By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (Rumor) Nintendo discarded "Switch Pro"

Do you believe a mid-gen upgrade for Switch will happen?

Yes, this rumor is wrong. 10 20.83%

No, this rumor is accurate 38 79.17%

Total:48
Chrkeller said:

I guess where I am confused is you claim it is a "need" because it would fit your "want."  I want it as well, and I agree with your perspective, but 'need' is simply the wrong verbiage.  Pokemon for you, based on want, is unplayable.  Meanwhile it is selling millions...  thus it doesn't 'need' anything.  We can want all day.  But a want doesn't equate to a need.  The Switch doesn't need an upgrade.  It is selling incredibly well as is the software.  I do think in a few years it will need an upgrade, because sales are dropping.  But for now, nah Nintendo is doing just fine and people can continue to want something Nintendo is not going to deliver.  

No. It's a need. The Switch needs better hardware to run games properly... Pokemon is the latest example.

Pokemon selling millions, doesn't mean it was not a technical failure on every front, I suggest you watch the digital foundry video on this... Better hardware would rectify the games technical shortcomings.

But if we are going to delve into this rhetoric... It could be argued that no one actually needs a gaming console when the PC exists.

Sales is actually irrelevant.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:
Kakadu18 said:

I mean we kinda know what happened to it.

Yes we do. I think the MP4 announcement was important at the time and I still don’t consider it a big mistake from Nintendo. They at least made clear that they were hoping to cater to core audiences with the Switch, which they have done. 

I do think, though, that Nintendo learned a lesson from this (as well as BOTW2) and they won’t be giving us too many distant looks into the future. 

TotK's announcement in 2019 boosted BotW's sales significantly and extended it's legs beyond what they would have otherwise been. I think that early announcement was a good call. For direct sequels an early announcement can be a good idea.

Nintendo themselves said in a QA of a past Quarterly Report (I think it was the answer to a question if Nintendo should become a streaming service and basically discard consoles) that even from a very basic business point of view it makes very much sense for them to continue developing and selling consoles because selling consoles makes them good money! So from that perspective it does make sense to bring out a Pro console. It can have a premium price in order for Nintendo to churn out a profit.

There are legitimate examples of games that push the limits of what the Switch can achieve, but I don't think Pokemon is one of them.
It looks practically a generation behind what the hardware has proven it is capable of in other games.

curl-6 said:

There are legitimate examples of games that push the limits of what the Switch can achieve, but I don't think Pokemon is one of them.
It looks practically a generation behind what the hardware has proven it is capable of in other games.

Correct.
However the game is done and dusted and in the market now... So a newer model Switch with beefier hardware would allow the game to run far far far better.

And this game isn't the only game to be released in such a terrible state, there is a substantial list of titles where performance and/or resolution just was not up to snuff... And would be rectified with a higher performant variant of the Switch console.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

Correct.
However the game is done and dusted and in the market now... So a newer model Switch with beefier hardware would allow the game to run far far far better.

And this game isn't the only game to be released in such a terrible state, there is a substantial list of titles where performance and/or resolution just was not up to snuff... And would be rectified with a higher performant variant of the Switch console.

But that doesn't mean Pokémon S/V is being held back by the hardware. A more powerful model would just rectify some of the poor optimisation.

Kakadu18 said:
Pemalite said:

Correct.

But that doesn't mean Pokémon S/V is being held back by the hardware. A more powerful model would just rectify some of the poor optimisation.

The current state of Pokemon Scarlet/Violet is held back by hardware. - It can do with more optimization, to make it more palatable for the current hardware however.

But in the end, you are correct. A more powerful model would make up for the poor optimization, which will likely never be perfect anyway on current hardware, why should they? Game sold well.

Honestly, if we didn't know any better, I swear Scarlett/Violet is what most would've expect for the game to look like if it was made for the WiiU.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:

Honestly, if we didn't know any better, I swear Scarlett/Violet is what most would've expect for the game to look like if it was made for the WiiU.

Honestly, I think you're being too kind, even by Wii U standards it looks dreadful. I mean, look at Xenoblade Chronicles X on Wii U:

Last edited by curl-6 - on 04 January 2023

It is interesting to note that Valve said they were surprised that the most expensive variant of the Steam Deck is the one that's selling best. They expected that the cheapest variant would sell best. I expected the same (not sure if in the meantime it's still the most expensive variant that's selling best). In any case, it shows that we live in an age where people like premium products and they are willing to pay high prices for them. Sure, Steam Deck is a handheld/hybrid PC, so the PC-folks were always conditioned to pay a lot for their hobby. But as the average age of Nintendo players raised significantly in this generation I think there are a lot of people who would buy a Switch Pro for a premium price, many of them double-dippers who already own a Switch.