By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Hogwarts Legacy breaks twitch singleplayer game concurrent viewers record

Also that Rowling is a billionaire with millions of followers.

Proud to be a Californian.

Around the Network
Hiku said:

There's a transgender character in the game, so it pretty much goes against JK Rowling's views anyway.

Avalanche Software Addresses Hogwarts Legacy's Transgender Character (ign.com)

JK Rowling is against trans characters in this latest HP game?

KLAMarine said:
Hiku said:

There's a transgender character in the game, so it pretty much goes against JK Rowling's views anyway.

Avalanche Software Addresses Hogwarts Legacy's Transgender Character (ign.com)

JK Rowling is against trans characters in this latest HP game?

Given her previous comments, you wouldn't expect her to include a canonical transgender character, let alone let the players chose whether the character they create is a wizard or witch, regardless of how you make your character's body and voice. Which determines if your character sleeps in the witch's dorms, or the wizard's dorms.

Last edited by Hiku - on 12 February 2023

shikamaru317 said:
SvennoJ said:

I watched a review with my wife, she bailed when it came to the combat. Too many buttons and combos... She's more into Potter than me, so I'll pass.

Maybe the story mode simplifies combat rather than just change HP and DMG values? The need to use a radial wheel (or tool wheel as the game calls it) during combat is a big no no. So far I can't find any info on whether you can stick to one 'setup' during combat without needing the tool wheel. Does the game at least pause when opening the tool wheel? The accessibility options seem rather sparse.

Story mode makes it ridiculously easy. I started on Story mode and it was so stupidly easily that I didn't need to use any potions at all during combat, ended up switching to Easy which at least offers some challenge on certain boss fights (though still not much).

You don't really need to switch hotbars during combat, as long as you are on one of your combat hotbars when you enter combat. You do get dueling challenges which pop-up on nearly every battle which ask that you use certain spells certain ways during the fight, but they are entirely optional, so you can stick with a single combat hotbar an entire fight if you want.

You unlock more hotbars for the spells with talent points once you unlock talents partway through the first season of the game (Summer), you will eventually get 4 hotbars, which isn't quite enough to hold all of the spells you will unlock over the course of the game, but it's enough for 2 combat hotbars, one transfiguration and magical beast care hotbar for the room of requirement, and one exploration hotbar (at least that is what I use each of the 4 for). The game doesn't pause when switching between hotbars (which is holding down the right trigger on controller and selecting which of the 4 hotbars you want with the 4 D-pad directions), but you can pause by entering the spell menu (right on D-pad) and then switch to the hotbar you want while paused in the spell menu I believe.

The game also has extremely generous block/dodge windows compared to many other similar games, you get a B button prompt for dodge or Y button prompt for block/parry on your screen on an Xbox controller (Circle and Triangle on PS controller I believe), like you have about 3 seconds to block/parry or dodge when the prompt appears usually on easy difficulty (edit: it's apparently 5 seconds on story mode), so it is pretty hard to take damage in this game except on a few bosses who have attacks that don't give a dodge prompt, requiring you to actually read those attacks and dodge them on your own, but on story difficulty even those attacks are a joke. 

Edit: Story mode also gets rid of the time limit on the spell learning minigame, and makes capturing a magical beast in your grab bag instantaneous. On easy and above, you have a time limit on the spell learning minigame which gets shorter on each successive difficulty level, and certain magical beasts have a 2 to 5 bar long catching minigame requiring you to use an immobilizing spell on them before you try to catch them.

The button prompts were such a smart idea to make it easier for people who don’t normally play games. My mom really only plays Animal Crossing and Mario Kart but she got a Series S for this, so I’m glad they have the color prompts for higher difficulties and button for lower. It’ll help so many people who aren’t used to combat

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Why was this thread moved to politics section wtf

Anyway, huge sales are coming:

Calling now, it will be the best selling game this year, selling more than Zelda and Spider Man (if it ever gets released this year)

Around the Network

Game is currently at #3 most played on the Xbox US charts, only behind Fortnite and CoD MW2/Warzone 2.0

IcaroRibeiro said:

Calling now, it will be the best selling game this year, selling more than Zelda and Spider Man (if it ever gets released this year)

I'd guess the top 10 ranking at the end of the year, worldwide, will be something like:

1. Hogwarts Legacy
  2. CoD 2023 (it was recently reported that what was originally planned to be just an expansion for CoD MW2 last year has instead been expanded into a full CoD release)
  3. Diablo 4
  4. Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
  5. Starfield
  6. Spider-Man 2
  7. EA Sports FC 2024 (EA lost the FIFA rights starting in 2023, so all future EA football games will be under the EA Sports FC name, while FIFA has partnered with another publisher to release a new FIFA branded football series of games starting in 2024)
  8. Star Wars Jedi Survivor
  9. Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League
  10. Resident Evil 4 Remake
Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 13 February 2023

The game has since sold over 15 million copies as of May and grossed over $1 billion:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/hogwarts-legacy-has-topped-15-million-sales-and-grossed-over-1-billion/

Sales exceeded WB's estimates by 256%:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2023/04/17/hogwarts-legacy-sold-256-more-than-estimates-at-launch/?sh=363f77b6403c

shikamaru317 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I'd guess the top 10 ranking at the end of the year, worldwide, will be something like:

1. Hogwarts Legacy
  2. CoD 2023 (it was recently reported that what was originally planned to be just an expansion for CoD MW2 last year has instead been expanded into a full CoD release)
  3. Diablo 4
  5. Starfield
  6. Spider-Man 2
  7. EA Sports FC 2024 (EA lost the FIFA rights starting in 2023, so all future EA football games will be under the EA Sports FC name, while FIFA has partnered with another publisher to release a new FIFA branded football series of games starting in 2024)

Now that it's been announced, Mario Bros Wonder will definitely be in the running for biggest game of the year as well, plus Tears of the Kingdom has blown up even bigger than expected, passing 18 million in it's first month and a half.

COD MW3 will probably end up at #1 though on brand name alone.

Will be very interesting to see where Hogwarts ends up; lifetime, 30 million plus could be on the cards.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 04 September 2023

30+ million is well deserved to be honest.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

curl-6 said:

The game has since sold over 15 million copies as of May and grossed over $1 billion:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/hogwarts-legacy-has-topped-15-million-sales-and-grossed-over-1-billion/

Sales exceeded WB's estimates by 256%:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2023/04/17/hogwarts-legacy-sold-256-more-than-estimates-at-launch/?sh=363f77b6403c

shikamaru317 said:

1. Hogwarts Legacy
  3. Diablo 4
  5. Starfield
  6. Spider-Man 2

Now that it's been announced, Mario Bros Wonder will definitely be in the running for biggest game of the year as well, plus Tears of the Kingdom has blown up even bigger than expected, passing 18 million in it's first month and a half.

COD MW3 will probably end up at #1 thoguh on brand name alone.

Will be very interesting to see where Hogwarts ends up; lifetime, 30 million plus could be on the cards.

Yea I could honestly see TotK taking the crown for end of the year sales except maybe for CoD (kind of hard to tell just how much the average CoD game sells, but obviously a lot). TotK is probably at around 20 mil by now and still doing well on sales charts, definitely bigger than I would expected pre-launch. Ignoring CoD and (not) FIFA my current guess for the top 5 would be:

1. Tears of the Kingdom
  2. Hogwarts Legacy
  3. Diablo IV
  4. Super Mario Wonder
  5. Spider-Man 2 or Starfield (Starfield will have more players probably, but since it's on gamepass Spider-Man might have more actual sales)

Baldur's Gate also probably won't be too far behind.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat