By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - As a kid or a teenager, did you play games not suitable for your age?

Definitely! I was 6 years old when I got Tekken 3. Then a bunch of stuff followed, like: Mortal Kombat IV, Resident Evil, Alone in the Dark. GTA San Andreas was the one that was getting me in trouble though, because it looked so real to my parents and they thought they were raising a criminal hahaha. I think ratings are there for a reason and I wouldn't want my child to be playing something that it's not ready for. But all children are not the same, some can handle and understand thing far better than others, so it's not inherently bad to play something off your age rating.

Around the Network

I know my brothers played Doom and unreal tournament but I did not like FPS games so I did not join in.
I think the first Diablo was rated 15+ or something I know I played that game when I was 10 or 11. The first Starcraft is similar.
Played GTA 2 when it released as well and probably played Eternal Darkness before I was old enough.

I remember mom did not like some games we played but it did not bother me since most games I liked was not intended for an older audience anyway. Except for Diablo but she did not know about that =)

I was born 1990. So for me it is a weird question to consider. Ratings back than did not mean what they mean today. A mature rating meant pixel blood from block figures. There was nothing mature about it. In hindsight most, if not all games were beneath mature, since the technical limitations rendered them so.

Consider what things are on display and how they are displayed in The Last of Us Part 2. Thats mature. And then consider mortal kombat. What is even that? There can be no real equal level of maturity between the two. The one is funny for kids. The other would perhaps be haunting, or maybe just uninteresting.

I always played "mature" games. But the edge of what is considered possible to portray in a game moved forward with me. God of War 1 was mature if I remember correctly. As was gta 3. But these games seem so very tame in comparison to what mature games of today are able to (or at least try to) do.

No, unless you count games like Doom as unsuitable for kids, or GTA 3 as unsuitable for a 15yo. But we dont do that here.

I played Duke Nukem 3D when I was in the first class, definitely inappropriate for that age 😅

Around the Network

I started with Leisure Suite Larry and Police Quest on PC, however I was 13 already when Leisure Suite Larry came out. Before that I played on MSX, can't remember any 'mature' games on that. By the time Wolfenstein 3D came out I was 18.

Right, how could I forget?

When I was 14 years old, I finished Resident Evil: Survivor for PS1, with a friend.

Sometimes. But some things were off limits until I was like 14 years old. My parents would not let me play things like GTA when I was that young. And I think it was the right call

Yep , played wtf i wanted everytime xD

Darwinianevolution said:

All the time.

^ this.