By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Live Service Games Are Dropping Like Flies

https://youtu.be/-SI_ZgjcmPY?t=4

My thoughts on the matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

I'm not really sure how live service games failing is any different to any other type of game failing. Not everything is going to sell well or have high engagement, regardless of whether it's a SP only game or a live service one.

live service titles are just harder to crack because you've got to keep engagement, while juggling development costs vs. player base. But at the end of day, it's not that much different from more traditional games failing to find success, like Tomb Raider or Calypso Protocol.

I don't think this ends publishers looking at this model. But publishers are definitely going to need to examine why their titles didn't work.

This kind of game has to have something special to be succesful.
Like Destiny and Sea of thieves.

Live Service Games dying?  Fake news.  Sony has 10 more of them on the way.

Good. I hope they go extinct.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Around the Network

Just gonna leave this here. 

SanAndreasX said:

Just gonna leave this here. 

I love "community sentiment ++"

twintail said:

I'm not really sure how live service games failing is any different to any other type of game failing. Not everything is going to sell well or have high engagement, regardless of whether it's a SP only game or a live service one.

live service titles are just harder to crack because you've got to keep engagement, while juggling development costs vs. player base. But at the end of day, it's not that much different from more traditional games failing to find success, like Tomb Raider or Calypso Protocol.

I don't think this ends publishers looking at this model. But publishers are definitely going to need to examine why their titles didn't work.

Live service games were the latest trend that every major publisher seemed to be pushing towards. Even for games where that model didn't fit at all. Just like battle royale games before it with everybody trying to cash in on the trend.

It's different because it will likely end that trend. Some games will still do it of course, but publishers won't be trying to force a live service game into every franchise they own anymore.

Most video games fail. That isn't limited to live service. But, when a live service game hits, the money printer goes brrrrrr! And it keeps going brrrrr for a long time. So, I don't expect any changes in the trend anytime soon.

Oh I'm glad the trend finally got to the oversaturated point it needed to go through cuz now I'm expecting some publishers and devs to actually workout actual better games instead of half-assed quick cash grabs.

Now does it end it ? Naaaah ! Look at what Sony said recently when it comes to the release of like "12 live-service games" speared by the acquisition of Bungie. It's clear this type of business still has room to wiggle through in the future even though it's cracks are more than prominent nowadays.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909