By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - (Business Perspective) Does MS really need Xbox Hardware?

Tagged games:

DonFerrari said:

I do agree that as long as you have a healthy business not being the leader isn't that problematic. And in Apple case they are market leader in profit even if not in units sold that is still a 1st place.

Exactly my point. They are a leader in profits, even if they don't sell the most units.

Which is the *exact* business model Microsoft is trying to adopt with Xbox. - Volume sales can come later and capitalise on that.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
Azzanation said:

Sony have the marketing rights to CoD.

Marketing rights don't prevent MS from making money off CoD.  It just sways a chunk of the sales towards Sony. Probably not even as significantly as some people think, because PS owners are going to tend to buy CoD on their system in the first place.  

Azzanation said:

360 Lost MS $4b at the end of its life. Only reason they stayed in the industry was because of the subs. Something they don't need to rely on Hardware for anymore.

I would need to see a citation for that number, and what the scope was for that number. They lost a large amount on hardware, they made money off licensing and subs, and their own game publishing. I would need to know what factors that number included.

I doubt their subs would be as sustainable without Xbox hardware.

Sony have the marketing rights, which pushes a huge amount of CoD sales on their platform. Sales = Profits. Sony is making Billions on CoD alone, Xbox isn't. Sony have the Console CoD audience.

360 lost $4billion on hardware, the subs is what kept MS from leaving the market, the exact point of my thread. MS want subs not hardware responsibilities. 

Pemalite said:

You do need competition.

The thing about Valve and Steam though is that they are a privately held company.

That means they don't have to appease shareholders and drive profits at any expense.
Gabe Newell can spend money and not turn a profit on a side project and not be held accountable on failing to get a return on an investment or idea.

That definitely means that Valve can maneuver itself in the marketplace a little differently than other business ventures, but it also means they are limited in how much money they can raise to enter new markets.

We also need to remember that Steam has competition... Origin, uPlay, EpicStore, Battle.net Launcher, Windows Store and more are all competing for a piece of the same pie, which has consistently pushed Steam to remain the defacto store, even when developers/publishers tried to omit them.

Even before these other stores popped into existence, Steam was competing with consoles.

As for Microsoft and controllers... Microsoft is trying to exit the peripherals market to a degree, they have wound down their Microsoft keyboards/mice/controllers and are rebranding their premium variants to "Surface" devices.
...Probably wont get an update to sidewinder force it seems.

Their controllers will go in the same direction if they exit the console business.

Disagree. 

For starters, weather UPlay, Originas, EpicGS, Battle.Net, Windows Store and ill add another GoG didn't exist, it wont change anything to how Steam is still ran today. If anything, competition has created more issues with the PC market place, like when EGS entered the market, creating more headaches for users and poaching games off Steam which frustrated players. Steam doesn't need competition.

DonFerrari said:

I don't need Xbox personally, but you are wrong on X1 or Series burning money from MS. They may not have high profits (MS doesn't show the numbers), but the HW itself hardly is losing more than 1 or 2 games worth of profit, so considering the 10+ average it console sells and the subscriptions the HW itself is advantageous to MS.
Regarding needing MS to keep Sony in check I don't believe in it, PS2 dominated the market with easyness and still had price, quantity and quality while PS4 had a much stronger competitor in X1 and didn't cut prices besides once and in PS5 situation is similar regarding sales and besides the price increases due to inflation/exchange ratio there is no interest from either MS or Sony to cut prices at the moment.

Xbox hardware costs billions to RnD and create. It also means they need customer service stations, manufacture materials, deals and the middle man to sell them. XB1 made money for Xbox but it was due to subscriptions and Software sales. Xbox doesn't sell enough hardware to stay relevant.

You dont need Xbox to exist since you don't invest in it. So hopefully for you, soon Xbox will pull out of the hardware business and you will just have PS for your needs.

The thing is, It would still cost billions for MS to create Xbox hardware because in order to keep their cloud platform going, they need to always invest in new hardware to supply their servers. This is a key point I believe you are missing Azz. MS needs those servers running their hardware in order to get support from developers building games for that hardware. MS is never leaving the hardware console business because their infrastructure is dependent on that hardware.

Pemalite said:

They are a leader in profits, even if they don't sell the most units.

Which is the *exact* business model Microsoft is trying to adopt with Xbox. - Volume sales can come later and capitalise on that.

Are you seriously trying to say that XBox is "a leader in profits"?

A few months ago, MS admitted losing $100-$150 per console sold. Shortly thereafter they reduced the price of the consoles by $50...

How much does XBox pay the MS Server division for using Azure? For maintaining/expanding server hardware?

"Volume sales can come later and capitalise on that". Yeah, we know that excuse:

Phil Spencer in 2016: "Yeah this year wasn't really good, software wise. But next year, you will see..."

Phil Spencer in 2017: "Yeah this year wasn't really good, software wise. But next year, you will see..."

Phil Spencer in 2018: "Yeah this year wasn't really good, software wise. But next year, you will see..."

Rinse and repeat and we are now in 2023. Still the same guy with the same announcement.

XBox was and still essentially is a vanity project initiated by Balmer/Gates. For any "normal" company, it should have been killed 1-2 decades ago as it has been writing red numbers day one ever since its inception.

I think Netflix is probably the more apt analogy for how MS sees the XBox division ... Netflix lost money for 10+ years but in doing so became the streaming leader.

MS has more than enough money, I mean just think for a second AFTER buying Bethesda, they still have like 70 billion (which is probably more than what the Playstation division is worth and more than Nintendo's market cap) to casually try and buy Activision too. This is like knowing someone that just carries around $10,000 in their wallet.

Microsoft is not your typical company. 

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

I don't need Xbox personally, but you are wrong on X1 or Series burning money from MS. They may not have high profits (MS doesn't show the numbers), but the HW itself hardly is losing more than 1 or 2 games worth of profit, so considering the 10+ average it console sells and the subscriptions the HW itself is advantageous to MS.

Daniel Ahmad suggested the mere profits they were making on games and services were probably overshadowed by the loss they make on hardware, during the Epic vs Apple trial.

Soundwave said:
Pemalite said:

You do need competition.

The thing about Valve and Steam though is that they are a privately held company.

That means they don't have to appease shareholders and drive profits at any expense.
Gabe Newell can spend money and not turn a profit on a side project and not be held accountable on failing to get a return on an investment or idea.

That definitely means that Valve can maneuver itself in the marketplace a little differently than other business ventures, but it also means they are limited in how much money they can raise to enter new markets.

We also need to remember that Steam has competition... Origin, uPlay, EpicStore, Battle.net Launcher, Windows Store and more are all competing for a piece of the same pie, which has consistently pushed Steam to remain the defacto store, even when developers/publishers tried to omit them.

Even before these other stores popped into existence, Steam was competing with consoles.

As for Microsoft and controllers... Microsoft is trying to exit the peripherals market to a degree, they have wound down their Microsoft keyboards/mice/controllers and are rebranding their premium variants to "Surface" devices.

Their controllers will go in the same direction if they exit the console business.

DonFerrari said:

I do dispute the "MS doesn't care they are third" I can bet they would like and plan to be first, but yes that is beside the point as really if it profits enough it is acceptable at the moment for leadership while they plan on how to take first place.

Every company wants a monopoly.

...But when that is impossible, then as long as they are making a profit, then shareholders (Who these companies answer to) are happy to keep supporting the idea.

When you are managing a company you do need to spin things around from a "marketshare" perspective to a revenue/profit one.

It's why Apple is so successful, they have far far far less marketshare than Android or even Samsung, but they make the most profit.

Being first place isn't always how you win the game.

The iPhone actually is the market leader in the US market, Apple doesn't care to heavily discount as much to get developing markets that require lower pricing, though even for that they've made some aggressive new model options on the bottom end of their product line at a cheaper price. 

Even in Brazil where or our wage iPhone is quite expensive (between 4 to 10 minimum wage depending on the model) it certainly isn't the number 1 in volume, but most likely is the one in profit and for sure the most desired smartphone for a majority of population.

Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

I do agree that as long as you have a healthy business not being the leader isn't that problematic. And in Apple case they are market leader in profit even if not in units sold that is still a 1st place.

Exactly my point. They are a leader in profits, even if they don't sell the most units.

Ok, so we were just thinking from different points.

Azzanation said:
the-pi-guy said:

Marketing rights don't prevent MS from making money off CoD.  It just sways a chunk of the sales towards Sony. Probably not even as significantly as some people think, because PS owners are going to tend to buy CoD on their system in the first place.  

Azzanation said:

360 Lost MS $4b at the end of its life. Only reason they stayed in the industry was because of the subs. Something they don't need to rely on Hardware for anymore.

I would need to see a citation for that number, and what the scope was for that number. They lost a large amount on hardware, they made money off licensing and subs, and their own game publishing. I would need to know what factors that number included.

I doubt their subs would be as sustainable without Xbox hardware.

Sony have the marketing rights, which pushes a huge amount of CoD sales on their platform. Sales = Profits. Sony is making Billions on CoD alone, Xbox isn't. Sony have the Console CoD audience.

360 lost $4billion on hardware, the subs is what kept MS from leaving the market, the exact point of my thread. MS want subs not hardware responsibilities. 

Pemalite said:

You do need competition.

Disagree. 

For starters, weather UPlay, Originas, EpicGS, Battle.Net, Windows Store and ill add another GoG didn't exist, it wont change anything to how Steam is still ran today. If anything, competition has created more issues with the PC market place, like when EGS entered the market, creating more headaches for users and poaching games off Steam which frustrated players. Steam doesn't need competition.

DonFerrari said:

Regarding needing MS to keep Sony in check I don't believe in it, PS2 dominated the market with easyness and still had price, quantity and quality while PS4 had a much stronger competitor in X1 and didn't cut prices besides once and in PS5 situation is similar regarding sales and besides the price increases due to inflation/exchange ratio there is no interest from either MS or Sony to cut prices at the moment.

Xbox hardware costs billions to RnD and create. It also means they need customer service stations, manufacture materials, deals and the middle man to sell them. XB1 made money for Xbox but it was due to subscriptions and Software sales. Xbox doesn't sell enough hardware to stay relevant.

You dont need Xbox to exist since you don't invest in it. So hopefully for you, soon Xbox will pull out of the hardware business and you will just have PS for your needs.

Sure R&D is costly and the HW is sold at loss, but right now (which can change if GP goes to major numbers like 100M+ subs) I think they would lose more when losing the royalties than save on the cost of R&D and subside for the HW.

Soundwave said:

I think Netflix is probably the more apt analogy for how MS sees the XBox division ... Netflix lost money for 10+ years but in doing so became the streaming leader.

MS has more than enough money, I mean just think for a second AFTER buying Bethesda, they still have like 70 billion (which is probably more than what the Playstation division is worth and more than Nintendo's market cap) to casually try and buy Activision too. This is like knowing someone that just carries around $10,000 in their wallet.

Microsoft is not your typical company. 

The thing is Amazon and Netflix business model was to not give profit, reinvest and increase the price of the share and make shareholders happy. It worked for over 10 years, but now they are pressuring to show profit.

SKMBlake said:
DonFerrari said:

Daniel Ahmad suggested the mere profits they were making on games and services were probably overshadowed by the loss they make on hardware, during the Epic vs Apple trial.

Thank you for the clarity. Seems like Series is more expensive for MS to produce than PS5 is for Sony. 100 to 200 loss per console with the GP model selling less SW may have a totally different balance point than what Sony sees.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

drkohler said:
Pemalite said:

They are a leader in profits, even if they don't sell the most units.

Are you seriously trying to say that XBox is "a leader in profits"?

A few months ago, MS admitted losing $100-$150 per console sold. Shortly thereafter they reduced the price of the consoles by $50...

How much does XBox pay the MS Server division for using Azure? For maintaining/expanding server hardware?

"Volume sales can come later and capitalise on that". Yeah, we know that excuse:

Phil Spencer in 2016: "Yeah this year wasn't really good, software wise. But next year, you will see..."

Phil Spencer in 2017: "Yeah this year wasn't really good, software wise. But next year, you will see..."

Phil Spencer in 2018: "Yeah this year wasn't really good, software wise. But next year, you will see..."

Rinse and repeat and we are now in 2023. Still the same guy with the same announcement.

XBox was and still essentially is a vanity project initiated by Balmer/Gates. For any "normal" company, it should have been killed 1-2 decades ago as it has been writing red numbers day one ever since its inception.

I believe you totally miss his point.  He stated that Apple is the leader in profits and that selling the most devices is not always the key to success.  Also I doubt that MS pays the server infrastructure team anything beyond what their own duties are for maintaining the servers.  

Also volume sales is not the measure of success, it depends on the infrastructure of the company.  MS is a software subscription company and their strengths is in the volume of servers their have around the world supporting not only their software but other companies like Apple and Sony.

You are right in one area, that the Xbox was a vanity project until Phil took over and MS as a company decided to get serious about gaming with GP.  A vanity project doesn't spend 70 Billion dollars for a pet project.  If that doesn't tell you anything then maybe you are looking at the wrong things.

I want you to think about where Xbox was going before Phil took over.  Think about the Xbox one, Kinect, lower spec console with a design not built to lead in the area it needs to be the strongest which is games.  What happen after that, Phil nix all that stuff, MS started to invest more into games developers, purchasing studios, expanding teams when before they were getting rid of them.  Focused the busines unit back on building a console for gamers.  Yes, maybe Phil isn't moving fast enough for you but that is because you probably have way to much expectations in how fast MS can move.  The Xbox one set MS back a whole generation and even with a lot of money you can only start with where you are at and build from there.  Has MS stumbled, of course, they have but its a much better situation under Phil leadership than where it was going.

SKMBlake said:
DonFerrari said:

I really doubt 2019 hardware loss was anything significant surely not enough to overshadow a $2.2B profits.

Going by VGChartz estimate Xbox sold 5.26m Xbox that year so this would mean an average of 418$ loss/console, that can't be right.

more than likely the vast majority of hardware loss occurred in the first 3-4 years of Xone's lifecycle and would average $100-150/system which doesn't get offset at the end of the gen since they never aim for a high-profit margin. 2019 I would think loss on hardware should be pretty marginal probably anywhere between a few $100m loss to a few $100m profits.

Unless you add RnD for the current gen but even then I highly doubt this would amount to anything able to overshadow a $2.2B profits.

DonFerrari said:
Machiavellian said:

Ryuu makes a good point about Xcloud that I believe we all forget. Its run on Xbox series X hardware. This means that MS will continue to need to make Xbox hardware which give developers a platform to support in order for their cloud solution to be viable in the market.

I guess if MS decides to leave the console market they could very well work the servers to use different HW even more with almost all titles available on PC, but yes at this moment it would be unnecessary extra cost, but for a next gen it could make sense (not that I think they won't release a new console or that it wouldn't make sense to use it for cloud).

Machiavellian said:

Think about the PS3 and the message Sony put out during that time.  You would work 3 jobs to get this device.  You are mistaken if you believe that if Sony totally dominated the market that they would make the same decisions in the absence of MS.  I doubt we would have seen PS services anywhere near what they are today compared to MS pushing internet and Games with GOLD.  There are a lot of things Sony has done in response to MS compared to what they traditionally do. Even the PS4 is a direct result of how well the XBox 360 performed because building an extremely complex hardware device that makes it difficult for most developers to extract all the power out of the machine was never a good business decision.

So yes, the PS4 and PS5 are direct results of Sony pushing the advantages they have to make sure to keep ahead of MS and while you personally as a PS gamer believe MS has no impact on Sony direction, history show different.

I know that time very well and that phrase was both poorly done and severely misrepresented. The way it was told was "This console is so great that you would be willing to work a second job to buy it", but yes I can certainly see that Sony had arrogant thought thinking at the time that allowed them to not do the right processing and direction. Still PS3 was sold at 200 dollar loss (while PS4 was 50 from release and PS5 50-100) so it was more like they were so confident they would be selling great that they burned a lot of money instead of they priced as high as possible, because even if PS didn't had a direct competitor (it did, but considering how much marketshare they had) they know that if they fuck to much a substitute product can come (just like they came when Nintendo and Sega fucked up).

I'm not saying they would make the same decisions without direct competition (MS or otherwise), I just said that the price of the console and games wouldn't go 1k USD and games 100 USD if MS stopped launching consoles.

I have no doubt that XBL really put pressure on PSN improving (even if I don't care about MP I totally credit MS for both the good things that Gold brought as well as the bad ones such as paid online, that nowadays is likely impossible to disappear). I can't be sure if PS4 architecture is a response to X360 being a lot simpler or they seeing that the type of architecture of PS3 was dead, but sure I'm willing to credit this decision from competition pressure.

And just to close I don't think MS have no direct, it certainly does, I do think that without MS moneyhatting a lot of games during X360 and even for titles they didn't the fact they gone multiplatform because X360 was a viable platform pressured Sony to rely a lot less in 3rd parties than in the past (and possible expend more on securing key marketing/temporary exclusivity deals) and power up their 1st party. That is why I said I don't need Xbox, because I'm not interested in its first parties or even the route of more GAAS (that Sony is also taking and I don't like), not that the market itself doesn't need Xbox or a strong competitor to PS.

It doesn't work that way, MS already put in the investment in their server farms for the Xbox hardware, that means if they drop that hardware and do not have 100% backward compatibility it would be a problem for the service since you are supposed to be able to play backwards and forwards as MS stated.  SO yes, MS will continue to invest in Xbox hardware for their server farms and if they are already investing in that hardware they will continue to release that hardware to retail because it keeps customers within their eco system, MS still make a cut on every game sold on Xbox hardware, they still get their cut from MS store and games sold on the Console and they continue to tie customers to their services.

I do not know what company you were watching but both Sony and MS money hat during the 360 days, it's    the standard business model in the games industry.  Sony did not rely less on 3rd party games, they have always been able to get 3rd party exclusive games especially from Japan because one, they have always been the market leader and 2 it was tough and still is tough to get any exclusive games from Japan over Sony.  What allowed the 360 to gain on Sony especially in the US more than any other country is how hard it was to develop for the system.  The 360 in the first 2 years was outperforming the PS3 in most multplat games and it allowed the 360 to gain significant market share.  If not for the RROD, MS success would have been much bigger but those stubbles allowed Sony to maintain and keep their market share lead.

It's not a question if you need MS first party games, it's the fact you need MS in the market to make sure Sony is always aware and fighting to keep MS in third place.  In the absence of MS, Sony would be a much different company and if you thought the PS3 was expensive, I bet you the PS4 would have been a grand if MS was not in the market.  There is a distinct difference between the you wanting any of MS games than MS keeping Sony innovating and competing like a startup.  That benefits you as a gamer on their platform.  Even now, I just purchased PS+ because Sony is selling it for 36 bucks for the whole year