By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Multiplat 2023 OpenCritic Prediction League - Year End Results!

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Ok so I'm kind of jumping the gun here since MWIII only has 8 reviews and they seem to only be based on the campaign, but nevertheless it does have an opencritic score now and it's 53 with 0 % critic recommendation. Ouch.

Obviously it's likely the score will increase when the full batch of reviews starts coming in, but for now it's 22 points below the most pessimistic prediction.

Hopefully multiplayer reviews can at least bring it up into the 60's, since the multiplayer is MW2 (2009)'s popular maps remade with modern graphics.

Around the Network

Alright big update as I've tallied the points of three games (Assassin's Creed Mirage, Sonic Superstars and Modern Warfare III) as well correcting the Mortal Kombat tally where the score had changed and I had forgotten to add the points to the total (whoops). All three of the new titles ended up lower than anybody had predicted, so it seems pessimism paid off this time. Mirage ended up at 76, Sonic Superstars at 74 and Modern Warfare III at 58 (could still change but it's safe to say it will be more than 10 points below the lowest prediction placed, ouch).

With all of these points tallied up we actually have a tie between @BonfiresDown and @NobleTeam360 both at 80 points, which means that the last game Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora will end up being the tiebreaker (safe to say at this point Hollow Knight isn't making 2023). Interesting to see how that plays out.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Banned for spamming the same post on the forums - TrunksWD

Last edited by trunkswd - on 29 November 2023

First reviews are in for Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and it looks like another game that disappoints. Currently sitting at a score of 69 with 46 reviews, a decent margin lower than any predictions. It's the last game this year since Hollow Knight is a no show but I'll wait a few weeks to let the score settle before I tally up.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:

First reviews are in for Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and it looks like another game that disappoints. Currently sitting at a score of 69 with 46 reviews, a decent margin lower than any predictions. It's the last game this year since Hollow Knight is a no show but I'll wait a few weeks to let the score settle before I tally up.

Damn, that is quite low for a AAA. Ubisoft really needs to up their game, just about the only series they have that still reviews pretty well is Assassin's Creed (with all 3 RPG entries reviewing 80+ and one of them reviewing 85+), most of their other series have all seen reviews dwindle into the 70's. Far Cry, once 90+ on Far Cry 3, fell to mid 80's on Far Cry 4 and then 5, 6, Primal, and New Dawn each averaging in the 70's. Watch Dogs managed to average somewhere in the 70's on all 3 games. Ghost Recon hasn't had an 80+ entry since Advanced Warfighter 2 back on 360/PS3, with the most recent entry being the lowest reviewed in the series ever (aside from poor ports) with an average in the 50's across all 3 platforms. Ubisoft Massive was doing well, with both The Division and The Division 2 averaging 80+, but now they develop Avatar with a 69 average, which makes me worried about Star Wars Outlaws.

Around the Network

I should've lowered my prediction as soon as I saw the 2000s era generic gameplay trailer :/

70s at best seems to be what the major Ubisoft games will get. Far Cry 6 got a 76, AC Mirage got a 76. Avatar I'm surprised is at a 69.

Even AC Valhalla barely got out of that range with an 83.

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 06 December 2023

G2ThaUNiT said:

70s at best seems to be what the major Ubisoft games will get. Far Cry 6 got a 76, AC Mirage got a 76. Avatar I'm surprised is at a 69.

Even AC Valhalla barely got out of that range with an 83.

All 3 RPG AC games did manage 80+ at least (and I enjoyed all 3 of them personally), the only AAA Ubisoft games to manage 80+ in the last half decade or so afaik. So I do have high hopes for next year's AC Red set in Japan, since it is going back to the RPG formula. Star Wars Outlaws and the rumored AC4 Remake are pretty much the only other Ubisoft game I have any hopes for at this point besides AC Red, the upcoming Far Cry games sound awful based on what leaked out, and Watch Dogs and Immortals franchises are supposedly dead within Ubisoft. Don't really like Ghost Recon or The Division, Beyond Good and Evil 2 is clearly vaporware, Skull & Bones will surely be shit after being in dev hell so long.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 06 December 2023

I think AC Red is a safe 80+, hopefully even 85+. But yeah, these other half-baked, relatively uninspired Ubi games aren’t doing their already shake financial situation any favors.

I love The Division but I will readily admit that the story is meh at best and the mission design isn’t terribly inspiring either, along with well made but uninventive gameplay. SW Outlaws has some impressive tech and production values but they need to step up their game in these areas to get a high single player metascore.

If I had a dolar for every time Ubisoft released a sub-par Avatar game, I would have 2 dolars. Which isn't much, but it's weird it happened twice.