By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 4, 2023 (16 Jan - 22 Jan)

I recall a certain uscientific laser predicting PS5 to peak in Japan in 2021. My prediction though is that it will peak in 2024 (Monster Hunter Next, FF7 Rebirth, Dragon Quest XII, GTA6, FF14's next expansion + visual upgrade, and maybe the next "Souls"). I wonder if it will meet demand this year seeing as how it has nothing popular releasing on it apart from FF16, I think it should if the current baseline is maintained.

Around the Network
Norion said:

There should be some weeks this year with the PS5 on top if this keeps up. I'm pretty confident the Switch will be under 2017 for this year now though a bit over 3m would still be very good for its age.

That would be a very low result considering it's currently ahead of 2018 and 2017 is missing three months.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 27 January 2023

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Norion said:

There should be some weeks this year with the PS5 on top if this keeps up. I'm pretty confident the Switch will be under 2017 for this year now though a bit over 3m would still be very good for its age.

That would be a very low result considering, it's currently ahead of 2018 and 2017 is missing three months.

Yeah, i don't think there is any way Switch is as low as its 2017/2018 numbers this year. Should likely be high 3 millions. A good few hundred thousand above 2017 and 2018. 3.8m would be a million drop from 2022 which seems about right, and about 400k higher than 2017/2018.

TruckOSaurus said:
Norion said:

That would be a very low result considering, it's currently ahead of 2018 and 2017 is missing three months.

A 30-35% drop wouldn't be a very low result, for its age that wouldn't really be abnormal since the DS had a 41% drop one year and a 28% drop another year. You gotta keep in mind that 2021 was ahead of 2020 most of the time but then fell increasingly behind in the last three months and that the launch week mostly makes up for the lack of January and February in 2017. It's gonna need a significant lead to not fall behind the last few weeks of the year since its holiday sales will be far below 2017 and 2018.

Last edited by Norion - on 26 January 2023

Switch still has big titles this year and if the bloomberg report is true, i doubt it will do under 4 millions this year.

Around the Network
Norion said:
TruckOSaurus said:

A 30-35% drop wouldn't be a very low result, for its age that wouldn't really be abnormal since the DS had a 41% drop one year and a 28% drop another year. You gotta keep in mind that 2021 was ahead of 2020 most of the time but then fell increasingly behind in the last three months and that the launch week mostly makes up for the lack of January and February in 2017. It's gonna need a significant lead to not fall behind the last few weeks of the year since its holiday sales will be far below 2017 and 2018.

Wasn't the 3DS out when the DS fell that much?

Signature goes here!

Only way it drops 30% down to 2017/2018 levels is if Nintendo literally has nothing else coming out besides FE, Kirby, Zelda, and Pikmin and are taking no other action to help sales and are just fully focused on moving to the next-gen like early next year. Which is all incredibly unlikely.

Considering the fact that they are planning to increase production off a 19.5m year it's almost guaranteed they've got a bunch more games coming out this year and maybe some price cut action planned for the year.

20% drop to 3.8m is reasonable.

Switch sales are exactly the same as this week in 2019, so really not bad.

If you didn't know yesterday Famitsu gave us hardware splits for weeks 1 & 2.

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 26 January 2023

Ps5 be like
I'm comin for that as$

Fire emblem doing what I expected (physically)
Nice sales