By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - TotK really makes Switch feel dated

I don’t think TotK makes Switch feel dated, I think Switch being over 6 years old makes it feel dated.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Only thing I've noticed after playing Tears all weekend is it is my favorite game of all time.... followed by Breath and Souls 3.

I've played prettier games than the three title mentioned above... but I haven't played anything better.

Oh and the Switch 2 is going to be underpowered.   Nintendo ain't changing folks.  They aren't in the power game. 

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

Only thing I've noticed after playing Tears all weekend is it is my favorite game of all time.... followed by Breath and Souls 3.

I've played prettier games than the three title mentioned above... but I haven't played anything better.

Oh and the Switch 2 is going to be underpowered.   Nintendo ain't changing folks.  They aren't in the power game. 

A portable machine can only have so much power running off battery, it's not like Nintendo is going to chose some chip that is wildly behind the top tier mobile chips available in 2016. 

From what we know of the Tegra T239 (the chip that's been linked to the Switch 2 through reliable leakers and actual data leaks from Nvidia itself) is that it's a pretty damn good chip. There's not a lot out there that's better (like no one says a Steam Deck is underpowered). 

Switch 2 will be a large improvement over the Switch 1, going from a Wii U+ to something better than something in between a PS4 and XBox Series S is a big leap. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 22 May 2023

Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

A portable machine can only have so much power running off battery, it's not like Nintendo is going to chose some chip that is wildly behind the top tier mobile chips available in 2016. 

From what we know of the Tegra T239 (the chip that's been linked to the Switch 2 through reliable leakers and actual data leaks from Nvidia itself) is that it's a pretty damn good chip. There's not a lot out there that's better (like no one says a Steam Deck is underpowered). 

Switch 2 will be a large improvement over the Switch 1, going from a Wii U+ to something better than something in between a PS4 and XBox Series S is a big leap. 

That would be a massive leap. With diminishing returns nintendo can have finally have games that don't look a generation behind.

So far im on the tutorial level area. I expect it to look better once you get to hyrule. But I don't mind the visuals. I'm playing it on an lg c2 oled. I recomment you turn off game mode, keep it on standard

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

Oh I wholly expect a massive leap with the switch 2.  But I'd wager a sum of money the chip will not be a powerful as many will want it to be.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

Oh I wholly expect a massive leap with the switch 2.  But I'd wager a sum of money the chip will not be a powerful as many will want it to be.

Most nintendo fans re not really bothered by the switch graphics from what i see. so i would not make that wager lol. switch 2 is coming out 11 years after ps4 so it should match ps4 worst case scenario and thats a huge jump.

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

People expect to be as powerful as the last generation (something that Nintendo does since the Wii). Which wouldn't be surprising

Watched my brother play for a couple of hours this weekend. On a big screen the visuals look dated after playing mostly on PS5 the past months. In handheld mode it still looks good. But the amount of landscape that is shown at any given moment is to me impressive. Even with less details the world seems wast in a way few other games can match.

zeldaring said:

Soundwave said:

That would be a massive leap. With diminishing returns nintendo can have finally have games that don't look a generation behind.

It would be a normal-sized leap given their constraints are mostly the TDP, unless they're willing to pack a lot more battery capacity. Mind, the Ampere architecture has doubled FP32 instructions so it can't be directly compared to Maxwell on the Switch or the consoles using AMD GPUs.

The hope is that all games have mandatory DLSS support. Then, in theory, the leap can look truly great.