By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - December NPD 2022 Thread - #1 MWII, #2 Pokemon S/V, #3 GoW Ragnarok

December 2022 NPD covers the period from November 27, 2022 to December 31, 2022.

tldr:

December Hardware:

• Units: NS #1, PS5 #2, XS #3
  • Revenue: PS5 #1, NS #2, XS #3

2022 hardware:

• Units: NS #1, PS5 #2, XS #3
  • Revenue: PS5 #1, NS #2, XS #3

Software:

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II
  2. Pokémon Scarlet and Violet
  3. God War: Ragnarök
  4. Madden NFL 23
  5. FIFA 23

Link to VGChartz article here.

Switch Best-Selling Console in the US in December, PS5 Outsells Xbox Series X|S

The Nintendo Switch was the best-selling console in the US in December 2022 in terms of units sold, according to figures from The NPD Group. NPD includes the dates for the five week period of November 27, 2022 to December 31, 2022.

The PlayStation 5 was the second best-selling console in December in terms of units sold, while the Xbox Series X|S came in third place. In terms of revenue. the PlayStation 5 was number one, followed by the Nintendo Switch in second and the Xbox Series X|S in third.

For the entire year of 2022, the Nintendo Switch was the best-selling console in terms of units sold, followed by the PlayStation 5 in second and Xbox Series X|S in third. In terms of revenue, the PlayStation 5 was number one, followed by the Nintendo Switch in second and the Xbox Series X|S in third.

Overall spending on video games in December were up two percent year-on-year from $7.43 billion to $7.58 billion. Spending on video game content decreased one percent from $5.60 billion to $5.55 billion, while video game hardware sales increased 16 percent from $1.32 billion to $1.53 billion.

Year-to-date sales for 2022 are down five percent from $59.62 billion to $56.56 billion. Spending on video game content in 2022 dropped seven percent from $50.83 billion to $47.48 billion, while video game hardware sales are up eight percent percent from $6.06 billion to $6.57 billion. 

"U.S. consumer spending on video game content, hardware and accessories totaled $7.6B in December 2022, an increase of 2% when compared to a year ago," said The NPD Group Executive Director and Video Game Industry Advisor Mat Piscatella. "Hardware spending grew 16%, offsetting declines in both content (-1%) and accessories (-2%)."

"2022 spending totaled $56.6B, 5% below 2021 levels despite growth in hardware and subscription content spend. Factors impacting 2022 spending included continued supply constraints of console hardware, a relatively light slate of new premium releases, and macroeconomic conditions."

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II remained the best-selling game (in terms of revenue) in its third month on the market and is the best-selling game of 2022. 

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet was up one spot to second place in its second place, while God of War: Ragnarök dropped one spot to third place. Madden NFL 23 and FIFA 23 were both up one spot to fourth and fifth places, respectively.

Need for Speed: Unbound was the top selling new release in December 2022 as it debuted in eighth place. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII: Reunion debuted in 10th place and The Callisto Protocol debuted in 17th place.

For the best-selling games of 2022 (in terms of revenue) Elden Ring came in second place, followed by Madden NFL 23 in third place, God of War: Ragnarök in fourth place, and LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga in fifth place.

Here are the top 20 best-selling games in terms of dollars for December 2022:

Top 10 best-selling Nintendo games for December 2022:

Top 10 best-selling PlayStation games for December 2022:

Top 10 best-selling Xbox games for December 2022:

Here are the top 20 best-selling games in year-to-date 2022:

Here are the top 10 best-selling Nintendo games in 2022:

Here are the top 10 best-selling PlayStation games in 2022:

Here are the top 10 best-selling Xbox games in 2022:

Last edited by trunkswd - on 17 January 2023

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Should by all means be a massive month for PS5 (and a massive month in general) but I suppose we'll know soon enough.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Should by all means be a massive month for PS5 (and a massive month in general) but I suppose we'll know soon enough.

I agree PS5 should have had a massive December. Sony clearly sent far more stock to the US than Europe.

Once Mat releases his report I will get the article written up, then work on our estimates. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

We will not have publication today was rescheduled for Tuesday

It's still an awe moment to see that Pokemon on physical only to chart almost at the top, but yeah, it is Pokemon after all.

Surprised that Sonic Frontiers maintained a place the top 10. Might it have the legs previous games in the series dis not have.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

I agree PS5 should have had a massive December. Sony clearly sent far more stock to the US than Europe.

Once Mat releases his report I will get the article written up, then work on our estimates. 

Btw how come the Switch went from 118.99 to 118.81 ?

SKMBlake said:
trunkswd said:

Btw how come the Switch went from 118.99 to 118.81 ?

Adjustments following the Europe 2022 report. 

trunkswd said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Yes it seems very likely that's what happened.  People seemed pretty oblivious to the fact that Sony still makes more money per PS5 in the US.  There exists demand globally but don't expect them to flood Europe with stock until a cheaper to make Slim model becomes available.

I wonder if digital was factored in if Pokemon would have been #1?

我是广州人

Out of this list, I'm still surprised to see Lego Star Wars charting like it did, especially since previous Lego games based on major IP's like Harry Potter and LoTR didn't sell like the Skywalker Saga has.