By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you think Switch 2 launch games will be?

Random:

If Nintendo calls the next Switch the Ultra Switch they would have made a We, a You, and an Us.

Around the Network

MK9, although some of my friends start to believe that the next Zelda will be a inter-gen release.
I still believe MK9 will be used to nuke it out with the strongest title they have.
Metroid P4 has been cancelled to redesign it for the next gen system I believe.

PS : WHEN are we receiving apologizes for having been insulted in 2019 when we said there would be no Switch Pro ?...

Port of Breath of the wild somewhere in year 1, probably Metroid Prime 4 on both consoles and a Mario game for the holidays.

Metroid Prime 4 for tech showcase, Mario Kart 9, maybe Breath of the wild 2 (maybe if the Switch 2 launches early next year and the game is delayed until launch like BOTW 1).

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
anonymunchy said:

As others have mentioned, Mario Kart 9 is almost certainly a launch title or at least launch window. I feel the game will have a bigger focus on competitive online gameplay and challenge leaderboards.

Some form of new IP to show off whatever the console is capable off. I'd love to see a Nintendo Land 2 (they should make it part of the system and release dlc just before a new release, free for online + subscribers, to promote the games.) It's more likely that they've been experimenting with roguelike/lite and survival games though, as those genre's are booming right now. Give it the old Nintendo twist.

A revival of an old IP. Something along the lines of Kid Icarus, F-Zero, Duck Hunt or another go at Star Fox. This will depend on what direction the NextNintendo will go. Hopefully they'll do something with all the 3D tech they have.

A sequel to a relatively new IP, perhaps Ever Oasis or Astral Chain.

A remaster/remake of a pre-gamecube title. Something along the lines of Link's Awakening.

Luigi's Mansion might release the first Halloween the system goes through and Mario Maker 3 will be inside launch window. Not sure about 2D Mario as I think we'll see some sort of 2.5D Mario around the release of the movie.

Solid thoughts. Yeah I could see Luigi's Mansion 4 coming out in the first Halloween season for the system, though that may be in 2025.

Would be great to have a game be part of the system, though unless there is some interesting new feature of the system that is a totally new kind of way to play games I don't see this happening because there wouldn't be a need to show off what the system can do, like the way they did with Wii Sports and motion controls.

I've been hoping we still get Kid Icarus, Star Fox, and F-Zero (extremely unlikely ha) in the last round of games on the Switch either late this year or early/mid next year. But yeah if none of those games come to Switch it would be fantastic to have one of them in the launch window for the successor. Especially if the really big launch window games are 3D Mario and MK9 as seems to be the most obvious thing, that way we'd get a bit of diversity from just Mario games at launch.

Remake of Eternal Darkness would be amazing. I think that's the main game from GC that i'd like to see get a remake. Was such a unique and weird game.

Around the Network

Here's just two questions I would ask

1.) Is there a new Mario Kart, Zelda, Smash Bros. or epic 3D Mario available for launch day?

2.) Is there past that a strong secondary Nintendo IP (like a Splatoon-level) available no more than 3-4 months later?

If Nintendo can't answer "yes" to both of these questions, they probably shouldn't launch their system.

Even Nintendo fans can be a bitch to Nintendo if they don't get an "epic" Nintendo release right at the launch of a system, like you would think after 30+ years Nintendo could say "hey we're good for these IP, you know you're only going to play them on our system since we don't release them anywhere else, so give us a bit of a break and just buy the machine at launch, OK" ... doesn't work for Nintendo even with Nintendo fans.

Nintendo fans lose their shit if you don't give them that "wow, this is a BIG TICKET Nintendo IP new installment" ... and no, I don't think even Metroid is near enough. Metroid is a B/C tier Nintendo franchise. You gotta bring the big guns, Zelda is probably the most preferable because it generates excitement within the core Nintendo community like nothing else (unless you release a "kiddy Zelda" that Wind Waker was dubbed as). 

Nintendo has to make sure they have 2 (not just 1) big titles in the launch window with the bigger of those two games being more ideally a day 1 launch title. Actually really ideally you probably want 3 ... the Switch got Zelda: BOTW, Mario Kart 8, and Splatoon 2 within its first 5 months on market, and it will be harder for Nintendo to replicate that this time around because they were able to basically take those games from the Wii U, even Splatoon 2 uses a ton of assets and content from Splatoon 1. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 18 January 2023

First Party (Nintendo EPD):

Pack-in tech demo game ala Astro's Playroom
New IP
NES era Nintendo IP revival from Next Level Games

Third Party:

Some Multiplatform titles
A few exclusives
Ports and Cross-gen titles from Switch

TheMisterManGuy said:

First Party (Nintendo EPD):

Pack-in tech demo game ala Astro's Playroom
New IP
NES era Nintendo IP revival from Next Level Games

Third Party:

Some Multiplatform titles
A few exclusives
Ports and Cross-gen titles from Switch

That wouldn't work for Nintendo. Sony can do that because Sony's audience is more interested in getting their yearly COD, FIFA, Madden NFL, NBA 2K, etc. that Sony's titles are really more like "support" games, Nintendo is the other way around. 

Nintendo tried launching the GameCube with a new IP in Pikmin and it didn't take off as a big ticket IP for them (still isn't even to this day). 

You need to have one of the big gun Nintendo IP at launch. 

I would say (and I'll just use March 2024 as a generic launch date for the sake of this example) if I was Nintendo's president, I would want at minimum something like this

March 2024-April 2024:

Mario Kart 9

Zelda: BOTW + TOTK 4K re-release with new DLC content

Smaller scale Nintendo IP (Pilotwings or a Wave Race or something or new IP)

3rd party games: Street Fighter VI, Final Fantasy VII Remake port, Call of Duty, etc. 

May-June 2024:

Metroid Prime 4

And then I would want several decent sized games culminating with another big ticket holiday November 2024 game. 

Slownenberg said:
anonymunchy said:

As others have mentioned, Mario Kart 9 is almost certainly a launch title or at least launch window. I feel the game will have a bigger focus on competitive online gameplay and challenge leaderboards.

Some form of new IP to show off whatever the console is capable off. I'd love to see a Nintendo Land 2 (they should make it part of the system and release dlc just before a new release, free for online + subscribers, to promote the games.) It's more likely that they've been experimenting with roguelike/lite and survival games though, as those genre's are booming right now. Give it the old Nintendo twist.

A revival of an old IP. Something along the lines of Kid Icarus, F-Zero, Duck Hunt or another go at Star Fox. This will depend on what direction the NextNintendo will go. Hopefully they'll do something with all the 3D tech they have.

A sequel to a relatively new IP, perhaps Ever Oasis or Astral Chain.

A remaster/remake of a pre-gamecube title. Something along the lines of Link's Awakening.

Luigi's Mansion might release the first Halloween the system goes through and Mario Maker 3 will be inside launch window. Not sure about 2D Mario as I think we'll see some sort of 2.5D Mario around the release of the movie.

Solid thoughts. Yeah I could see Luigi's Mansion 4 coming out in the first Halloween season for the system, though that may be in 2025.

Would be great to have a game be part of the system, though unless there is some interesting new feature of the system that is a totally new kind of way to play games I don't see this happening because there wouldn't be a need to show off what the system can do, like the way they did with Wii Sports and motion controls.

I've been hoping we still get Kid Icarus, Star Fox, and F-Zero (extremely unlikely ha) in the last round of games on the Switch either late this year or early/mid next year. But yeah if none of those games come to Switch it would be fantastic to have one of them in the launch window for the successor. Especially if the really big launch window games are 3D Mario and MK9 as seems to be the most obvious thing, that way we'd get a bit of diversity from just Mario games at launch.

Remake of Eternal Darkness would be amazing. I think that's the main game from GC that i'd like to see get a remake. Was such a unique and weird game.

I'm actually leaning more towards an early 2025 release for the NextNintendo. Same strategy as the Switch release. Early buyers will buy anyway, use the following months to build up a nice catalog for the Holiday season.

Ever since some guy on YouTube simulated glasses free 3D using the WiiMotes and SensorBar, I've been hoping Nintendo implements that idea into their consoles. Nintendo Land layout would be great as a system menu. It gave you the option to select games from a menu, or you could use your Mii to walk around the park. 

F-Zero would be a likely contender as a revived IP because they have mentioned needing a new way to play for a new F-Zero to release. Glasses free 3D or VR for F-Zero would be insane. I think Kid Icarus has the biggest chance of still releasing on the Switch.

Eternal Darkness would be great to revive, fantastic game on its own and really adds diversity to the first party IP's. 

anonymunchy said:
Slownenberg said:

I'm actually leaning more towards an early 2025 release for the NextNintendo. Same strategy as the Switch release. Early buyers will buy anyway, use the following months to build up a nice catalog for the Holiday season.

Ever since some guy on YouTube simulated glasses free 3D using the WiiMotes and SensorBar, I've been hoping Nintendo implements that idea into their consoles. Nintendo Land layout would be great as a system menu. It gave you the option to select games from a menu, or you could use your Mii to walk around the park. 

F-Zero would be a likely contender as a revived IP because they have mentioned needing a new way to play for a new F-Zero to release. Glasses free 3D or VR for F-Zero would be insane. I think Kid Icarus has the biggest chance of still releasing on the Switch.

Eternal Darkness would be great to revive, fantastic game on its own and really adds diversity to the first party IP's. 

Oh yeah I remember that youtube video that was nuts!

I think it is so weird that Nintendo says they would need basically a new gimmick to make another Fzero game. Like, its been 20 years, you don't need a gimmick, just bring Fzero into modern times with a new game. I've been playing FzeroX on NSO recently and man that game is still sooooo good. Sometimes Nintendo is too into the idea of adding something new to games when they should just iterate on a good formula. I feel like that became a problem with Star Fox, trying to change it from the original formula and it lost its luster.

Anyway, yea Fzero, Kid Icarus, Eternal Darkness remake or sequel...all stuff I'd love to see in these last two years of the Switch or as early Switch 2 games.