By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Update: Leaker says the new Switch model he teased is next-gen, not a revision, Q1 2024 release

Pemalite said:
Soundwave said:

Seems like something is up, Nintendo has all of the sudden decided to get a Chinese hardware leaker (who's accurately leaked Nintendo stuff in the past like the Switch OLED's different stand, Splatoon 3 bundle) banned from Reddit now for whatever reason. He/she has claimed a more powerful next-gen Switch is in the cards too. Maybe they were about to leak something about the new system and/or Nintendo is trying to crack down on leaks after the Pokemon guy leaked his info (these are two different leaks btw). Jeff Grubb also has said he's head about Nintendo announcing new hardware at some point late this year I think.

Of course a new, more powerful next-gen Switch is on the cards. - How is that news?
These devices are planned years in advance, I would be surprised if Nintendo wasn't working on a Switch 2 before the Switch released.

Leakers who claim "a new console is in the works" might as well start trying to convince people that water is wet.

Leakers typically get more of their "leaks" or "predictions" wrong, than they do get right. - The ones they do get right are generally the most obvious of the obvious.

Depends on the leaker's track record, this guy has gotten previous things correct and probably is plugged into the manufacturing chain in China. 

Also, why is Nintendo going out of their way to get his Reddit and his posts on a Chinese forum shut down, if this Pokemon leaker was correct I think perhaps Nintendo is trying to crack down on leaks. 

Around the Network
EnricoPallazzo said:
Wman1996 said:

If the leaks are true, it probably won't be a Switch Pro unless Switch 2 doesn't come out at until at least Holiday 2025, or probably beyond.
There's almost no way Nintendo would release Switch Pro in Q3/Q4 2023 and then release Switch 2 in 2024 or the first half of 2025. It's a waste of R&D and anti-consumer if you ask me.
Switch 2 releasing in the autumn or holiday season is not likely. We likely would've heard way more leaks by now. A dev kit, OS, specs, or launch titles would've been things that probably would've leaked.
I don't think we'll get a Switch Pro or successor in 2023.

I think it will be switch 2 AND switch pro, kind of at the same time. All you need to do is release switch 2 with full backward compatibility and the possibility of upscaling the games to 4k. It will work as a new console but also allow you to take advantage fo a "pro" release with better performanc,e something that the switch really need at the moment due to bad performance of more demanding games.

I Playstation 5 basically does all of that too, heh. A successor system is a successor system especially if it has exclusives and/or is going to be the home of the next-gen Nintendo franchise installments. In that case it is Switch 2, now I mean you can also consider it a Switch Pro I guess because it'll probably be able to play last gen games at better performance, but the PS5 and XBSX also do that. 

Wman1996 said:

If the leaks are true, it probably won't be a Switch Pro unless Switch 2 doesn't come out at until at least Holiday 2025, or probably beyond.
There's almost no way Nintendo would release Switch Pro in Q3/Q4 2023 and then release Switch 2 in 2024 or the first half of 2025. It's a waste of R&D and anti-consumer if you ask me.
Switch 2 releasing in the autumn or holiday season is not likely. We likely would've heard way more leaks by now. A dev kit, OS, specs, or launch titles would've been things that probably would've leaked.
I don't think we'll get a Switch Pro or successor in 2023.

Wasn’t there a rumor that dev kits have been sent to a few publishers or was that debunked?

wrong thread

160rmf said:

Pemalite said:

A smooth transition instead of killing the previous gen right from the gate, abruptly forcing the consumers to move. I truly think it will work just right 

Why on Earth wouldn't Nintendo want that, though? It means selling more hardware right off the bat.

It's not like their support of outgoing consoles has been stellar in the past (e.g. moving titles midway through development to be exclusive to the successor platform, or just delaying titles to launch alongside it).

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
160rmf said:

A smooth transition instead of killing the previous gen right from the gate, abruptly forcing the consumers to move. I truly think it will work just right 

Why on Earth wouldn't Nintendo want that, though? It means selling more hardware right off the bat.

It's not like their support of outgoing consoles has been stellar in the past (e.g. moving titles midway through development to be exclusive to the successor platform, or just delaying titles to launch alongside it).

Bc it can't be taken as granted that will happen as the way they want to happen. You could have several stock issues or another wii u situation.

Plus you throw away a 100+Million Userbase that could bring more software sales to the table 

The best thing they did in the past that I can give as a comparison to my hypothetical scenario was the Switch in its first years while the 3ds was still getting software support. 

Last edited by 160rmf - on 03 March 2023

We reap what we sow

Soundwave said:
Pemalite said:

Of course a new, more powerful next-gen Switch is on the cards. - How is that news?
These devices are planned years in advance, I would be surprised if Nintendo wasn't working on a Switch 2 before the Switch released.

Leakers who claim "a new console is in the works" might as well start trying to convince people that water is wet.

Leakers typically get more of their "leaks" or "predictions" wrong, than they do get right. - The ones they do get right are generally the most obvious of the obvious.

Depends on the leaker's track record, this guy has gotten previous things correct and probably is plugged into the manufacturing chain in China. 

Also, why is Nintendo going out of their way to get his Reddit and his posts on a Chinese forum shut down, if this Pokemon leaker was correct I think perhaps Nintendo is trying to crack down on leaks. 

All "leakers" aka. "predictors" get things correct at one point or another.
They will typically just hide the crap they got wrong and for the few things they got right they will screech "look at me! I did a thing!".

We saw this prior to the Switch launch where "leakers" of all sorts of apparent "credibility" were claiming rubbish like the console was going to be Radeon powered, was going to have a 1080P display, was going to be 4k and more.
We see this cycle *every* console generation prior to the next console release. Every. Single. Time.

Nintendo tends to be rather rabid on closing down anything and everything Nintendo related on the internet, doesn't matter if it's Art, Game preservation, music, mods or whatever else.

They actually have a legal requirement to protect their I.P. I wouldn't look to much into it, it's Nintendo just being Nintendo.

haxxiy said:
160rmf said:

Fact of the matter is, with the Switch having 120~ million units in the market place and still continuing to grow, it is a platform that will still be around for years to come... Even if Nintendo doesn't develop for it.

And a Switch 2 or Switch Pro won't change that thankfully.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

160rmf said:
haxxiy said:

Bc it can't be taken as granted that will happen as the way they want to happen. You could have several stock issues or another wii u situation.

Plus you throw away a 100+Million Userbase that could bring more software sales to the table 

The best thing they did in the past that I can give as a comparison to my hypothetical scenario was the Switch in its first years while the 3ds was still getting software support. 

Or like they did when they transitioned from gameboy advance to the Nintendo ds.  They made the ds compatible with gameboy advance games, and even had slots in the ds boxes where you could store gba games.  They truly embraced the previous gen in that move.

Pemalite said:
Soundwave said:

They will typically just hide the crap they got wrong and for the few things they got right they will screech "look at me! I did a thing!".

We saw this prior to the Switch launch where "leakers" of all sorts of apparent "credibility" were claiming rubbish like the console was going to be Radeon powered, was going to have a 1080P display, was going to be 4k and more.
We see this cycle *every* console generation prior to the next console release. Every. Single. Time.

Nintendo tends to be rather rabid on closing down anything and everything Nintendo related on the internet, doesn't matter if it's Art, Game preservation, music, mods or whatever else.

They actually have a legal requirement to protect their I.P. I wouldn't look to much into it, it's Nintendo just being Nintendo.

haxxiy said:

Fact of the matter is, with the Switch having 120~ million units in the market place and still continuing to grow, it is a platform that will still be around for years to come... Even if Nintendo doesn't develop for it.

And a Switch 2 or Switch Pro won't change that thankfully.

There are tons of speculators on the internet, what does get my attention though is when Nintendo goes after one in specific and shuts them down. That doesn't

happen much. The timing of it is also interesting (a few days after someone working on Pokemon DLC leaked a bunch of stuff apparently). 

So those things are interesting. Random kid on Youtube talking about what they think is in Switch 2 or when it will launch, not so much. 

What tends to happen when new hardware is becoming more imminent is well more leaks start to pop up, it was true of NX/Switch itself, PS4 Pro, PS5, XBox Series X, etc. etc. 

Part of the reason for that I think is it's harder for these companies to control all the entities that go into game production and development these days. Games

today are heavily outsourced to multiple studios (like 10 studios can end up working on one game in some cases) and the production chain goes through China too where Japanese companies like a Nintendo or Sony don't have as much control, any random guy working at the factory can leak things. 

Pemalite said:
Soundwave said:

Leaks can be trustworthy though. Anyone who paid attention to them in 2016 would've known in advance that the Switch was gonna be a hybrid system. You just need to sort through the crap to get to the stuff that seems legit.