By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - TotK really makes Switch feel dated

zeldaring said:
Biggerboat1 said:

You mentioned other stuff in your initial post, but if purely talking perceived resolution then fair enough.

My take on this whole topic is that it's a bit strange to point to one of the switch's greatest technical feats as the thing that makes it feel outdated... 

We're all aware of how long in the tooth the system's mobile chipset is, and knew what to expect from playing BotW & seeing previews of TotK, so why is the poster framing this as some revelation?

What was he expecting & why? 

It's very possible he knew what to expect but its effecting him more then he thought it would while playing the game.

There are far better examples of games that illustrate the system's limitations.

This, combined with the fact the OP has failed to convincingly support his PS2 comparison makes it seem more like an attempt at raining on TotK's parade than anything else. 

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Biggerboat1 said:

You mentioned other stuff in your initial post, but if purely talking perceived resolution then fair enough.

My take on this whole topic is that it's a bit strange to point to one of the switch's greatest technical feats as the thing that makes it feel outdated... 

We're all aware of how long in the tooth the system's mobile chipset is, and knew what to expect from playing BotW & seeing previews of TotK, so why is the poster framing this as some revelation?

What was he expecting & why? 

I guess there was the hope that since TotK is a Switch exclusive, it would be better optimized than BotW, which was originally made for the WiiU and delayed to have a port for Switch at its launch.

It's better after the patches. I had constant fps drops before I realized I was still running the original unpatched disc. There are still fps drops with Ultra hand, and resolution drops when turning the camera, but not the constant 20fps when turning and 10fps with Ultra hand (fusing 10 things together) I had with the release version.

Day 1 patches are not uncommon these days and are pretty much considered 'shipped'. No reviewer will be judging the game on the non-patched version. This is consistent across platforms unfortunately.

Why Nintendo couldn't have had that patch included in the game's release code is a bit of a headscratcher as you'd think 6 years would have been sufficient time to sort it out...

With the day 1 patch however, the game has been applauded for it's stability & performance. It's running a tad better than BotW and at the same time is doing a good deal more.

I'd suggest checking out Digital Foundry's review for their take. 

According to Aonuma's Washington Post interview the game was largely completed a year ago, but they held off on releasing it for a year in order to spend that year ensuring it was as stable as possible. That was a very good move, as Nintendo absolutely could not afford a repeat of the recent Pokemon situation.

h2ohno said:

According to Aonuma's Washington Post interview the game was largely completed a year ago, but they held off on releasing it for a year in order to spend that year ensuring it was as stable as possible. That was a very good move, as Nintendo absolutely could not afford a repeat of the recent Pokemon situation.

And they still couldn't have included these 2 patches on the Cartridge? Day one patch came out week before release...

Biggerboat1 said:
zeldaring said:

It's very possible he knew what to expect but its effecting him more then he thought it would while playing the game.

There are far better examples of games that illustrate the system's limitations.

This, combined with the fact the OP has failed to convincingly support his PS2 comparison makes it seem more like an attempt at raining on TotK's parade than anything else. 

the ps2 part is hyperbole. if he said ps3 it would be fair.

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
Chrkeller said:

Oh I wholly expect a massive leap with the switch 2.  But I'd wager a sum of money the chip will not be a powerful as many will want it to be.

People expect to be as powerful as the last generation (something that Nintendo does since the Wii). Which wouldn't be surprising

If DLSS functions well on the unit, it will be a good deal more powerful than a PS4. Plus the Switch 2 will have a considerably better CPU than the PS4/XB1 and much more modern architecture (Nvidia Ampere is way, way better).  

Last edited by Soundwave - on 22 May 2023

zeldaring said:
Biggerboat1 said:

It doesn't read like hyperbole... And if it is, then it's being used to deliberately ruffle feathers. 

Almost everyone wants the performance gains that a new switch will introduce . This thread is just repeating a well worn, widely shared opinion, but for some reason linking it to one of, if not THE most technically accomplished games on the platform.

It's just silly. 

Biggerboat1 said:
zeldaring said:

It doesn't read like hyperbole... And if it is, then it's being used to deliberately ruffle feathers. 

Almost everyone wants the performance gains that a new switch will introduce . This thread is just repeating a well worn, widely shared opinion, but for some reason linking it to one of, if not THE most technically accomplished games on the platform.

It's just silly. 

I don't know man. The graphics and perfomance hardly being improved from a game that was made for wii u 6 years ago is kinda of sad. it's not Nintendo like to be honest. doesn't really matter a year from now we will get switch 2 and  will no longer have worry about games looking like crap anymore for nintendo. imagine a zelda with red dead 2 type graphics, heck even in this style at 1440p/60fps would make a massive difference.

zeldaring said:
Biggerboat1 said:

It's just silly. 

I don't know man. The graphics and perfomance hardly being improved from a game that was made for wii u 6 years ago is kinda of sad. it's not Nintendo like to be honest. doesn't really matter a year from now we will get switch 2 and  will no longer have worry about games looking like crap anymore for nintendo. imagine a zelda with red dead 2 type graphics, heck even in this style at 1440p/60fps would make a massive difference.

Maybe they just tapped most of the available power first time around...

My understanding is that there's a lot more going on in TotK, so asking the devs not only to deliver & render a more demanding/complex world, but also to do it at higher fidelity is prob asking too much. 

Digital Foundry (who I'd wager knows a great deal more than either of us) are impressed at what's been accomplished with TotK. You can only optimise so far...

zeldaring said:

Not only did he say PS2, but when referencing the PS3/360 generation he specifically went out of his way to say "indie". Which, anyone who played games that generation knows that indie games (with the definition we use for indie today) looked nothing like this back then.

Both of those facts together shows that the OP was being purposefully hyperbolic. I'm not sure the reason for this (to bring more responses, to be more negative towards the game, bias, etc).  But it's glaringly obvious and I really think that everyone should stop feeding that part of the discussion at this point.

To everyone: OP knows what he did, he was called out dozens of comments ago. At this point I think we should all just shift to the real conversation which is does playing TotK on Switch feel dated?