By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Academy Awards 2023

Everything Everywhere All at Once was good, but it wasn't that good. I'm surprised it swept all the major categories.

I'm glad All Quiet on the Western Front picked up a few awards - that was probably my favourite of the Best Picture nominees I've seen.

Around the Network

Glad EEAAO did well. Would have liked banshees to have got something, especially since a lot of it was shot where I grew up.

One of the few years I'm way behind on the big Oscar films, so don't have an opinion on EEAAO, Tar, etc.

Still annoyed that The Northman got snubbed across all categories. Happy for several of the Actor comeback stories, though (again) can't judge if they or someone else would be my first choice.

I'm really happy about all the wins for EEAAO and now I want to see Banshees of Inisherin, All Quiet of the Western Front and Tàr.

Jamie Lee Curtis shouting "SHUT UP!" when she won was so funny.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 13 March 2023

Signature goes here!

My favorite Oscars ever. Was entertained throughout the event. Thought Kimmel did just fine. Took a lot of digs that I liked, particulary about editing. That’s all I’ll say.

Everything Everwhere was my favorite film of the year (Whale was second), and I was thrilled that it just seemed to win about everything it was nominated for. You could tell the audience was onboard the EEAAO train as well. So much good feels throughout the 3 1/2 hours.

I’m very interested to see All Quiet on the Western Front. The score definitely moved me everytime they played it and I can see why it won for that category.

Brendan Fraser’s rebirth is complete. I always liked his earlier movies, but considered him to be a lightweight popcorn movie actor. I’ll admit that I completely slept on much of his work including and since The Mummy. Gods and Monsters is now on my watch list, along with several others. It really also makes me appreciate Encino Man and Airheads that much more.

I’m a huge Aronofsky fan, so seeing The Whale was a given for me. But Fraser’s performance in the movie transcends my expectations from an Aronofsky film. Requiem for a Dream and The Fountain are my favorites, but The Whale is jockeying for position.

I don’t expect future years to live up to this showing by the Oscars. Most years I don’t bother to watch (Mad Max for an Oscar???), but I’m really glad this one went as predicted. I’ve been watching Jamie Lee Curtis cheerlead everyone in the movie throughout this awards season and I’ve never seen a cast and crew more deserving of the accolades.

More than anything, though, I can’t wait to see what The Daniels have in store for us next.

Around the Network

The oscars are usually not in line with my tastes/opinions, but this year I was pretty happy with the winners.

As a big fan of Everything Everywhere it was great to see it pick up a bunch of wins including Best Picture, especially as it's not the kind of film that usually does well at the oscars, being a scrappy sci-fi comedy rather than a serious drama.

Was nice to see Top Gun get a bunch of nominations as well, not just cos it was really good but also cos it's similarly not typical oscar fare.

Avatr getting best FX was predictable but still well deserved. Also, I really, really need to watch All Quiet on the Western Front already, might do it today if I find the time.

Machina said:

I'm glad All Quiet on the Western Front picked up a few awards..

Maybe I'm too old now but I always liked the original movie. So this new version is completely irrelevant to me.

It was good. I just hate the speeches. I cringe so hard even when theres nothing to cringe at. Wish I could just enjoy them and be happy for the winners. EEAAO winning best editing was the one I really cheered for.

Love EEAAO! Definitely one of my fave film in recent years.

On top of my head:
Hereditary
Parasite
EEAAO

I was really torn between Michelle and Cate... They both deserve that award.

I was actually rooting for Stephanie Hsu for best supporting actress.

aikohualda said:

Love EEAAO! Definitely one of my fave film in recent years.

On top of my head:
Hereditary
Parasite
EEAAO

I was really torn between Michelle and Cate... They both deserve that award.

I was actually rooting for Stephanie Hsu for best supporting actress.

I love Jamie Lee Curtis to death but I was also rooting for Stephanie Hsu. She nailed that performance and she was mesmerizing as Joy/Jobu Tupaki. A lot of the lines she had to say could have sounded corny or off if it wasn't for how well she portrayed the inner turmoil of her character.

Signature goes here!