By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - List of Games You've Beaten 2023

Signalstar said:

Just Finished: Star Fox (NSO)

I have never played a Star Fox game so I guess the original is the best place to start. Fox is one of my favorite characters in Smash Bros though I really did not know much about him as a character or his games. I played on Switch in handheld mode. I realize it is an early #D console game and for the time it must have been a technological marvel on SNES. Obviously the graphics haven't aged well and quite frankly neither has the game as a whole. I played with analog controls which probably made things smoother. I had to find a control scheme that I found comfortable. This is an on-rails shooter which I don't usually play outside of arcade settings. I had to get used to not being in full control of movement. The hit detection seems iffy especially for one annoying boss fight in particular. I can't deny that the core gameplay loop is enjoyable thought. Doing a barrel roll is quite satisfying. It took me about 4 hours to complete the game on all three routes. I finally understand some of the series references in Smash Bros now. Some obstacles and projectiles are hard to avoid and it can be difficult to know where you should aim to defeat certain enemies. This game is like Fire Emblem in the sense that if your support characters die they stay dead, which is a neat feature but it can be tricky to tell them apart from enemies when there is so much happening on screen so I engaged in friendly fire more than I'd like to admit. The music is good. The story and character work is bare bones. I can't say I'm a big fan but I would be willing to give some other games in the series a shot. Do a barrel roll.

Score: 6/10

Both SNES games have aged horribly, I wish they got 60fps remasters or something because it'd go a long way towards making them feel... well, playable. The first one maybe still qualifies as a playable game, borderline, but Star Fox 2 is just painful, a shame because it's a pretty interesting game in its own right.

If you want more from the series, you have to try Star Fox 64. It's the only game in the franchise that didn't either age poorly, or was poor to begin with (or both). It's by far the most memorable and iconic one, filled with quotable lines everywhere, great levels and moments that stick with you, story isn't exactly deep but it has just enough to give these characters an extra layer, to make you care. It's the quintessential Star Fox game, really. And it's super fun to play, and replay, and replay over and over, what with its multiple routes and endings and such.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Signalstar said:

Just Finished: Star Fox (NSO)

I have never played a Star Fox game so I guess the original is the best place to start. Fox is one of my favorite characters in Smash Bros though I really did not know much about him as a character or his games. I played on Switch in handheld mode. I realize it is an early #D console game and for the time it must have been a technological marvel on SNES. Obviously the graphics haven't aged well and quite frankly neither has the game as a whole. I played with analog controls which probably made things smoother. I had to find a control scheme that I found comfortable. This is an on-rails shooter which I don't usually play outside of arcade settings. I had to get used to not being in full control of movement. The hit detection seems iffy especially for one annoying boss fight in particular. I can't deny that the core gameplay loop is enjoyable thought. Doing a barrel roll is quite satisfying. It took me about 4 hours to complete the game on all three routes. I finally understand some of the series references in Smash Bros now. Some obstacles and projectiles are hard to avoid and it can be difficult to know where you should aim to defeat certain enemies. This game is like Fire Emblem in the sense that if your support characters die they stay dead, which is a neat feature but it can be tricky to tell them apart from enemies when there is so much happening on screen so I engaged in friendly fire more than I'd like to admit. The music is good. The story and character work is bare bones. I can't say I'm a big fan but I would be willing to give some other games in the series a shot. Do a barrel roll.

Score: 6/10

Both SNES games have aged horribly, I wish they got 60fps remasters or something because it'd go a long way towards making them feel... well, playable. The first one maybe still qualifies as a playable game, borderline, but Star Fox 2 is just painful, a shame because it's a pretty interesting game in its own right.

If you want more from the series, you have to try Star Fox 64. It's the only game in the franchise that didn't either age poorly, or was poor to begin with (or both). It's by far the most memorable and iconic one, filled with quotable lines everywhere, great levels and moments that stick with you, story isn't exactly deep but it has just enough to give these characters an extra layer, to make you care. It's the quintessential Star Fox game, really. And it's super fun to play, and replay, and replay over and over, what with its multiple routes and endings and such.

I have Star Fox 64 3D on my radar for 3DS. It seems that a new copy is going for $50 online. I have also seen it for $40 used without the case. It is unfortunate because the game was part of the Nintendo Selects line to boot.

I firmly believe that buying Nintendo games physically when they are new is a sound investment strategy. You will just end up paying more if you wait until later.

I managed to buy all of the DS and 3DS Zelda games except Tri-Force Heroes without paying too much over MSRP though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

ah updated list

Completed

1. Nobody Saves the World - 1,000G
2. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - 1,000G
3. Eiyuden Chronicles: Rising  - 1,000G
4. High on Life - 1,000G
5. Spongebob SquarePants: The Cosmic Shake - 1,000G

DLC

1. Dying Light 2: Bloody Ties

Games I'm currently working on

- Final Fantasy XV: Pocket Edition
- Merge & Blade

Ongoing games I need to stop playing

- Sea of Thieves 
- Halo Infinite

Finished

• Chained Echoes
  • God of War: Ragnarök
  • Metroid Prime Remastered (Sooooooo good still)

Current

• Returnal

Need to get back to them

• Crisis Core - Final Fantasy VII: Reunion
  • Bayonetta 3
  • Rogue Legacy 2

Finally caved in and got myself Playstation Plus Extra, there's so many games available to me now! This is going to be hell for the backlog.

Signature goes here!

I can now have Splatoon 3 and GoldenEye on my list. ^^

Around the Network

2023 Soulstice

i have a back catalog to finish sigh.. being an adult sucks lol

Just Finished: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5)

Another game starring a furry hero in outer space. This is the best looking game with cartoony graphics that I have ever seen. This was the first game I've played that felt like a true generational leap forward. At times my jaw literally dropped as I stopped to appreciate just how beautiful the visuals are. I played in performance mode and the gameplay was buttery smooth. Jumping through the rifts is a novel gimmick that makes the best out of the PS5's SSD speed. Rivet and Kit are great new characters and come off as more than just female counterparts of are main heroes. I can't say that I miss the space flight shooting segments, though I did enjoy them in past games and they did add to the gameplay variety. The Glitch segments fill a similar hole though. The story is deeper than those that came before and is a nice continuation of the series' narrative so far. The humor is still entertaining. The level design feels more expansive even though it is still linear. Using the different weapons is still satisfying. It doesn't make sense that Ratchet and Rivet would have the same weapon inventory at the same time. The Clank puzzle segments are a welcome change of pace and made me use my brain but without being too frustrating. The set pieces are bigger and excellent on the scale of other PS exclusives such as Uncharted, The Last of Us, Horizon, etc. I have to admit this is the best Ratchet singleplayer campaign to date. It is amazing that Insomniac was able to pull this off so soon after Miles Morales. I still miss the multiplayer modes a la Up Your Arsenal. I'm glad this series has continued to evolve and that Insomniac and Sony are nurturing these icons. I hope the sales have continued to grow since the last announcement because 1.4 million is not enough for such a gem.

Score: 9/10

Full Completed 2023 List:

• Super Mario World (NSO)
  • Star Fox (NSO)
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5)
Last edited by Signalstar - on 11 March 2023

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

FINISHED:

Castlevania: Bloodlines (1/17)
Super Paper Mario (1/29)
Hi-Fi Rush (2/11)
Metal Gear Solid 2 (2/12)
Xenoblade Chronicles: Future Connected (2/21)

REPLAYS:

Metal Gear Solid (2/4)
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (2/10)
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition (2/17)
Metroid Prime Remastered (3/12)

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

One new game to add this time.

Finished Games:

1. Monster Hunter World (+Iceborne) (PS4) My rating: 9/10
    • I spent roughly 150 hours playing through MHW, and I never once got tired of hunting monsters and trying to find more materials to craft new weapons and armor. I'm not sure what else I can say. Very few games can hold my interest for such a long time. An excellent game, and without question the best game in the series I've played.
  2. Superhot (PS4) My rating: 8/10
    • A fun puzzle game with a unique gimmick and a clever twist to its story. 
  3. Control (PS4) My rating: 9 / 10
    • Remedy's best game so far. I love the setting, story, characters, and gameplay. The developer has created a world that is wonderfully twisted in various small ways, leading to a constant sense of unease as nothing feels completely right, from the way characters act to the Oldest House itself. With two very good DLC releases as well, Control turned out to be one of the better games I've played in a while. In terms of complaints, the Hiss end up becoming slightly dull as enemies by the end of the game, and the upgrade and mod systems don't feel as impactful as I'd like. Regardless, this is an excellent game.
  4. Katamari Damacy REROLL (Switch) My rating: 8.5 / 10
    • A wonderful game to just lean back and relax for a while. Something delightfully cathartic to just roll everything in sight into a giant rolling ball of destruction. It's an utterly silly game, but the only other option would be sheer horror, so it's perfect.
  5. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PC) My rating: 8.5 / 10
    • Been on a really good roll when it comes to video games lately, and Senua's Sacrifice was another great game to add to the list. Ninja Theory have long been one of my favourite developers, but I didn't get around to this game until now for whatever reason. Still, I'm glad I finally did because it's great. The story is well-told and intriguing, but the true star here is Senua herself and her characterization as a person losing her grip on reality and suffering from psychosis. Melina Juergens does an exceptional job in the lead role. It's genuinely one of the best performances I've ever seen in a video game. I also love how the environment adds to this sense of lost control, as it shifts around Senua and makes her see things that might not actually be there. The puzzles where the player has to find patterns in the environment or align certain parts of it are also fitting considering Senua as a character. The weakest aspect of the game is definitely the combat, which while fun in small doses, gets really repetitive after a while, and fighting more than one enemy at a time can be exceptionally frustrating. That's the one aspect I hope the sequel improves upon.
  6. Cadence of Hyrule (Switch) My Rating: 8 / 10
    • A fun, rhythm action game with a few shortcomings that keep if from true greatness. The Hyrule setting is great, and the gameplay is a lot of fun once you get accustomed to it. I played the game through with my wife in co-op, and for the most part it's a great for that. There are a few battles that feel a bit unfair in co-op, but otherwise no issues with the game.
  7. Cosmic Star Heroine (PC) My Rating: 7.5 / 10
    • Basically a tribute to classic SNES era JRPGs with some modern concessions. The battle system is fast-paced and fun, the story moves at a very brisk pace, and the characters are instantly identifiable as separate people. However, the pace of the story is bit too fast, as very few moments get time to breathe, and as a result end up lacking in impact. It also leaves many of the characters woefully underdeveloped. The game could have taken a little more time to let the story develop. Now, even after doing most of the sidequests, I finished the game in little over 10 hours. It could have used just a few more hours for its story. Still, this is a fun game that definitely doesn't overstay its welcome.
  8. Super Mario RPG (SNES) My Rating: 7.5 / 10
    • I had never actually finished Super Mario RPG before. I had played the very beginning a long time ago on an emulator, but I figured that since I have the SNES classic I should finally get around to playing it properly. I did, and it's good. It's a simple, lighthearted, RPG with a nice, quirky sense of humour and an enjoyable battle system. Not among the console's (or Square's) finest RPGs, but a thoroughly fun time regardless.

Actively Playing:

• Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout (PS4)

Games in Queue:

• Persona 5 Royal
  • The Witcher-trilogy
  • Nier: Replicant
  • Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age
  • Tales of Vesperia
  • Yakuza Kiwami
  • Kingdom Hearts III
  • The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero
  • Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir 
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses