By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Report- Sony developing a new handheld console codenamed Q Lite

Sounds like it'll be a flop more than anything.

Around the Network

I've been hoping they would make something like this. They should call it the PS Stream Controller and market it as a PS5 accessory.

That being said, if it doesn't offer cloud streaming through PS Plus Extra/Premium on its own independent of PS5 Remote Play then the whole thing seems rather pointless.

Also it shouldn't be as big as the original Switch. I think the Vita is a more elegant/affordable size to aim for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

This is a terrible idea for a product. Especially considering how bad remote play is.

The price will definitely be high and the product is redundant. Considering that we have options such as the Steam Deck, Switch and others who on earth would buy this?

Sony losing the plot if this rumour is true.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
Zippy6 said:

1080p and 8". Will probably be pretty expensive for something that can only be used for remote play. Would be silly if it didn't support cloud streaming so I'm sure it will but native PS1/PSP/PS2 etc would be a good bonus to make it more worth it.

The only thing I can think of is that Sony's cloud backend doesn't use PS5 hardware, and when they do then the device would be compatible for cloud gaming.

Wman1996 said:

If this is real, it's disappointing.
How cool would it be to play PS4 games offline without Remote Play and use Remote Play for PS5?

Would be cool. But at this point, what market would a device like that even serve?

Signalstar said:

I've been hoping they would make something like this. They should call it the PS Stream Controller and market it as a PS5 accessory.

That being said, if it doesn't offer cloud streaming through PS Plus Extra/Premium on its own independent of PS5 Remote Play then the whole thing seems rather pointless.

Also it shouldn't be as big as the original Switch. I think the Vita is a more elegant/affordable size to aim for.

Yeah cloud gaming needs to be on the cards. It's also possible that this doubles as a PS5 controller in a more integrated way than even the Vita. That could help give it an additional use case.

Shinobi-san said:

This is a terrible idea for a product. Especially considering how bad remote play is.

The price will definitely be high and the product is redundant. Considering that we have options such as the Steam Deck, Switch and others who on earth would buy this?

I just remote played virtually my entire playthrough and platinum for Fallen Order. Besides the odd snag here and there it was perfectly serviceable. The PS5 has better remote play capabilities so that alone would make it better.

And the product is clearly for your PS library on the go or away from your PS5. Neither the Steam Deck nor Switch offer that functionality. 

shikamaru317 said:
  • 8 inch 1080p LCD touchscreen display (1 inch bigger than Switch OLED, and 1.8 inches bigger than launch Switch, while also being 1080p, double the 720p of Switch)

1080P is more than double the pixels of a 720P resolution.
It's a 2.25x increase from 720P to 1080P.

shikamaru317 said:

Tom Henderson, who has proved to be a fairly reliable source in the past, is reporting that Sony is working on their next handheld. The codename for the project is Q Lite. Here are the features:

• Remote play streams games from PS5 with an adaptive quality rate up to 1080p, 60 fps, depending on internet speed, over home wi-fi and possibly 5G for out of house play
  • Report reads like it may not play games natively like PSP and Vita, but offer only the remote play from PS5 over wi-fi and presumably 5G for out-of-house play

So basically how you can stream Xbox games to your mobile phone for years now, you just can't use whatever device/controller you want.

It's great in theory, but I would love to see local play due to latency.

Zippy6 said:

1080p and 8". Will probably be pretty expensive for something that can only be used for remote play. Would be silly if it didn't support cloud streaming so I'm sure it will but native PS1/PSP/PS2 etc would be a good bonus to make it more worth it.

1080P LCD panels are cheap as chips these days and are sometimes found in sub $100 USD tablets and phones.

Keep in mind if it's streaming-only, they can go with the absolute cheapest/worst CPU/SoC/Ram/Storage and not have any issues.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

twintail said:
Zippy6 said:

The only thing I can think of is that Sony's cloud backend doesn't use PS5 hardware, and when they do then the device would be compatible for cloud gaming.

Wman1996 said:

If this is real, it's disappointing.
How cool would it be to play PS4 games offline without Remote Play and use Remote Play for PS5?

Would be cool. But at this point, what market would a device like that even serve?

Signalstar said:

Yeah cloud gaming needs to be on the cards. It's also possible that this doubles as a PS5 controller in a more integrated way than even the Vita. That could help give it an additional use case.

Shinobi-san said:

I just remote played virtually my entire playthrough and platinum for Fallen Order. Besides the odd snag here and there it was perfectly serviceable. The PS5 has better remote play capabilities so that alone would make it better.

And the product is clearly for your PS library on the go or away from your PS5. Neither the Steam Deck nor Switch offer that functionality. 

Ps4/5 remote play has been working on Steam Deck for ages now.

zero129 said:

Ps4/5 remote play has been working on Steam Deck for ages now.

You're right.

Sorry, I'm mixing up my thoughts on remote play and cloud gaming with this device. I meant that if I can stream content I own with the device that would make it unique. But I realise the original comment was about most likely about remote play so it's a mute point on my part.

It'd say it's a new-WiiU gamepad-like-PS5 controller, rather than new handheld console.