By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Zelda TotK has Nintendo's biggest ever launch week sales in France at retail (500k physical only)

Environ 500 000 ventes physiques pour Zelda TOTK en France pour sa première semaine. C'est un démarrage nettement supérieur à celui du dernier Pokémon. C'est plus que le lancement de Red Dead Redemption II ou des derniers FIFA.

Legend of Zelda TOTK had an insane launch in France and sets a Nintendo record by beating Pokemon Sun/Moon's 425k retail launch in 2016. Also launched higher than Red Dead Redemption 2.

Compared to Breath of the Wild:

GFK - Week 09, 2017 (Feb 27 - Mar 05) - Individual Formats (Units) [Retail]

[NSW] THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD [COLECTOR INCLUED] (NINTENDO) - 96.000 / NEW

[WIU] THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD (NINTENDO) - 34.000 / NEW

Compared to the Previous Biggest Nintendo Launch:

GFK - Week 47, 2016 (Nov 21 - Nov 27) - All Formats (Units) [Retail]

01 (NE) POKEMON SUN / MOON (NINTENDO) - 425.000 / NEW
Compared to Switch's biggest launch:

Week 46, 2022 - Individual Formats (Units) [Retail]

01 (NE) [NSW] POKEMON SCARLET / VIOLET (NINTENDO) - 360.000 / NEW

Already closing in on BOTW lifetime physical sales at the end of 2017 (10 months)

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 511.191
Last reported BOTW sales in France were 1.25M physical-only as of the end of 2021. It didn't chart in the 2022 rankings
Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 15 May 2023

Around the Network

Yeeeaahh, if it can manage to do 500K sold physical only in a place like France. I'm gonna suggest that TOTK is mostly prolly over 10M sold already as we speak

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Epic sales.
Nintendo PR release should be over 10mm.
Will depend on what Japan can do.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

I figured it would do around 10m or very close to it launch weekend. With a monster 500k physical copies in France alone...certainly sounds like launch weekend was possibly over 10m globally.

With these sorts of numbers you gotta figure it did several million in Europe launch weekend, more than that in the US, and I figure probably a million in Japan or maybe more, plus whatever it sold in all the other countries/regions. At this point I'd be surprised if it sold less than 10m launch weekend.

That's what 120m console owners hungry for games can do for ya. Huge launches worldwide.

Around the Network

It seems like outside of Japan the launch will be bigger than Pokemon Scarlet/Violet.

It seems like outside of Japan the launch will be bigger than Pokemon Scarlet/Violet.

I'm surprised we haven't had a sales statement from Nintendo yet. It should come very soon I guess.

Signature goes here!

Farsala said:

That's what 120m console owners hungry for games can do for ya. Huge launches worldwide.

Oh yeah without a doubt. Outside of Japan the sequel to the legendary game BotW was a much bigger deal than just the next Pokemon mainline game.

France is a massive market for games when you consider all nations in the world that have a video game market (probably about 100+, I would think), but it's still behind.
1. China 2. USA 3. Japan 4. South Korea 5. Germany 6. UK
If Tears of the Kingdom was this massive in France, the global launch week will easily be in the millions. I don't think 10 million is likely, but it's more than a tiny chance.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima