By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Race to 100M: PlayStation 5 versus Xbox Platform

Who Wins?

PlayStation 5 42 70.00%

Xbox Platform 6 10.00%

Neither Will Reach 100M 12 20.00%

Total:60

What do you think? Can the Xbox platform (Series X/S + GamePass) reach 100M combined users before the PlayStation 5 does? 

Edit: To clarify, its GamePass subscribers (IE. 25M officially) & Xbox Series X/S hardware sales, versus PlayStation 5 hardware sales.  

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 01 January 2023

Around the Network

For reference, the Xbox platform could be anywhere from 50M - 60M users right now, depending on GamePass growth, while Sony expects record breaking shipments/sales for the PlayStation brand this year.

Probably the PS5.

Series is not reaching 100 million at all. S/X matching or slightly edging out 360. PS5 will.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Are you counting Xbox GP subscribers as two users?

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

Yes and PSPlus subscription holders are counted as 0 users.

So the count isn't about the consoles but more so the whoever reaches the 100M subscriber milestone on respective platform ?

This is confusing, in that case neither because there's obviously overlapping to take into account.

If we are solely speaking of console sales then the PS5 will take the cake obviously. The Xbox is still too much of a non-factor in the international markets compared to Sony even with the massive push for the success of the Series S

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

IcaroRibeiro said:

Mar1217 said:

So the count isn't about the consoles but more so the whoever reaches the 100M subscriber milestone on respective platform ?

This is confusing, in that case neither because there's obviously overlapping to take into account.

If we are solely speaking of console sales then the PS5 will take the cake obviously. The Xbox is still too much of a non-factor in the international markets compared to Sony even with the massive push for the success of the Series S

Its a comparison of GamePass subscribers (IE. Microsoft reported 25M at the start of 2022) + Xbox Series X/S hardware sales, which represents the Xbox platform, versus PlayStation 5 hardware sales. 

PotentHerbs said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Mar1217 said:

Its a comparison of GamePass subscribers (IE. Microsoft reported 25M at the start of 2022) + Xbox Series X/S hardware sales, which represents the Xbox platform, versus PlayStation 5 hardware sales. 

Oki. I wasn't sure at first but now that's clear I guess the added factor for the Xbox would at least make the comparison more interesting

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

At first I thought this was a ridiculous thread before reading more closely. It should take till 2026 or 2027 for the PS5 to hit 100m and the Xbox Series will probably be around 60m by then so it all comes down to if around 40m subscribers to GP can be gained from non-Xbox console users. A ton of this depends on if the Activision Blizzard acquisition goes through since stuff like COD on GP would cause a big boost to subscriber count. The Xbox platform does have a shot I think.