By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Report- Sony developing a new handheld console codenamed Q Lite

twintail said:
Kyuu said:

Well if this really is what they're making, then they needn't "wonder", the competition will be laughing their asses off. There has got to be a little more to this thing.

Digital Foundry talked about it yesterday. John's opinion is similar to mine: he thinks a weaker handheld PS5 in the vein of SteamDeck is probably doable and would be cool.

I don't think a Steamdeck variant of the PS5 makes much sense since none of the games will be optimised for weaker hardware.

That said, I've read some interesting thoughts that this device is most likely just an alternate controller (Dualsense, DS Edge, and then this) with a screen. 

Like, if this is going to be pushed by Sony as a controller accessory, then a lot of the talk around the limited info we have on this device is somewhat irrelevant since this isn't a handheld but a controller.

"Wonders what the competition will think of it" implies something much bigger or more interesting than that. If it doesn't run PS5  games (or at least PS4 games) natively in lower settings, then I can't see how it will draw the attention of the competition.

It may be something none of us guessed correctly.

Around the Network

Heard talk about $200 price point. imho, DOA at this price, needs to be at the very least $150.

curl-6 said:

Sony already collaborated with Backbone on a PS Remote Player controller for phones last year:

https://playbackbone.com/au/playstation/

This costs $99 USD for just the controller bits, since the screen and internals are provided by the phone.

The problem with phone controllers for streaming is the screens are just too small. When you're streaming a 16:9 game you end up with around a 5.5" image with big black bars, and that's on the larger phones. It's small for modern console gaming and not a great experience as these games weren't designed to run on a display that small. I did complete Borderlands 2 and a bit of AC Origins this way streaming it to my phone but yeah it's not something I'd really recommend. A dedicated device will be far superior in both build quality and display. Plus you can still use your phone while gaming to respond to messages/calls or browsing the internet for something.

So phone controllers are something I have used for streaming but it's quite a compromised experience you have to accept to use hardware you already own. They're more useful for emulators and some native android games.

Kyuu said:

Well if this really is what they're making, then they needn't "wonder", the competition will be laughing their asses off. There has got to be a little more to this thing.

Digital Foundry talked about it yesterday. John's opinion is similar to mine: he thinks a weaker handheld PS5 in the vein of SteamDeck is probably doable and would be cool.

That would require all PS5 games to be revisted and ported over. The performance of steal deck should give people an indication that there is not a massive market for Sony to invest in a fully stand alone portable system. 

This will be a low investment portable (periphery) option for gaming at home with no software requirement from Devs and just targeting people who want to take their gaming off TV, as many people do with the Switch. Most portable console gaming happens at home, not out and about.

Remember that Sony sells the dual sense edge for $200. I imagine this will not be as high profit margin wise, but they will likely not be trying to push this as a mass market device, Instead make it a premium accessory for the most enthusiastic gamers.

Around the Network
Kyuu said:
twintail said:

I don't think a Steamdeck variant of the PS5 makes much sense since none of the games will be optimised for weaker hardware.

That said, I've read some interesting thoughts that this device is most likely just an alternate controller (Dualsense, DS Edge, and then this) with a screen. 

Like, if this is going to be pushed by Sony as a controller accessory, then a lot of the talk around the limited info we have on this device is somewhat irrelevant since this isn't a handheld but a controller.

"Wonders what the competition will think of it" implies something much bigger or more interesting than that. If it doesn't run PS5  games (or at least PS4 games) natively in lower settings, then I can't see how it will draw the attention of the competition.

It may be something none of us guessed correctly.

Tbh, that quote doesn't really imply anything.

That's too much stock being put into a non-contextualised tweet that could literally mean anything to anyone.

Zippy6 said:
curl-6 said:

Sony already collaborated with Backbone on a PS Remote Player controller for phones last year:

https://playbackbone.com/au/playstation/

This costs $99 USD for just the controller bits, since the screen and internals are provided by the phone.

The problem with phone controllers for streaming is the screens are just too small. When you're streaming a 16:9 game you end up with around a 5.5" image with big black bars, and that's on the larger phones. It's small for modern console gaming and not a great experience as these games weren't designed to run on a display that small. I did complete Borderlands 2 and a bit of AC Origins this way streaming it to my phone but yeah it's not something I'd really recommend. A dedicated device will be far superior in both build quality and display. Plus you can still use your phone while gaming to respond to messages/calls or browsing the internet for something.

So phone controllers are something I have used for streaming but it's quite a compromised experience you have to accept to use hardware you already own. They're more useful for emulators and some native android games.

Couldn't agree more. I had a similar experience with phone games. The screen is to small. I already try to purchase the smallest iphone I can (SE) because I hate large phones in my pocket. Then when you add a good otter case your basically carrying a tablet in your pocket. 

The steam deck size I think is amazing for gaming. I put it in my laptop bag and it's great. Normally I wouldn't even entertain a streaming only device but using my deck I realize 90% of the time I play I'm at the office or at home. So these days I honestly wouldn't mind a streaming only device.