By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - TotK really makes Switch feel dated

zeldaring said:

Was botw your favorite game before this?

It was, followed by souls 3.  Tears is just better than Breath.  As much as I love both at some point I do want a traditional zelda game.

Around the Network

Cool, really darks souls 3? I feel sikero and bloodborne are so much better
Combat wise it felt to slow and it's so hard to parry.

zeldaring said:

Was botw your favorite game before this?

Super Mario Odyssey and God Of War 2018 for me

Good taste lol.
#1 sikero
#2 gow 2018 and bloodborne tied
#3 Last of us

Wyrdness said:

Because it's not hardware that held it back it was architecture, the PS3 reserved half it's memory for its OS and other things, 360 had identical specs and Skyrim ran fine this flat out shows hardware wasn't the issue.

False.
The PS3 had 256MB dedicated to the GPU, 256MB dedicated to system memory.

The PS3's OS/Background tasks took 50MB of that. (120MB at launch, but got slimmed down as time went on.)

Memory was certainly an issue with Skyrim.

haxxiy said:

The PS3 OS takes up the same RAM as the X360 OS, around 20-50 MB in the background.

Xbox 360 is 32MB.

IcaroRibeiro said:

Of course players could overload the map with designs and turn the game an unplayable mess, kinda like an infinite Kakariko Village, but that's players decision. For instance I have filled my Animal Crossing island with so much furniture that it failed to load the assets seamlessly eventually. This is fixed with enough RAM.

Or a large and fast database committed to disk that can be virtually paged on a per-needs basis. - Many games do this and it's becoming more viable with SSD's inside the Switch, Series X and Playstation 5.

Either way, Minecraft is a good example of how many "assets" can be tracked with Limited DRAM. Case in point: 3DS XL... And that is without a disk to page to.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
zeldaring said:

I love souls and blood.  I hated sekiro.  I couldn't get the system to ever click.  Never made it more than 30% in the game.  It is the only from software game I didn't love.  

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

I love souls and blood.  I hated sekiro.  I couldn't get the system to ever click.  Never made it more than 30% in the game.  It is the only from software game I didn't love.  

yea it takes long to click and patience but once it does it feels so good. I also loved the story in that game as well. I had the same experience with bloodborne it was my first souls game and i quit. but kept hearing how great it was and finally pushed through it was well worth it. 

As for the world being entirely seamless, as I already suspected, Nintendo is just good at hiding loading screens
https://www.eurogamer.net/behind-the-scenes-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdoms-ascend-ability

Link is actually transferred into a cube prism, while the environment around him disappears and reloads.

Elsewhere in the video, we see how the game loads when Link travels to the depths and into the sky.

For the former, the environment loads around Link as he falls through a tunnel. Once in The Depths, Boundary Break was able to remove the lighting and effects to reveal the textured ceiling of the environment and see the area in full.

When up in the sky, meanwhile, Hyrule is visible at all times but taken the camera down reveals the land in lower detail.

It's not magic, but Nintendo does hide loading screens better than the average developer :) The load times after dying could be improved though. But I guess the change log can't be undone, so the world has to reload after death with the changelog from the last save game applied on a freshly loaded instance.

This is pretty cool though
https://www.eurogamer.net/simple-airbike-makes-travelling-in-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-a-breeze

Feels a bit like "if you give enough monkeys a typewriter, eventually you get another Shakespeare" but it's testament to the flexibility of the fuse system that people can stumble onto working things like this. Fiddly to put together so I doubt it was intended. Now where does the steering stick come from :)

I'm happy in the depths, haven't gone back up yet. The light roots heal gloom damage and I found some flower that does the same, so no reason to go back up yet. Pootling along with 4 hearts and using Bokoblin arms stuck to spears as weapons lol. Bomb flowers seem to work the best though.

Btw how does the difficulty ramp up? It's a nice balance atm, not too easy, not too hard. But will probably get harder the further I venture out from the initial camera quest area.

SvennoJ said:

As for the world being entirely seamless, as I already suspected, Nintendo is just good at hiding loading screens
https://www.eurogamer.net/behind-the-scenes-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdoms-ascend-ability

Link is actually transferred into a cube prism, while the environment around him disappears and reloads.

Elsewhere in the video, we see how the game loads when Link travels to the depths and into the sky.

For the former, the environment loads around Link as he falls through a tunnel. Once in The Depths, Boundary Break was able to remove the lighting and effects to reveal the textured ceiling of the environment and see the area in full.

When up in the sky, meanwhile, Hyrule is visible at all times but taken the camera down reveals the land in lower detail.

It's not magic, but Nintendo does hide loading screens better than the average developer :) The load times after dying could be improved though. But I guess the change log can't be undone, so the world has to reload after death with the changelog from the last save game applied on a freshly loaded instance.

This is pretty cool though
https://www.eurogamer.net/simple-airbike-makes-travelling-in-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-a-breeze

Feels a bit like "if you give enough monkeys a typewriter, eventually you get another Shakespeare" but it's testament to the flexibility of the fuse system that people can stumble onto working things like this. Fiddly to put together so I doubt it was intended. Now where does the steering stick come from :)

I'm happy in the depths, haven't gone back up yet. The light roots heal gloom damage and I found some flower that does the same, so no reason to go back up yet. Pootling along with 4 hearts and using Bokoblin arms stuck to spears as weapons lol. Bomb flowers seem to work the best though.

Btw how does the difficulty ramp up? It's a nice balance atm, not too easy, not too hard. But will probably get harder the further I venture out from the initial camera quest area.

We don't know yet. In BOTW you get experience points after beating an enemy, but the experience caps at the 10th enemy of a certain specie and color you kill. Special enemies and bosses give you more experience. I'd say you won't be able to get over blue and black minions without beating the temples first 

IcaroRibeiro said:

We don't know yet. In BOTW you get experience points after beating an enemy, but the experience caps at the 10th enemy of a certain specie and color you kill. Special enemies and bosses give you more experience. I'd say you won't be able to get over blue and black minions without beating the temples first 

Ahh. In BotW I kinda messed up the leveling system by going to Kokoriko village after already defeating to temples and exploring 60% of the world. The result was very tough random enemies with trivial camp enemies. Dunno if TotK will scale up everything at the same pace or has the same possible unbalance. The easy enemies still broke my weapons and of course dropped very low level replacements, to then be jumped by high level randoms again (I was chased for many weeks by that cult squad from the mountains lol)

So far in TotK the enemy drops are all better than what I found so far. So worth fighting camps, which have all the zonaite as well. And indeed a spear-spear works great in the depths, don't touch me :)