By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Zelda TotK has Nintendo's biggest ever launch week sales in France at retail (500k physical only)

Wman1996 said:

France is a massive market for games when you consider all nations in the world that have a video game market (probably about 100+, I would think), but it's still behind.
1. China 2. USA 3. Japan 4. South Korea 5. Germany 6. UK
If Tears of the Kingdom was this massive in France, the global launch week will easily be in the millions. I don't think 10 million is likely, but it's more than a tiny chance.

Overall the UK and Germany are slightly bigger gaming markets than France but for Nintendo and Zelda the french market is the biggest for them in Europe. From the sales data Zelda sold 500k physical in france versus 208k physical for the Uk and the installBase for the Switch is around 6.2 million for the Uk and 7 million  for France. So the Zelda franchise is disproportionately more popular in France for some reason.

Around the Network
ShadowLink93 said:
Wman1996 said:

France is a massive market for games when you consider all nations in the world that have a video game market (probably about 100+, I would think), but it's still behind.
1. China 2. USA 3. Japan 4. South Korea 5. Germany 6. UK
If Tears of the Kingdom was this massive in France, the global launch week will easily be in the millions. I don't think 10 million is likely, but it's more than a tiny chance.

Overall the UK and Germany are slightly bigger gaming markets than France but for Nintendo and Zelda the french market is the biggest for them in Europe. From the sales data Zelda sold 500k physical in france versus 208k physical for the Uk and the installBase for the Switch is around 6.2 million for the Uk and 7 million  for France. So the Zelda franchise is disproportionately more popular in France for some reason.

I used to think French people were pompous and rude. Turns out they just have really good taste. 

I like it when my mom goes out of town because I get to sleep on her side of the bed. -William Montgomery

SuperJortendo said:
ShadowLink93 said:

I used to think French people were pompous and rude. Turns out they just have really good taste. 

You could say it is the true bastion where Nintendo shines but that's also partially due to the fact that some Japanese cultural stuff was more widely accepted during the 80's-90's which meant they were a prime market for Nintendo when they released the NES back then. Generations of nurture lead to this in the end

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

TruckOSaurus said:

I'm surprised we haven't had a sales statement from Nintendo yet. It should come very soon I guess.

I was right :

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 17 May 2023

Signature goes here!

Nice and well deserved as much as I got from the videos I saw.

Around the Network

Of course this is only anecdotal evidence but Imma gonna guess the game has already sold most of it's first shipment drop in physical sales so far. It doesn't happen often that my local Walmart has no copies left for any game but this one has fled faster than even Pokémon did !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

2.24 million copies were sold in three days.Wow.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/2023/230517.html

So it has outsold every pre-BOTW Zelda in 3 days, holy guacamole.

A huge launch was always to be expected, because Breath of the Wild's sales were massive. Going forward, I don't see much of a reason why Tears of the Kingdom's legs should be in danger. The reused overworld is offset by enough new mechanics, enemies and locations as well as completely new shrines, so it's feasible that the 20m mark (global sales) can be crossed by the end of 2023.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Last edited by Bandorr - on 02 June 2023