By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Unpopular opinion (on the internet): BotW and TotK's weapon durability feature is one of these games greatest mechanics

zeldaring said:

You think RDR2 and GTAV have great combat? lol. those games and zelda do a lot of great things so they deserve the sales but the combat is just horrible in those games, especially in RDR2 and GTAV.

Then why do the games sell if the gameplay is bad?

"Games and Zelda do a lot of things so they deserve it"

What? Gameplay is the main reason why people buy these games, especially Zelda.

No one's buying Zelda for the story, visuals or music alone - come on lol.

Last edited by BasilZero - on 26 May 2023

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
zeldaring said:

You think RDR2 and GTAV have great combat? lol. those games and zelda do a lot of great things so they deserve the sales but the combat is just horrible in those games, especially in RDR2 and GTAV.

No one's buying Zelda for the story.

who buys zelda for combat? zelda is about exploring and puzzles. now zelda is about a sandbox, exploring and puzzles. Well for it's time zelda 2 had great combat

zeldaring said:

who buys zelda for combat? zelda is about exploring and puzzles. now zelda is about a sandbox, exploring and puzzles.

Everything you mentioned is part of gameplay, whether you like it or not.

Combat is gameplay

Exploration is gameplay

Puzzle solving is gameplay

Weapon durability/item management is gameplay

Crafting/fusing is gameplay

So you agree with me that gameplay is the reason why people buy Zelda and other games.

Just because a person sucks at one aspect in a game's gameplay, doesnt make the game bad.

If the weapon durability is as bad as you say it is and a "Deal breaker", ToTK wouldnt sold as much as it did.

Its only a minority of fans who are complaining, same as the group of people who complained when Final Fantasy went from turn based to action.

Last edited by BasilZero - on 26 May 2023

BasilZero said:
zeldaring said:

who buys zelda for combat? zelda is about exploring and puzzles. now zelda is about a sandbox, exploring and puzzles.

Everything you mentioned is part of gameplay, whether you like it or not.

Combat is gameplay

Exploration is gameplay

Puzzle solving is gameplay

Weapon durability/item management is gameplay

Crafting/fusing is gameplay

So you agree with me that gameplay is the reason why people buy Zelda and other games.

Just because a person sucks at one aspect in a game's gameplay, doesnt make the game bad.

you're argument is silly here. you can have a game do something great like its open world being the most amazing thing ever and have garbage gameplay 

BasilZero said:
zeldaring said:

No one's buying Zelda for the story, visuals or music alone - come on lol.

I buy it for the exploration, experimentation and puzzles.

If there was no combat at all I would be more than fine with it. Combat isn't much fun in TotK, just an obstacle to slow me down. I enjoyed the combat in Windwaker much more than Botw / TotK. Combat and weapon durability is what drags the game down for me.

Gameplay is much more than combat!

Around the Network
zeldaring said:

you argument is silly here. you can have a game do something great like its open world being the most amazing thing ever and have garbage gameplay 

Yet your argument falls apart considering majority of people enjoyed BotW's gameplay and as a result is buying up ToTK.

Your argument that Weapon Durability is a "Deal breaker" doesnt make sense considering the fact the statistics goes against what you think.

The reality is people who find the weapon durability, something so minuscule in the overall gameplay either did not have interest in buying BotW/ToTK because reasons or they just suck at item management and are afraid to jump in because now they actually have to manage their items instead of just swiping the sword and dodging/blocking a enemy like older Zelda games.

The weapon durability isnt even a issue if you know how to properly play. Hell when I was playing BotW, I was running out of space for my weapons and items - and that was even before I got the Master Sword.

This sounds more like a player skill issue than a actual gameplay issue.

SvennoJ said:

If there was no combat at all I would be more than fine with it. Combat isn't much fun in TotK, just an obstacle to slow me down. I enjoyed the combat in Windwaker much more than Botw / TotK. Combat and weapon durability is what drags the game down for me.

Except combat is present in every Zelda game....considering your post history with all the issues you have with other stuff like hardware (gaming PCs, etc) - I think its easy to say in the case of Zelda you just have a skill issue lol.

BasilZero said:
SvennoJ said:

Except combat is present in every Zelda game....considering your post history with all the issues you have with other stuff like hardware (gaming PCs, etc) - I think its easy to say in the case of Zelda you just have a skill issue lol.

I said for some people its a deal breaker. For me the breakable weapons are lazy way to make combat more challenging instead of actually making the combat good just like they do with enemy sponges. Ain't no skill issues here i beat bloodborne, and  sikero. heck i beat sikero 7 times suppose one fo the hardest games ever. what games have you actually played that are known to have great combat?

Last edited by zeldaring - on 26 May 2023

BasilZero said:

So far the combat hasn't posed any challenge, just boring obstacles. In BotW the same. Sure the silver Lynels were harder but all you have to do is roll at the right time. That I can do. It's not a matter of skill, it's just not very interesting to do. But that's not limited to Zelda, combat is simply very low on my list of things to like in games. Honestly I can't remember the last time I wanted to continue a game for its combat system.

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

BOTW and TOTK are two of the highest rated and most beloved games in recent years, BOTW sold over 30 million copies, and TOTK sold over 10 million in three days, I think it's fair to say that enjoying its core gameplay loop is a popular opinion.

yea lets just mention sales everytime we criticize something in a game. do you think the gameplay loop in RDR2 or GTAV is amazing. GTAV has sold 180 million units yet the combat is horrible and so the RDR combat. 

You're allowed to criticize it, but claiming that enjoying it isn't a popular opinion doesn't hold water when we're talking about one of the most acclaimed and successful games of the generation.

I didn't care for GTAV personally, but I'd never claim that enjoying it is an unpopular opinion as clearly a huge number of people like it even if I don't.