By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Last Of Us franchise will soon pass 40 million units sold

The PC version of Part I could easily sells some millions more.

Around the Network

Crazy sales, and deserving of every single one.

Medisti said:

Very good numbers! I’ve only played the PS4 version of the original myself. For curiosity’s sake, does anyone know any ballpark estimates for how each part of the series has sold? IE, the original, part 2, and the remake separately?

The original and the remaster combined surpassed 20mil in October 2019 like that graph in the OP shows and part 2 surpassed 10mil I think last year.

I think the people that made the graph misunderstood something as the 37 mil that was announced in december definitely included Part II, yet the text makes it sound like its only combining the different versions of the first. Either way it's solid numbers though and neither Part I or Part II are gonna stop selling anytime soon.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Medisti said:

Very good numbers! I’ve only played the PS4 version of the original myself. For curiosity’s sake, does anyone know any ballpark estimates for how each part of the series has sold? IE, the original, part 2, and the remake separately?

In terms of official data the last updates we got for each were:

• The Last of Us - 8.15 million as of May 2019
  • The Last of Us Remastered - 11.78 million as of May 2019
  • The Last of Us Part II - 10 million as of June 2022

No data for Part I yet.

All of that adds up to 29.93 million, leaving 7.07 million unaccounted for (up to Dec 2022). They'll all have benefited from that 7.07 million of course, but to varying degrees (3 and a half years of sales for a very old original & fairly old remaster; 6 months for the newer Part II; and the launch quarter for the brand new Part I).

Around the Network

By the way did LastofUs break the curse of video game adaptions always being bad movies? Or does TV shows with high production value not count hah.

Drakrami said:

By the way did LastofUs break the curse of video game adaptions always being bad movies? Or does TV shows with high production value not count hah.

Mortal Kombat and Silent Hill broke that curse years ago.

If this doesn't include PS Plus, that's wild.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:

If this doesn't include PS Plus, that's wild.

It's sold copies, not players.