By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly sales update (To December 31st 2022) Switch 122.55 million

Ashadelo said:

Doesn't Nintendo (also assuming Sony and M$ do the same) start working on the next generation system once the current gen starts? Meaning when Switch launched Nintendo already started working on their next system.

That is how it works, plus COVID and Chip Shortages and who knows what else. So they would be experimenting with and developing technologies as they also keep the Switch alive. 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network

Software tie ratio up to 8.11 now

ShadowLink93 said:

Mario series sales on Switch

Super Mario Odyssey: 25.12m

New Super Mario Bros U: 14.75m
Super Mario 3D World: 10.82m

I hope this is a signal to Nintendo that 2D, 2.5D, and 3D Mario can all sell well on the same system. 

Switch's attach rate is now around the same as the NES, above Gameboy, SNES, N64, GBA, DS, 3DS, and Wii U and behind only the Wii and Gamecube among Nintendo's systems.

It has a definite shot at reaching #1 of all of them by the end of it's life, which would require an attach rate of 10 games.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 February 2023

curl-6 said:

Switch's attach rate is now around the same as the NES, above Gameboy, SNES, N64, GBA, DS, and 3DS, and behind only the Wii, Gamecube, and Wii U among Nintendo's systems.

It has a definite shot at reaching #1 of all of them by the end of it's life, which would require an attach rate of 10.

The Wii U has an attach rate of 7.63, way lower than the Switch. 9.6 would be enough for the highest.

Gamecube - 9.59

Wii - 9.07

Switch - 8.11

NES - 8.07

SNES - 7.72

Wii U - 7.63

N64 - 6.83

DS - 6.16

3DS - 5.13

GBA - 4.63

Game Boy - 4.22

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
curl-6 said:

Switch's attach rate is now around the same as the NES, above Gameboy, SNES, N64, GBA, DS, and 3DS, and behind only the Wii, Gamecube, and Wii U among Nintendo's systems.

It has a definite shot at reaching #1 of all of them by the end of it's life, which would require an attach rate of 10.

The Wii U has an attach rate of 7.63, way lower than the Switch. 9.6 would be enough for the highest.

Gamecube - 9.59

Wii - 9.07

Switch - 8.11

NES - 8.07

SNES - 7.72

Wii U - 7.63

N64 - 6.83

DS - 6.16

3DS - 5.13

GBA - 4.63

Game Boy - 4.22

Yeah my bad I mistyped the numbers into the calculator for Wii U.

And I was rounding up to 10, as people don't own 0.6 of a game.

Kakadu18 said:
curl-6 said:

Gamecube - 9.59

Wii - 9.07

Switch - 8.11

NES - 8.07

SNES - 7.72

Wii U - 7.63

N64 - 6.83

DS - 6.16

3DS - 5.13

GBA - 4.63

Game Boy - 4.22

The Wii sort of cheated getting that attach rate because Nintendo included the bundled Wii Sports in their software sales figures. If they didn't the attach rate for the Wii would be closer to 8. To be fair though quite a few of these consoles were also purchased with a bundled game, just not at the magnitude as the Wii.

Nintendo Switch's calendar year sales compared to Nintendo's most successful handheld and home console (DS & Wii) and their last handheld and home console (3DS & Wii U). In it's 6th Calendar year (purple) Switch ships 19.01 million versus 19.46 million for DS, 4.41 million for Wii, 7.36 million for 3DS and the Wii U at this point had already ended production and been discontinued 2 years prior.

javi741 said:
Kakadu18 said:

Gamecube - 9.59

Wii - 9.07

Switch - 8.11

NES - 8.07

SNES - 7.72

Wii U - 7.63

N64 - 6.83

DS - 6.16

3DS - 5.13

GBA - 4.63

Game Boy - 4.22

The Wii sort of cheated getting that attach rate because Nintendo included the bundled Wii Sports in their software sales figures. If they didn't the attach rate for the Wii would be closer to 8. To be fair though quite a few of these consoles were also purchased with a bundled game, just not at the magnitude as the Wii.

Ether way Nintendo gets there money. Wouldnt be surprised if Nintendo factored $40 for wiisports into the bundle

我是广州人

ShadowLink93 said:

Nintendo Switch's calendar year sales compared to Nintendo's most successful handheld and home console (DS & Wii) and their last handheld and home console (3DS & Wii U). In it's 6th Calendar year (purple) Switch ships 19.01 million versus 19.46 million for DS, 4.41 million for Wii, 7.36 million for 3DS and the Wii U at this point had already ended production and been discontinued 2 years prior.

Looking at this I feel like the Switch still has a decent shot at beating the DS. I can't really see it doprping as much as the DS did. There are too many unknowns at the moment to really draw a conclusion though.

Are Nintendo going to release a Switch 2 or are they going to do something crazy again? The latter leaves the possibility of a final iteration of the Switch to be released as a definitive way to play Switch games, it can also prolong the final years of sales. How much of an impact is Tears of the Kingdom going to have on sales? When is Prime 4 releasing and what impact is it going to have? What other games are we seeing this year and the next?

I think we'll see some very big surprises still this year that will keep sales higher than expected.