By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 7, 2023 (06 Feb - 12 Feb)

Norion said:

I assume that Hogwarts Legacy sold through all of its stock. This isn't gonna last but damn it's impressive how close the PS5 is to the Switch now YTD. At this rate it's gonna do over 2m this year and surpass the PS4's peak year. I think it's now ahead of the PS4 launch aligned though should fall behind again later. Switch is about 35% down so far so as expected a big drop is gonna happen here but it's still doing well.

I hear that people in Japan were unable to find physical copies of Hogwarts, so possibly. And the digital version probably sold more.

93k again for PS5 is nice to see. Not sure what the baseline will fall to once stock becomes normal (if they do) but definitely an indication of how many people wanted a PS5 in Japan but coyuldn't get one until now.

Kai_Mao said:

Must be disappointing for Bandai Namco that One Piece Odyssey fell out of the top 30, while the Switch version of One Piece Pirate Warriors 4 somehow is able to creep in the top 30 almost 2 years after release.

And maybe even worse for Sony considering that despite a 90k week for the PS5 hardware, they still cannot get even a third of the top 30 in the software charts.

@Kyuu
Keep in mind that that a large portion of PS5's (half a quarter?) can't even play physical games.
The digital ratio for games were already high on PS4 in Japan, and it's probably only higher now because of the Discless PS5 version.

Last edited by Hiku - on 17 February 2023

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Norion said:

I assume that Hogwarts Legacy sold through all of its stock. This isn't gonna last but damn it's impressive how close the PS5 is to the Switch now YTD. At this rate it's gonna do over 2m this year and surpass the PS4's peak year. I think it's now ahead of the PS4 launch aligned though should fall behind again later. Switch is about 35% down so far so as expected a big drop is gonna happen here but it's still doing well.

I hear that people in Japan were unable to find physical copies of Hogwarts, so possibly. And the digital version probably sold more.

93k again for PS5 is nice to see. Not sure what the baseline will fall to once stock becomes normal (if they do) but definitely an indication of how many people wanted a PS5 in Japan but coyuldn't get one until now.

Kai_Mao said:

Must be disappointing for Bandai Namco that One Piece Odyssey fell out of the top 30, while the Switch version of One Piece Pirate Warriors 4 somehow is able to creep in the top 30 almost 2 years after release.

And maybe even worse for Sony considering that despite a 90k week for the PS5 hardware, they still cannot get even a third of the top 30 in the software charts.

@Kyuu
Keep in mind that that a large portion of PS5's (half?) can't even play physical games.
The digital ratio for games were already high on PS4 in Japan, and it's probably only higher now because of the Discless PS5 version.

That's not true at all.  The table in the OP has the PS5 breakdown and shows that less than 15% of PS5s are the digital version.

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

kenjab said:
Hiku said:

Kai_Mao said:

@Kyuu
Keep in mind that that a large portion of PS5's (half?) can't even play physical games.

That's not true at all.  The table in the OP has the PS5 breakdown and shows that less than 15% of PS5s are the digital version.

I see. But the split looks different from week to week.
For example, I picked a random Famitsu thread from last year, and it looked like this:

25% that week, and 22% the previous week.

But it's probably still well below half overall.
So I don't know if that impacts the digital ratio from the PS4 era much.

Last edited by Hiku - on 17 February 2023

What is going on with the ps5?

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Hiku said:
kenjab said:

For example, I picked a random Famitsu thread from last year, and it looked like this:

You can see the lifetime sales of both models in the OP. You don't need to look at specific weeks for that. The DE has 13.3% of the total sales.

Around the Network
Eagle367 said:

What is going on with the ps5?

1. Sony are supplying stock.
2. There remains an international scalping dynamic which means not sales are a reflection of domestic demand and that is also partially responsible for the weird software/hardware ratio

Hiku said:
Norion said:

Yep, stock has held it back a lot till now. With FF16 not far off this surge of sales couldn't have come any later really.

Kakadu18 said:
Hiku said:

You can see the lifetime sales of both models in the OP. You don't need to look at specific weeks for that. The DE has 13.3% of the total sales.

Oh yeah. I should have looked a bit to the right. lol

Signalstar said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Most of these consoles still seem to get shipped to other countries, mainly China. Software sales still stand in no relation to the actual hardware sales. Even at 90% digital sales, physical sales would be too low.

Prove it.

PS5 game sales in the Famitsu Top 30 are even with Hogwarts big release week below the weekly PS5 console sales. At this day and age a console normally has an attach rate of around 3-4 games per console, yet the PS5 still sits at below 1 and that doesn't seem to change so far.

FFXVI devs are probably happy that PS5 stocks are there Worldwide.

Last edited by CloudxTifa - on 18 February 2023