By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (Rumor) Nintendo discarded "Switch Pro"

Do you believe a mid-gen upgrade for Switch will happen?

Yes, this rumor is wrong. 10 20.83%

No, this rumor is accurate 38 79.17%

Total:48
Pemalite said:
Chrkeller said:

I guess where I am confused is you claim it is a "need" because it would fit your "want."  I want it as well, and I agree with your perspective, but 'need' is simply the wrong verbiage.  Pokemon for you, based on want, is unplayable.  Meanwhile it is selling millions...  thus it doesn't 'need' anything.  We can want all day.  But a want doesn't equate to a need.  The Switch doesn't need an upgrade.  It is selling incredibly well as is the software.  I do think in a few years it will need an upgrade, because sales are dropping.  But for now, nah Nintendo is doing just fine and people can continue to want something Nintendo is not going to deliver.  

No. It's a need. The Switch needs better hardware to run games properly... Pokemon is the latest example.

Pokemon selling millions, doesn't mean it was not a technical failure on every front, I suggest you watch the digital foundry video on this... Better hardware would rectify the games technical shortcomings.

But if we are going to delve into this rhetoric... It could be argued that no one actually needs a gaming console when the PC exists.

Sales is actually irrelevant.

Runs fine.  My kids love it and haven't complained once.  The switch can't run pokemon to the level of your want.  This isn't that difficult. CLEARLY the average gamer doesn't care about technical performance, or the switch wouldn't be so successful.  Technical performance is a want by core gamers.  It isn't a need because the masses don't care.  

Could you imagine if I said all cars need 400 horsepower to go 0 to 60 in 4 seconds, and any car that doesn't is a technical failure?  And proceeded to play that off as a fact that everyone has to accept and agree too?

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 05 January 2023

Around the Network
Fight-the-Streets said:

It is interesting to note that Valve said they were surprised that the most expensive variant of the Steam Deck is the one that's selling best. They expected that the cheapest variant would sell best. I expected the same (not sure if in the meantime it's still the most expensive variant that's selling best). In any case, it shows that we live in an age where people like premium products and they are willing to pay high prices for them. Sure, Steam Deck is a handheld/hybrid PC, so the PC-folks were always conditioned to pay a lot for their hobby. But as the average age of Nintendo players raised significantly in this generation I think there are a lot of people who would buy a Switch Pro for a premium price, many of them double-dippers who already own a Switch.

I think it’s possible that Nintendo’s internal data shows that people are willing to buy the more expensive models. The Switch OLED ($350) is selling better than the Switch Lite ($250) at this time, I believe. Whether Nintendo can hit that sweet spot for the successor remains to be seen.

Remember, before the OG Switch launched, the previous president, Kimishima, mentioned that the Switch would not sell at a loss. And back then, people were mixed on the Switch’s launch price of $300, in a market where there was already PS4 Slim and Xbox One S at cheaper price points and more powerful than the Switch at the time. Even the OG PS4 was selling below $300 during the holidays if my memory recalls.

Im not sure what the successor (based on the rumors/leaks) can be priced at that’s considered acceptable to the market. Not to mention, would Nintendo now be ok with a little more risk in terms of losing money on the console initially under Furukawa? It’ll be interesting to see.

Switch has plenty of 30 and 40 year old gamers so yeah those people with likely more disposable income that kids, teens, college students, and people just out of college, are going to be all over premium products like the OLED and very willing to pay more for them. The Lite is good for parents that have multiple kids who each want to be able to play at the same time, and also for some cultures like Japan where lots of people only game handheld. But in general most people want the hybrid models over the handheld-only model.

For Switch 2 I think $350 is most likely, cuz I mean the OLED is $350 so I doubt Swtich 2 will come in at less than that.
What will be interesting is what they do with the Switch when the successor launches. Are they gonna drop the price of the Switch to like $150/$220/$270 or something to differentiate the old system from the next-gen?? Or will they just pretty much stop manufacturing the Switch right when the successor comes out so that the similarly priced Switch OG and Switch OLED start getting rare very quickly so only the Switch 2 is on store shelves, along with maybe a few Switch Lites since Switch Lite would be a whole different price point than Switch 2, for those wanting to pick up a cheap Switch at the end of its lifecycle.

I don't think there is any way Nintendo does like a $400 price point, but $300 feels unlikely as well just because Switch and OLED are still selling at $300 and $350. Even if those two models get a $50 price drop in say 2024, it would be very strange if a successor system came out at the same price point ($300) as the previous gen system costs at the same time. I think it'd be nice to see $350 launch, and then actually drop the price to $300 after a like three years, and then do a premium Switch 2 at $350 like the OLED.

I think $399.99 is definitely happening. Nintendo's not going to give away a full generation upgrade for the same price as the existing OLED model.

It's 202x too ... $400 is not what it used to be.

Chrkeller said:

Runs fine.  My kids love it and haven't complained once.  The switch can't run pokemon to the level of your want.  This isn't that difficult. CLEARLY the average gamer doesn't care about technical performance, or the switch wouldn't be so successful.  Technical performance is a want by core gamers.  It isn't a need because the masses don't care.  

Could you imagine if I said all cars need 400 horsepower to go 0 to 60 in 4 seconds, and any car that doesn't is a technical failure?  And proceeded to play that off as a fact that everyone has to accept and agree too?

No. It's objectively bad. - You just have low standards, unless you are asserting that Digital Foundry are telling lies?
I suggest you watch the digital foundry video that breaks down all the performance and technical issues.
Here it is again:

As for your car analogy... It's incorrect.
With the Switch I am not suggesting it needs to be identical to all other cars on the market like the Series X and Playstation 5, heck even older cars like the Xbox One and Playstation 4.. And that it's inability to go to 0 to 60 in 4 seconds somehow makes it "bad".

I have no issue with the Switch's current performance, provided games run perfectly fine on them.

It would be more like having a little Toyota Camry, 4 cylinder. - But the issue is, when you reach legal highway speeds, regardless of how long it takes you to get there, the steering starts to shake and wobble and the vehicle starts to feel "unsafe" at it's "rated" speed... And that is where a newer model can resolve those issues.

We are consumers, we are handing cash over for these products, we should demand and expect the best possible product, not give excuses... You are only damaging the consumers position. - And for what?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

I'm not really getting why this is an argument since it's not an either or thing. Both poor optimization and the weak hardware of the Switch are factors in the poor performance of Pokemon SV. The more power there is the less poor optimization will lead to performance that bad.

Chrkeller said:

There's been a ton of criticism towards the performance though since it runs badly even for Switch and Pokemon standards. The average gamer does care about technical performance, Pokemon is just too strong of a brand for it to hamper sales to a notable degree without it being literally broken and they care more about there being a stable framerate and no hitches than the fps being high. 

Bring a Nintendo Switch Pro in early 2023 and a Switch 2 in 2025. I don't think the people who will buy the Switch Pro will be upset when the Switch 2 (for a slightly higher price) will come out. Many of them will buy the Switch 2 later on down the road anyway. I honestly don't think it will harm the Switch 2 except that first year sales will be a bit lower but they will catch up in later years.

Make Nintendo Switch Great Again!

Everyone has their own technical standards; some may find the Switch itself simply too weak to deliver satisfactory results, while others like myself are quite happy with what it can achieve.
I feel like Pokemon though is a case where it simply doesn't live up to the standards of the hardware it's running on, and I don't think it's unreasonable to want a first party Switch game to at least hit a stable 30fps or look better than games released on the Wii U a decade prior.

A lot of people still clearly enjoy it, but it'd be nice for everyone if it was more polished.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 05 January 2023

Nah. Switch 2 in March/April 2024.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Pemalite said:
Chrkeller said:

No. It's objectively bad. - You just have low standards, unless you are asserting that Digital Foundry are telling lies?
I suggest you watch the digital foundry video that breaks down all the performance and technical issues.
Here it is again:

As for your car analogy... It's incorrect.
With the Switch I am not suggesting it needs to be identical to all other cars on the market like the Series X and Playstation 5, heck even older cars like the Xbox One and Playstation 4.. And that it's inability to go to 0 to 60 in 4 seconds somehow makes it "bad".

I have no issue with the Switch's current performance, provided games run perfectly fine on them.

It would be more like having a little Toyota Camry, 4 cylinder. - But the issue is, when you reach legal highway speeds, regardless of how long it takes you to get there, the steering starts to shake and wobble and the vehicle starts to feel "unsafe" at it's "rated" speed... And that is where a newer model can resolve those issues.

We are consumers, we are handing cash over for these products, we should demand and expect the best possible product, not give excuses... You are only damaging the consumers position. - And for what?

My kids love the game and don't have a problem with pokemon.  Just because you find it to be a problem doesn't mean others do.  You seemingly can't figure out the difference between opinion and fact.  

I'm not giving excuses but speaking reality.  The funny thing is this all started when I said Nintendo doesn't need to do anything because clearly consumers don't care....  and here you are saying consumers dictate the market....  thank for saying what I said pages ago.  It isn't a need because consumers have decided it isn't.  

The only time a company needs to do anything is when consumers make them do as such.  Look at sales, consumers are not making the need.  Hence you have a want....  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 05 January 2023