By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 12, 2023 (Mar 13 - Mar 19)

PS5 foung great.
Switch pulls out a win this week.

People claiming the PS5 is saturated are way off. Its hard to say if the Switch is truly saturated let alone the PS5 lol.

Also, what the hell releases in 2020 this week on Switch 😲

Around the Network
CosmicSex said:

PS5 foung great.

People claiming the PS5 is saturated are way off. Its hard to say if the Switch is truly saturated let alone the PS5 lol.

I didn't mean to imply PS5 was saturated, obviously that's a long way off, just that the period of very high sales that followed stock issues resolving seems to be settling down for now.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 March 2023

znake said:

People saying Switch sales are weak lmao
#1 in it’s 7th year

#1 compared to pathetic competition.

#7 compared to itself.

Top 30 software now included in OP

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

CosmicSex said:

Also, what the hell releases in 2020 this week on Switch?

It was Animal Crossing New Horizons. It was the best week for Switch ever, better than any holiday season week. The game released during the first Covid 19 lockdown.

Around the Network

Not surprising Bayonetta Origins fell flat to be honest, commercially it's a very tough sell.
The series is niche to begin with, and Origins jettisons pretty much all the qualities that make the IP appealing, so it's a spin-off of a niche series that doesn't even target the existing fanbase.
Add that it's full price despite resembling the sort of thing you'd usually see for $20 on the eshop, and I'm not sure what Nintendo and Platinum were thinking.

curl-6 said:

Not surprising Bayonetta Origins fell flat to be honest, commercially it's a very tough sell.
The series is niche to begin with, and Origins jettisons pretty much all the qualities that make the IP appealing, so it's a spin-off of a niche series that doesn't even target the existing fanbase.
Add that it's full price despite resembling the sort of thing you'd usually see for $20 on the eshop, and I'm not sure what Nintendo and Platinum were thinking.

Honestly, I think it's a low budget game Platinum asked Nintendo to keep money flowing to them (as they work on Project GG or whatever its called). The short interval between Bayonetta 3 and Origins is proof... it hasn't even been half a year since Bayo 3. So I think Nintendo was just being generous to Platinum by giving them a project and budget to work on... maybe to further their business relationship? Although investing sounds better from Nintendo's perspective like what Tencent did, that's just the "Nintendo way" of bonding with other companies. Hal Lab and GameFreak is just that and we all know how successful they are now. Not saying Platinum is following them, but you get the point.

They should have sold it at a cheaper price if they want to sell more copies, but like I said the purpose of this game most likely isn't to spread awareness of the IP, or to sell lots, but more like a quick money maker for Platinum to stay alive lol. That's what a lot of indie developers and smaller companies like PG do to keep working on their big project. Pitching smaller projects and hoping for some funding. Pretty sure GameFreak did that as well before Pokemon.

Last edited by Shatts - on 24 March 2023

curl-6 said:

After watching reviews, the game looks great, I kind of wish it was a new IP and not part of the Bayo lore and instead a world of its own. None the less, I think we shouldn't assume that it was expected to be some major seller. I'll definitely be checking it out once it's on discount but yeah, I think a low entry point and exposing the series/game to more people would be better then full price+few sales

curl-6 said:
CosmicSex said:

PS5 foung great.

I didn't mean to imply PS5 was saturated, obviously that's a long way off, just that the period of very high sales that followed stock issues resolving seems to be settling down for now.

Okay got you and for sure. I would say in the next month or so we should get a more accurate baseline.  (Then it will be messed up again when FF16 launches lol)

I think platinum games wants bayonetta to be their Dante, a recognisable character they can fall back on if they have another Babylon's fall, so I personally think bayorigins was a decent move to try and give the series more depth.

It's also good Nintendo is allowing them to do something they want to do instead of another action game that you see in the main series, and the game is a breath of fresh air, even amongst other games that are exclusive to Nintendo, I don't recall playing anything quite like it.