By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Unpopular opinion (on the internet): BotW and TotK's weapon durability feature is one of these games greatest mechanics

zeldaring said:
BasilZero said:

Everything you mentioned is part of gameplay, whether you like it or not.

Combat is gameplay

Exploration is gameplay

Puzzle solving is gameplay

Weapon durability/item management is gameplay

Crafting/fusing is gameplay

So you agree with me that gameplay is the reason why people buy Zelda and other games.

Just because a person sucks at one aspect in a game's gameplay, doesnt make the game bad.

you're argument is silly here. you can have a game do something great like its open world being the most amazing thing ever and have garbage gameplay 

Your argument is silly. With garbage gameplay, exploring an amazing open world is anything but amazing. TotK has amazing gameplay and combat is a big part of it. There are way more enemies than in BotW, so there can be way more combat encounters and there's also more incentive to fight since especially stronger enemies give you stronger parts for your weapons.

You should stop pretending like your opinion is fact or everyone's opinion.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
BasilZero said:

Except combat is present in every Zelda game....considering your post history with all the issues you have with other stuff like hardware (gaming PCs, etc) - I think its easy to say in the case of Zelda you just have a skill issue lol.

So far the combat hasn't posed any challenge, just boring obstacles. In BotW the same. Sure the silver Lynels were harder but all you have to do is roll at the right time. That I can do. It's not a matter of skill, it's just not very interesting to do. But that's not limited to Zelda, combat is simply very low on my list of things to like in games. Honestly I can't remember the last time I wanted to continue a game for its combat system.

You can't even roll in the game.

IcaroRibeiro said:

Btw I'm still trying to understand how making the weapons breakable to make players try them all is a good mechanic 

Let's be real: There are only 3 types of weapons in BOTW and TOTK: One hand, two hand and spears. Granted there are boomerangs which are slightly different from other one handed weapons. Combined this with the 3 elemental variations and we have a total of 12 weapons types as far as mechanics are concerned and again most of they will play exactly the same way just with different elemental effects (or lack of elemental effects in the case of non elemental weapons) 

Enemy variety and weakness would be more than enough to force you to rotate all your 12 types of weapons, you don't need to break them at all 

Guys love Zelda, I get it. I love it to. It's one of my favorite games and I get to play it regularly many years after its release because the gameplay looping is really addictive, the puzzles are fun and its very immersive and fun to explore, but come on, not every mechanic introduced here is revolutionary or groundbreaking 

There are also wind cleavers and in TotK different weapons give various additional abilities and stats. You should be aware of those if you paid any attention in the game. And in addition to that fusing with different items can give weapons even more properties.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 27 May 2023

Kakadu18 said:
zeldaring said:

you're argument is silly here. you can have a game do something great like its open world being the most amazing thing ever and have garbage gameplay 

Your argument is silly. With garbage gameplay, exploring an amazing open world is anything but amazing. TotK has amazing gameplay and combat is a big part of it. There are way more enemies than in BotW, so there can be way more combat encounters and there's also more incentive to fight since especially stronger enemies give you stronger parts for your weapons.

i have not played toks and this thread is about both games. another thing is just because a game doesn't have good combat doesn't mean exploring   is crap. Skyrim, GTAV. and RDR2 have lame combat but exploring the world was amazing. it really depends on the combat style you like. of course it my opinion and not fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6yyuDWDKSg&t=295s

if you have 15 minutes this explains why the melee combat is wealk.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 27 May 2023

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

There are less than 3000 people polled here, so less than 1 in 10,000 of BOTW's sales alone, (plus a fair few of them are probably trolls who never actually played the game) and hobbyists forums like this represent only the most enthusiast minority of gamers, not the mass market. 

Truth is, forums are often way out of touch with the wider market, because most people don't use gaming forums. If you listened to forums you'd think everyone hated the Wii and loved the Gamecube, yet the Wii sold most than four times what the Gamecube did. 

LOL who cares about the wider market. animal crossing  and pokemon shield are trash games that sell over 30 million is that what you consider quality cause the wider audience buys them. your argument boils down do it has great sales so its not a problem. I enjoy RDR2, GTA6 and BOTW. i'll call like is the combat in those games are bad. now most people don't care about skilled based combat so if thats you. then you  would not care and thats most people

Animal Crossing is trash? Are you kidding right now? You seriously believe that your opinion is undisputed fact and everyone buys Animal Crossing despite it being supposedly trash and absolutely love the trash and enjoy it for 1000 or more hours and it get's a 90 metascore, is nominated for game of the year keeps selling and is widely praised for it's varied and relaxing gameplay.

But it's trash! So nobody's opinion matters but your own. And no one cares about the wider market because only your garbage opinion matters.

At this point I will just treat you like the troll that you are.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Kakadu18 said:

i have not played toks and this thread is about both games. another thing is just because a game doesn't have good combat doesn't mean exploring   is crap. Skyrim, GTAV. and RDR2 have lame combat but exploring the world was amazing. it really depends on the combat style you like. of course it my opinion and not fact.

I have put over 1300 hours into BotW and over 100 hours into TotK. I don't need anyone to tell me why the melee combat is weak. And the combat in TotK is different enough that your opinion on BotW doesn't really apply here anymore.

Skyrim's combat is clunky but I enjoyed it.

Kakadu18 said:
zeldaring said:

LOL who cares about the wider market. animal crossing  and pokemon shield are trash games that sell over 30 million is that what you consider quality cause the wider audience buys them. your argument boils down do it has great sales so its not a problem. I enjoy RDR2, GTA6 and BOTW. i'll call like is the combat in those games are bad. now most people don't care about skilled based combat so if thats you. then you  would not care and thats most people

Animal Crossing is trash? Are you kidding right now? You seriously believe that your opinion is undisputed fact and everyone buys Animal Crossing despite it being supposedly trash and absolutely love the trash and enjoy it for 1000 or more hours and it get's a 90 metascore, is nominated for game of the year keeps selling and is widely praised for it's varied and relaxing gameplay.

But it's trash! So nobody's opinion matters but your own. And no one cares about the wider market because only your garbage opinion matters.

just look at the user reviews that bought the game on metracritic. to me the game is trash, its my opinion do i have to say my opinion for you t know that

zeldaring said:
Kakadu18 said:

just look at the user reviews that bought the game on metracritic. to me the game is trash, its my opinion do i have to say my opinion for you t know that

The user reviews mostly complain about  only one island per console.

A ton of extremely popular and beloved games get review bombed on metacritic for no good reason. That doesn't make it trash. Animal Crossing is a long running franchise that was popular throughout the entire time.

Kakadu18 said:
zeldaring said:

I have put over 1300 hours into BotW and over 100 hours into TotK. I don't need anyone to tell me why the melee combat is weak. And the combat in TotK is different enough that your opinion on BotW doesn't really apply here anymore.

Skyrim's combat is clunky but I enjoyed it.

Again this thread has BOTW in it.

this thread has BOTW. so have you played games like elden ring, GOW, darks souls games, ghost of tushami and sikero games which are considered to have great combat?

Kakadu18 said:
zeldaring said:

The user reviews mostly complain about  only one island per console.

A ton of extremely popular and beloved games get review bombed on metacritic for no good reason. That doesn't make it trash. Animal Crossing is a long running franchise that was popular throughout the entire time.

they only get review bombed when they do something really shitty. most nintedo games do not get review bombed. animal crossing and pokemon the only ones