a grand scale just what consequences you have from the choices you made. I seriously can't wait for this game!

Around the Network
gtotheunit91 said:

Back to actually talking about the showcase, Clockwork Revolution just became my most anticipated game after Starfield. inXile are RPG masters and they put out some more information about the game that has me stoked!

The TL:DR from Brian Fargo says

Deep RPG
Full Character Creation
Branching Dialogue System
Awesome Steampunk Weapons
Dark Humor

But the actual quote from the blog says, "Today we announced Clockwork Revolution at the Xbox Games Showcase, a fantastical, first-person action RPG, with dynamic time-bending combat, deep interconnected roleplaying systems, and the ability to create your own unique character from the ground up.

Clockwork Revolution takes place in the vibrant Victorian-era metropolis of Avalon, where steam trains fly overhead, wealthy industrialists replace their limbs with ornate clockwork prosthetics, and mechanical servants fulfill their masters’ every whim.

But this new age of wonders holds a dark secret—it’s been carefully constructed by the ruthless Lady Ironwood. Through use of a time travel device, she’s changed key moments in Avalon’s history, keeping the working class struggling in the slums and factories, while bringing herself immense wealth and power. That’s where you come in…

Discovering Ironwood’s scheme, you’ll use a wondrous device known as the Chronometer to travel back in time, choose how to influence the past, and then return to the present to experience the effects of your decisions. Through unprecedented and complex visual and narrative depth, the choices you make on your trips into the past will change the people, the stories, and the city of Avalon itself in extraordinary and (very often) unexpected ways. In Clockwork Revolution we’re pushing roleplaying reactivity to new heights, infused with the unique texture and personality that you’ve come to expect from our games."

So not only do you have the choice and consequences you would expect from an RPG, but being able to go to the past, make the choices you want to make, then travel back to the present and see on a grand scale just what consequences you have from the choices you made. I seriously can't wait for this game!

I was happy to see inXile have something announced, dampened my hype though with the explicit avoidance of a release window. This is probably announced very early and might have been better kept under wraps for now. As they didn't even commit to 2024, I expect 2025 at earliest. Too far away to get hyped. Sadly, as I would love to see the next project of inXile and Brian Fargo.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Sorry for the late post here, but finally went through the Bingo cards and I'm pretty sure the only winners were @the-pi-guy (middle column) and @ice (bottom left to upper right diagonal). Several others got 4/5 in at least one place, but no actual bingo. If you won and I missed your bingo while glancing through, let me know. 

Edit: I'm mistaken, misread ice's card the first time, he predicted a date for Hellblade 2 which didn't happen, so no bingo there afterall.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 14 June 2023

shikamaru317 said:

Sorry for the late post here, but finally went through the Bingo cards and I'm pretty sure the only winners were @the-pi-guy (middle column) and @ice (bottom left to upper right diagonal). Several others got 4/5 in at least one place, but no actual bingo. If you won and I missed your bingo while glancing through, let me know. 

Edit: I'm mistaken, misread ice's card the first time, he predicted a date for Hellblade 2 which didn't happen, so no bingo there afterall.

lmao I cheated and counted that year date but yeah I was reaching 

Pi guy was the true winner, I'll take 2nd tho 

Persona 3 isn't coming to the Switch, it seems. Either way, I am not surprised, but still disappointed. A lot of third party decisions don't make sense, but this one in particular is stupid af.

Does this mean Metaphor is also skipping the Switch? or has MS money not run dry for SEGA to tell us yet?

LurkerJ said:

Persona 3 isn't coming to the Switch, it seems. Either way, I am not surprised, but still disappointed. A lot of third party decisions don't make sense, but this one in particular is stupid af.

Does this mean Metaphor is also skipping the Switch? or has MS money not run dry for SEGA to tell us yet?

Atlus decides to not bring a game to Switch and yet still manages to get pissed at MS for a game that doesn't release for at minimum 6 months from now as expected though

Atlus is having an event on June 20th if you're so anxious to find out.