By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you think Switch 2 launch games will be?

Super Mario's Wacky Worlds
Super Mario RPG 2
Super Mario 65
Super Mario Sunshine 2
Mario Kart 10
Zelda Wand of Gamelon HD
Metroid Prime Remake (it will run on RE Engine)
Star Fox Zero Plus One
F-Zero for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U
Splatoon 3 Ultimate
Smash 64 (just Smash 64 as is, also no online multiplayer)
NES ports that will cost $10 per game

idk I'm bored

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:

Switch 2 is likely coming in 2024. What do you think the major launch games will be? Not necessarily on launch day but in the launch period. Switch had BotW and then MK8D the next month.

I think MK9 is the most obvious. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3D Mario during the launch window either. All the other major franchises seem to have had games release too recently or will be releasing later on Switch to be able to be launch period games for the next-gen.

I guess if we don't end up getting certain games on Switch (DK, Star Fox, Kid Icarus??, FZero...yes i know but a boy can dream) any of those could be launch period titles.

I seriously doubt it, since not all tracks for MK8DX have been released yet, so work on MK9 would be slow, if any right now.

I expect some Mario Jump & run (2D or 3D, though probably the latter), a new IP (Wii had Wii Sports, Wii U had Nintendo Land and Switch had 1-2 Switch, so certainly they'll come with something new to showcase the console again this time) and Metroid Prime 4 getting pushed to the new console, plus the return of a more unexpected IP. And if it comes out in fall, a new Pokemon title, though probably a spinoff, not mainline.

I also foresee a new Yoshi and Paper Mario titles along with a Mario Party and a Mario Sports title before it's second holiday season, with Splatoon 4 a possibility depending on when thee console launches. 

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Slownenberg said:

Switch 2 is likely coming in 2024. What do you think the major launch games will be? Not necessarily on launch day but in the launch period. Switch had BotW and then MK8D the next month.

I think MK9 is the most obvious. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3D Mario during the launch window either. All the other major franchises seem to have had games release too recently or will be releasing later on Switch to be able to be launch period games for the next-gen.

I guess if we don't end up getting certain games on Switch (DK, Star Fox, Kid Icarus??, FZero...yes i know but a boy can dream) any of those could be launch period titles.

I seriously doubt it, since not all tracks for MK8DX have been released yet, so work on MK9 would be slow, if any right now.

Who says they haven't already finished MK9? I doubt they have a huge team working on these tracks regardless.

Kakadu18 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Who says they haven't already finished MK9? I doubt they have a huge team working on these tracks regardless.

Pretty sure the mobile division(DeNa) which was working on MK Tour is the one also remastering the tracks for MK8 DX.

The main team was mostly working on Splatoon 3 last I remember, just like they were doing ARMS at the beginning of 2017.

Wouldn't be surprised if they were going to work on it "full force" now.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:
Kakadu18 said:

Pretty sure the mobile division(DeNa) which was working on MK Tour is the one also remastering the tracks for MK8 DX.

The main team was mostly working on Splatoon 3 last I remember, just like they were doing ARMS at the beginning of 2017.

The team working on Splatoon afaik also worked on Animal Crossing. I thought the Mario Kart/Arms team is a different one.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
Mar1217 said:

The team working on Splatoon afaik also worked on Animal Crossing. I thought the Mario Kart/Arms team is a different one.

They prolly share devs from multiple EPD team so I'm prolly be lost in the meddle on who's working for what at some point 😂

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

The next Mario Kart should absolutely be the #1 launch title exclusively for Switch 2. Other than that, I am hopeful that 2D Mario can be held off and launch as a Switch 2 exclusive. I feel like whatever Pokemon title is released the same year as Switch 2 (betting on a Crystal remake for 2024 and Gen 10 for 2025) will be released on both Switch & Switch 2, so I'd consider that a launch title as well. If it's Gen 10, then I could see Gen 10 DLC throughout 2026 being cross-platform as well. If the system launches in 2024 then I could see Gen 10 and up being exclusive to Switch 2.

DLC for 2D Mario & Mario Kart could also help flesh out the Switch 2's first full year afterwards.

I don't see us getting a new 3D Mario or open world Zelda at launch or even a year after launch. That being said, I could see us getting an OoT remake the year after the Switch 2 launches. I also see Smash Bros. & Animal Crossing coming the year after. Maybe we could get Mario Party that year as well.

Definitely will have Mario Kart and a 3D Mario game (though one might be later than launch).

There’s likely to be some kind of casual game released as well.

Pikmin and Metroid Prime 4 could be cross gen.

I am hoping for a Mario Maker 3D so if they need to take several years to make it, I would be happy to wait.

As others have mentioned, Mario Kart 9 is almost certainly a launch title or at least launch window. I feel the game will have a bigger focus on competitive online gameplay and challenge leaderboards.

Some form of new IP to show off whatever the console is capable off. I'd love to see a Nintendo Land 2 (they should make it part of the system and release dlc just before a new release, free for online + subscribers, to promote the games.) It's more likely that they've been experimenting with roguelike/lite and survival games though, as those genre's are booming right now. Give it the old Nintendo twist.

A revival of an old IP. Something along the lines of Kid Icarus, F-Zero, Duck Hunt or another go at Star Fox. This will depend on what direction the NextNintendo will go. Hopefully they'll do something with all the 3D tech they have.

A sequel to a relatively new IP, perhaps Ever Oasis or Astral Chain.

A remaster/remake of a pre-gamecube title. Something along the lines of Link's Awakening.

Luigi's Mansion might release the first Halloween the system goes through and Mario Maker 3 will be inside launch window. Not sure about 2D Mario as I think we'll see some sort of 2.5D Mario around the release of the movie.