By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Unpopular opinion (on the internet): BotW and TotK's weapon durability feature is one of these games greatest mechanics

SvennoJ said:
pikashoe said:

I'm not even sure what you're on about anymore. Once you get to hyrule you can just go wherever your not forced to go anywhere or do anything (unless you want something specific like unlocking sections of the map) although it is recommended to follow some main quests early on for the glider and sky towers for easier traversal. You can get down the chasm under the castle if you want its not that hard. What unskippable sequence? 

I don't really understand why you are going out of your way to not enjoy the game. It seems like every choice you make is to make your own experience worse and then complain about it? You just seem to be wasting your own time for no real reason. I'm reading your comments and just laughing everytime because they are so bizarre. 

That's what you read into it. I enjoy exploration and experimenting, hence trying to fly down into the chasm and using the wing to fly back to lookout town. And yes you have to follow the quests initially to get the paraglider at least (which doesn't work to get into the chasm or maybe just because I tried too early, I dunno, guess I'll follow the quest to see what it takes to get into a chasm)

I don't want to be in a situation again where I don't run into the Korok dude until 80h in lol.

You asked me if I finished the tutorial yet and I replied with where I are in the game. Yet you just see more complaining? If I didn't enjoy experimenting I would not be playing it anymore. Certainly not playing it for the combat. And yes after I died, the whole tower sequence started from scratch, continue back at the bottom before activating the tower without any option to skip the cut scenes. I'm just telling it as I experience it.

Ultrahand is a great mechanic, although a bit clunky and limited in its use. Fuse is ok, feels a bit cheap so far, basically cooking applied to weapons. Recall is useful, Ascend feels like a cheat, the weakest of the bunch. So I focus mostly on Ultra hand and am eager to explore new parts. Not so eager to explore Hyrule again, been there, done that. The mystery of what's beyond that hill is already gone, with it the incentive to climb every peak to look out over the land.

It's a mixed bag, more Zelda great. More Zelda on the same map, not great. New abilities great, same weapon durability not great.

Maybe it's just the way you write but everything you say sounds like complaining. Maybe learn to write in a way that shows you are enjoying something when you are enjoying it. You can get in the chasm whenever from my experience, I didn't immediately go down there but I just went randomly after doing some stuff and had no issues getting down there with the glider.

Hyrule is actually great to explore because so many aspects of it have changed since BotW. I was afraid going in that the map would feel overly familiar but it really doesn't.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:

What unskippable sequence? You can just jump into any chasm and land safely no problem if you have the paraglider. I went down below Hyrule Castle several times already.

The zonai gliders despawn after a few minutes of use but your paraglider doesn't despawn. Or did you not notice that you use durability while gliding? The paraglider closes automatically if you don't have durability left but you can still open it for one second after that, ideally just above the ground. You can also just jump down and open it when you're closer to the ground. You know, falling down doesn't require weird vehicles. And you can steer the direction Link falls in TotK. He goes into a specific position, face downwards when falling.

You couldn't figure this out on your own?

Not yet no. But that explains why it opened once more and closed again when I tried to get the glider to work again. I did not notice any durability or stamina gauge. I tried steering link to water but there wasn't any nearby enough so hit the ground. Game reloaded and put me back before the tower quest (which gives you the paraglider) with the unskippable sequence I just watched.

I was enjoying the scenery while gliding down, my bad. Will try again now I know it's not an off limits zone.

I guess the Zonai platforms have a limited range you can take them? On Sky Island I had them disappear after a while but it didn't seem based on time of use. Thinking back on it it's more likely distance from their original location. Since on a retry I used a platform already closer to my final destination. (And not stopping by the other islands on the way up)

IcaroRibeiro said:
Kakadu18 said:

There are also wind cleavers and in TotK different weapons give various additional abilities and stats. You should be aware of those if you paid any attention in the game. And in addition to that fusing with different items can give weapons even more properties.

The wind leaves just like torches were not exactly designed for combat and that's why I didn't included them

I said wind cleaver, not korok leaf. That weapon functions quite differently and is only designed for combat.

SvennoJ said:
Kakadu18 said:

What unskippable sequence? You can just jump into any chasm and land safely no problem if you have the paraglider. I went down below Hyrule Castle several times already.

The zonai gliders despawn after a few minutes of use but your paraglider doesn't despawn. Or did you not notice that you use durability while gliding? The paraglider closes automatically if you don't have durability left but you can still open it for one second after that, ideally just above the ground. You can also just jump down and open it when you're closer to the ground. You know, falling down doesn't require weird vehicles. And you can steer the direction Link falls in TotK. He goes into a specific position, face downwards when falling.

You couldn't figure this out on your own?

Not yet no. But that explains why it opened once more and closed again when I tried to get the glider to work again. I did not notice any durability or stamina gauge. I tried steering link to water but there wasn't any nearby enough so hit the ground. Game reloaded and put me back before the tower quest (which gives you the paraglider) with the unskippable sequence I just watched.

I was enjoying the scenery while gliding down, my bad. Will try again now I know it's not an off limits zone.

I guess the Zonai platforms have a limited range you can take them? On Sky Island I had them disappear after a while but it didn't seem based on time of use. Thinking back on it it's more likely distance from their original location. Since on a retry I used a platform already closer to my final destination. (And not stopping by the other islands on the way up)

There is a stamina gauge. I don't know how you couldn't see that. You apparently played BotW, but you have no idea how the paraglider works? Have you never seen the green wheel next to Link?

There is no water at the bottom of the chasm below Hyrule Castle btw. Also maybe save beforehand.

Cutscenes can usually be skipped by pressing x. It says that at the bottom right corner.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 27 May 2023

pikashoe said:

I don't really understand why you are going out of your way to not enjoy the game. It seems like every choice you make is to make your own experience worse and then complain about it? You just seem to be wasting your own time for no real reason. I'm reading your comments and just laughing everytime because they are so bizarre. 

Yes.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

There are less than 3000 people polled here, so less than 1 in 10,000 of BOTW's sales alone, (plus a fair few of them are probably trolls who never actually played the game) and hobbyists forums like this represent only the most enthusiast minority of gamers, not the mass market. 

Truth is, forums are often way out of touch with the wider market, because most people don't use gaming forums. If you listened to forums you'd think everyone hated the Wii and loved the Gamecube, yet the Wii sold most than four times what the Gamecube did. 

LOL who cares about the wider market. animal crossing  and pokemon shield are trash games that sell over 30 million is that what you consider quality cause the wider audience buys them. your argument boils down do it has great sales so its not a problem. I enjoy RDR2, GTA6 and BOTW. i'll call like is the combat in those games are bad. now most people don't care about skilled based combat so if thats you. then you  would not care and thats most people

You're the one who claimed that enjoying BOTW/TOTK as they are isn't a popular opinion. Sales are an indicator of popularity, because unpopular games don't sell over 30 million lifetime.

You don't have to like it, but if we're talking about popularity, the mass market does matter, because everyone is entitled to an opinion, not just those who go on gaming forums.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 27 May 2023

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

LOL who cares about the wider market. animal crossing  and pokemon shield are trash games that sell over 30 million is that what you consider quality cause the wider audience buys them. your argument boils down do it has great sales so its not a problem. I enjoy RDR2, GTA6 and BOTW. i'll call like is the combat in those games are bad. now most people don't care about skilled based combat so if thats you. then you  would not care and thats most people

You're the one who claimed that enjoying BOTW/TOTK as they are isn't a popular opinion. Sales are an indicator of popularity, because unpopular games don't sell over 30 million lifetime.

You don't have to like it, but if we're talking about popularity, the mass market does matter, because everyone is entitled to an opinion, not just those who go on gaming forums.

I never said that. all is said was the melee combat was weak and you started talking about sales.

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

I never said that. all is said was the melee combat was weak and you started talking about sales.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9447957

In response to BasilZero saying he liked the system as is, you responded that it's "actually not a popular opinion". Now, given that both games are massively popular, and very positively recieved, the idea that enjoying their core gameplay is "not a popular opinion" doesn't hold much water.

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9447957

In response to BasilZero saying he liked the system as is, you responded that it's "actually not a popular opinion". Now, given that both games are massively popular, and very positively recieved, the idea that enjoying their core gameplay is "not a popular opinion" doesn't hold much water.

I mean you seem like you wanna ignore all feedback and just use sales as something being great. many open world games have sold great because of there open worlds. the gaming community we know the difference between good and mediocre combat, but you can use sales all you want. if thats what makes you think something is great i guess you must have thought all ninendo consoles were crap before switch and wii.

To those people who can't stand this mechanic, who say it's a deal breaker for them, I think you didn't give it a good try with an open mind, so you never got to see that it's not nearly as bad as you thought. Before I explain why I said that, let me point out that I would have preferred if the weapons were more durable. Maybe up to twice as durable as they are in the games. I don't hate the mechanics, I just think they went a bit too far with them. That being said, here's why I think you probably didn't give it a chance:
1. It's so easy to find weapons in the game, it's almost impossible to be completely weaponless once you've gotten past the first 20 minutes of the game.
2. If you need a weapon, it probably means you're fighting an enemy, and almost all the enemies in the game drop their weapons when they are knocked to the ground, so you can easily pick them up mid-combat.
3. If you have a favorite weapon, you have the liberty to fill your inventory with multiple copies of that weapon because like I said earlier, it's very easy to find weapons.
4. There's no point hoarding your best weapons and avoiding fights to avoid weapon durability because the abundance of powerful weapons scales with the time spent in the game (I think it's tied to the number of blood moons you've encountered). The longer you've been playing, the more frequently you'll run into powerful enemies and thus, powerful weapons.
5. Weak enemies hold weak weapons and stong enemies hold strong weapons. This means that if you break some of your own weapons while fighting an enemy camp, you can pick their weapons from them and the weapons will always be strong enough to handle the particular enemies you're currently facing. There's no risk of grabbing a very weak weapon from a strong enemy such that the weapon will hardly do any damage to him.
6. In BOTW, you had the option of building a house for yourself and stocking it with some of your favorite weapons so that when an occasion arises in which you would like more copies of your favs, you could go home and pick them from your armory.
7. Finally, at almost every point in the game, you have an inventory so full of weapons that you would have to drop one if you found a new one to pick up. If the weapons really were breaking too quickly, you wouldn't almost always have a full inventory. This just shows that the rate of weapon drops/new weapon discovery is considerably higher than the rate of weapon breaks.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs