By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - TotK really makes Switch feel dated

Wyrdness said:
SvennoJ said:

The hardware between ps3 and 360 is completely different, what are you talking about? Cell CPU, split ram is not the same as X86 CPU + unified RAM. That's very different hardware. Specs don't mean much on their own, hence tflops is a useless measurement of hardware capabilities on its own.
Architecture = Hardware. It's not software!!!

"To highlight the flaw in what you are saying it is essentially telling someone that if you leave a tap on the bathtub will eventually overflow so you need an overflow pipe installed as well as drainage"
What flaw, that's what I have been saying all along. F4 got optimized and ran better, FS2020 got optimized and didn't need 64GB of RAM anymore to run 8 hour flights. Now it stays within 20GB RAM maxed out. Dunno if Skyrim got optimized but on better hardware, 170 hours on PSVR1, not a single issue. (Apart from them not bothering to fix the door glitch, had to wiggle teleport through the door again)

We already have plenty hardware, all you need is storage to keep track of changes. I've been doing this storing of world changes since 2001 on much weaker hardware. Put your cells into dynamically balancing quad trees and you can store infinite changes as long as you don't run out of disk space. You might lose some draw distance based on how many quads you can load back into active RAM. But this problem has been solved long ago. The small save file limitation, likely a choice, is what makes it not possible in TOTK. 

So show us these so called worlds you've created on those hardware that is comparable to the games now then because you've gone round in circles only to end up admitting that it stops when you run out of disk space basically highlighting my point to begin with, the bathtub analogy to simplify it. The is a reason developers aren't doing as you say no matter what hardware comes out after all you've been using the solution since 2000 yet no one in the industry is using it on these large scale open worlds. 

No s* specs don't mean much on their own that's the whole point architecture is how the hardware is set up to function. Skyrim uses a different engine today implementing fixes modders created. 

I developed TomTom Navigator back in the early 2000s in a small team, mostly responsible for map storage (TeleAtlas map data) and rendering, route planning, instruction generation and gps map matching. After which I moved on to dynamic storage of map changes (and exchange through the cloud, which we just called a server back then) and dynamic obstructions (traffic jams, closures).

Really it's not hard to see persistence in games is very possible large scale, Minecraft has been doing it for decades and wasn't the first. You don't need much data to store changes, at most 22 bytes for X,Y,Z plus orientation and item ID. In case of Ultrahand contraptions it would be X,Y,Z and orientation for the center point of the object then a binary tree storing the attached items with relative coordinates, orientation and item ID. (Which is easily compressed to use up even less data)

If just storing displaced items, at 22 bytes per item, that's already over 47 thousand items per megabyte before compression. Using a quad tree to efficiently store, retrieve and edit these items doesn't add a lot of overhead. It's just an efficient indexing system to find things quickly based on world position.
The challenging part was calculating routes across Europe within the small memory limit of the device while everything else keeps running. Thus wrote my own memory manager and garbage collection routines to cull dead ends from memory and efficiently reuse that memory. A combination of single linked lists and using fixed size memory blocks that could be exchanged between different parts of the program based on demand.

We had the entire road network, every address, street names, built up areas (buildings), rivers and other land use geographical features, point of interest, stored in less than 2Gb with efficient retrieval back in 2005. Zoom-able from entire Europe/NA down to street level.

I must say it was pretty cool to see the good old TeleAtlas (now TomTom owned) map data back in FS2020 as that uses Bing which uses TomTom maps. Ironically I never use gps navigation myself anymore, I'm so tuned to maps I take a few looks at Google maps when I have to go somewhere and just drive there :) I don't even have smart phone, kinda stepped away from technology. Never make your hobby your work kinda thing.

Anyway to me it's clear, TotK 'sacrificed' persistence over interactivity / physical interactions. Some, maybe most people would prefer that. To me it's just more TwitTok moments as I'm more of a builder expecting things to stay after I build them. With better hardware, it could have done both. Hence the Switch feels dated.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Wyrdness said:

So show us these so called worlds you've created on those hardware that is comparable to the games now then because you've gone round in circles only to end up admitting that it stops when you run out of disk space basically highlighting my point to begin with, the bathtub analogy to simplify it. The is a reason developers aren't doing as you say no matter what hardware comes out after all you've been using the solution since 2000 yet no one in the industry is using it on these large scale open worlds. 

No s* specs don't mean much on their own that's the whole point architecture is how the hardware is set up to function. Skyrim uses a different engine today implementing fixes modders created. 

I developed TomTom Navigator back in the early 2000s in a small team, mostly responsible for map storage (TeleAtlas map data) and rendering, route planning, instruction generation and gps map matching. After which I moved on to dynamic storage of map changes (and exchange through the cloud, which we just called a server back then) and dynamic obstructions (traffic jams, closures).

Really it's not hard to see persistence in games is very possible large scale, Minecraft has been doing it for decades and wasn't the first. You don't need much data to store changes, at most 22 bytes for X,Y,Z plus orientation and item ID. In case of Ultrahand contraptions it would be X,Y,Z and orientation for the center point of the object then a binary tree storing the attached items with relative coordinates, orientation and item ID. (Which is easily compressed to use up even less data)

If just storing displaced items, at 22 bytes per item, that's already over 47 thousand items per megabyte before compression. Using a quad tree to efficiently store, retrieve and edit these items doesn't add a lot of overhead. It's just an efficient indexing system to find things quickly based on world position.
The challenging part was calculating routes across Europe within the small memory limit of the device while everything else keeps running. Thus wrote my own memory manager and garbage collection routines to cull dead ends from memory and efficiently reuse that memory. A combination of single linked lists and using fixed size memory blocks that could be exchanged between different parts of the program based on demand.

We had the entire road network, every address, street names, built up areas (buildings), rivers and other land use geographical features, point of interest, stored in less than 2Gb with efficient retrieval back in 2005. Zoom-able from entire Europe/NA down to street level.

I must say it was pretty cool to see the good old TeleAtlas (now TomTom owned) map data back in FS2020 as that uses Bing which uses TomTom maps. Ironically I never use gps navigation myself anymore, I'm so tuned to maps I take a few looks at Google maps when I have to go somewhere and just drive there :) I don't even have smart phone, kinda stepped away from technology. Never make your hobby your work kinda thing.

Anyway to me it's clear, TotK 'sacrificed' persistence over interactivity / physical interactions. Some, maybe most people would prefer that. To me it's just more TwitTok moments as I'm more of a builder expecting things to stay after I build them. With better hardware, it could have done both. Hence the Switch feels dated.

That is not even comparable to what game developers deal with like mate seriously, we're talking huge dynamic worlds that are generating interactions all the way down to physics interacting with tonnes of objects here. 

Wyrdness said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

You're vastly overestimating the amount of data necessary to store the buildups. The information needed to load the buildups is not huge it's actually very tinny

the RAM necessary to concretely load the assets in the enginee in other hand is big, but the workload to load them js just as big as of any construct made by the dev team. The key here is how costly the assets are for the engine to handle. A game like Zelda has assets with little detail and graphical fidelity, so there is a finite number of items necessary to fill whatever is the space the engine loads in your face, i.e. Give PS5 RAM to Switch and it will load everything you put o the game without much trouble

Of course players could overload the map with designs and turn the game an unplayable mess, kinda like an infinite Kakariko Village, but that's players decision. For instance I have filled my Animal Crossing island with so much furniture that it failed to load the assets seamlessly eventually. This is fixed with enough RAM.

So while theoretically it's an unsovable problem, in practice it's not. Indeed I truly believe that even on the tinny Switch TOTK could actually save the constructs you made and leave them as they are. But they avoided because iit because first it mess deeply with saving files structure and probably needed to rework all the code related to how the assets are loaded and handled, I could only imagine the nightmare of reworking the core engine all over again for such small feature 

Could also understand  the a nightmare to test the consequences of this on map and game design, urgh

Here is the problem in what you posted here the debate is not about how big the data build up is at a time when you load up it's about the culmination of everything over time in a playthrough especially in huge dynamic worlds. The build up over time to keep things permanent is always going to hit a limit the is no way around this you've effectively repeated the more ram answer which I've highlighted the flaw with the bathtub analogy a bigger bathtub doesn’t remove the being a limit before the water starts overflowing and in games where people are going to put hundreds of hours into it will happen.

This problem has been solved but at the cost of full permanence ever being possible. 

The error in your theory is that is infinite water too. While theoretically you indeed can start playing a game with the intention of breaking it (I.e. spamming assets to overload the game engine and physics) for a standard player this will never happen. You don't need infinite RAM, you just need enough RAM (and of course a chip and processor that can make use of this RAM) to prevent the game to break its boundaries 

I think maybe you don't get there is absolutely no difference between loading a construction the devs made and loading a construction the players made. Think about Minecraft. The maps are procedurally generated ? So for all intents and purposes, they are built while you are playing and interacting with the world and have a boundaries of a few millions of blocks, I Googled it and it would take 140 days to reach the games boundaries. In a game like Zelda the boundaries os the map, both in area and in height. You only need enough RAM to fill this map with assets. So it's not impossible, let alone impractical 

I disagree with Svenno this is a limitation on Switch, although he can be right. The reason I think it was not done is because the engine was likely not made with this kind of support in mind and reworking the very complex engine only to save the builds would be too troublesome to very few gains. Other possibility is they tried it and saw some routines were starting to get negatively effected by the changed the player could made (imagine building cages towards the placed the minions can spawn)

I think this all discussion is all very pointless tbh, I don't think I agree with either side and I don't think this negatively impact the game to any degree. Sure I would be much more happy building bridges or fixed platforming sections to climb hills faster, but not to a degree of being gaming changing. Maybe if this was a game with tighter level design where you need to solve puzzles in order to traverse the world, in this case I would understand the appeal, but TOTK? Don't think it matters much 

Wyrdness said:

That is not even comparable to what game developers deal with like mate seriously, we're talking huge dynamic worlds that are generating interactions all the way down to physics interacting with tonnes of objects here. 

Sorry, you have no idea. Adding real world interactions goes a big step beyond controlled gaming environments. Dynamic you say? Tracking cell phone movement to predict and track traffic jams all over the world, that's dynamic routing. Continuously monitoring vehicle movement and looking for better routes in the background, depending on timed closures, timed restrictions, progression of traffic jams and other parameters. TomTom has grown to employ over 3,800 people who continue developing gps navigation and mapping changes in the world further. A road network is not a static thing...

Not even comparable, thanks for the laugh.

I'm not saying it's not hugely impressive what TotK has accomplished. All I have been saying all along is that the hardware is holding back things that could have made it even better, like world persistence when making changes / adding things.

IcaroRibeiro said:

The error in your theory is that is infinite water too. While theoretically you indeed can start playing a game with the intention of breaking it (I.e. spamming assets to overload the game engine and physics) for a standard player this will never happen. You don't need infinite RAM, you just need enough RAM (and of course a chip and processor that can make use of this RAM) to prevent the game to break its boundaries 

I think maybe you don't get there is absolutely no difference between loading a construction the devs made and loading a construction the players made. Think about Minecraft. The maps are procedurally generated ? So for all intents and purposes, they are built while you are playing and interacting with the world and have a boundaries of a few millions of blocks, I Googled it and it would take 140 days to reach the games boundaries. In a game like Zelda the boundaries os the map, both in area and in height. You only need enough RAM to fill this map with assets. So it's not impossible, let alone impractical 

I disagree with Svenno this is a limitation on Switch, although he can be right. The reason I think it was not done is because the engine was likely not made with this kind of support in mind and reworking the very complex engine only to save the builds would be too troublesome to very few gains. Other possibility is they tried it and saw some routines were starting to get negatively effected by the changed the player could made (imagine building cages towards the placed the minions can spawn)

I think this all discussion is all very pointless tbh, I don't think I agree with either side and I don't think this negatively impact the game to any degree. Sure I would be much more happy building bridges or fixed platforming sections to climb hills faster, but not to a degree of being gaming changing. Maybe if this was a game with tighter level design where you need to solve puzzles in order to traverse the world, in this case I would understand the appeal, but TOTK? Don't think it matters much 

That's a good point. It does add a lot of extra work for less 'flashy' results. And opens many potentially game breaking possibilities. Hence we also implemented a verification process to user made changes to the road network so a troll couldn't simply add a bunch of one way roads or turn restrictions to block of an entire city from the rest of the world and upload those.

I haven't traversed the world yet, so don't know how useful it could be. But I'm more inclined to get attached to places in games when stuff I do there doesn't reset like nothing ever happened. Interactivity is one big part, yet leaving a mark so to say is another big one. Just like physical beacons / towers you can build in Minecraft to find your way back or survey the land. Build your own sky towers. Which you can, but they will be gone when you wander off.

Around the Network

I don’t believe a lot of what is being discussed regarding persistent worlds and environments would be fixed on a Switch 2. At some point there are absolute limitations to what can be done with a hybrid device and that will always be a fact.

Also a fact is that most Nintendo gamers don’t feel this is a drawback. I don’t feel it is a drawback that what I build doesn’t get saved. It’s not the point of the game and the things I build are just tools to accomplish a specific short term task.

Is there a really cool sandbox future for this game where it does save your builds? Yeah, but it would be a very different, albeit a very fun, game that wouldn’t have such a massive world. TotK: Builder would be a great spinoff. The sky really is the limit with what they have created here and I hope they capitalize on it in unique and surprising ways. I’m definitely hyped for whatever DLC may come.

SvennoJ said:

The laugh comes from thinking it's comparable tbh, for example you are comparing numerous set routes to dynamic interactions. Yes the are many roads that can make up a route and the is some dynamic in the road someone takes in a route but this isn't the same as interactions in the game worlds we are discussing for example your tomtom isn't tracking the physics of every tree and so on while rendering all of Paris and it's people and vehicles it is a different application all together. It's practically apples to oranges. 

IcaroRibeiro said:

The water doesn’t have to be infinite it just has to be enough for example a large water tank isn't infinite but is way bigger than any bathtub, the more complex games become the more you need even more memory and so on this is why in practice it can only be solved with the current solution because the solution on paper would just lead to a never ending chase for more RAM etc...

Kynes said:
zeldaring said:

if you don't care then why are you replying? ahhh you do care.

I am interested in having reasonable conversations with reasonable people, and that the forum maintains a certain cleanliness. What you are doing is muddying the conversations, you sound like a pre teenager who has just discovered the world, and thinks his opinion is the only valid one.

LOL Only a pre teenager would use we don't care about your opinion line. Any adult would know if you are replying then you care.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 28 May 2023

This whole fixation with games being "held back by the hardware" is silly, because hardware could always be stronger. It's an endless treadmill.

Every game ever made is "held back by the hardware." PS5 games are held back by not being saved for the PS6, PS6 games are held back by not being on PS7, every console game is held back by not being developed exclusively for high end PCs, and so on and so forth.

The overwhelming focus on moar powah, of always craving more and prettier pixels, at what point does it become an unhelpful mindset, of letting the finer points of technology dictate our enjoyment of our hobby?