By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U vs PS3, best debut HD system?

Which was better?

Wii U 11 20.75%

PS3 42 79.25%

Total:53

The worst home consoles of both, but well, every Sony system released was top tier except the Vita, PS3 is no exception. It has many iconic and industry-breaking games like Skyrim, Portal, Assassins Creed, Red Dead Redemption, The Last of Us, GTA V, Batman Arkham City, and of course the most important game released in that generation: Demon Souls

The PS3 basically shaped how the gaming landscape looks until today, it's the second most important piece of gaming hardware released in the last 20 years, the first being its generation brother Xbox 360 

Wii U has some good but extremely forgettable and uninspired games that nobody would care for their existence if not released on Switch years later. The only games on Wii U that I would include on the same hall I've just listed on PS3 would be Splatoon, Mario Maker and Zelda BOTW, those games are innovative, fun and have a distinct feeling of "This is HD Nintendo" rather than just an iterative game release to fill a year line up.  

The controller was clunky as hell the concept was idiotic and unintuitive. The Hardware was ugly and this time the gimmick just didn't make any significant enhance for the games. The system has a severe lack of genres, even some Nintendo franchises were absent like Fire Emblem. 

The only positive thing to say about Wii U is it makes Switch's existence possible.

I'd give a PS3 a 4/5 stars and Wii U a 2/5 stars

Around the Network

Vita is Amazing and the BOTW world is not as good as it is without Xenoblade X happening.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

snyps said:

I barely played PS3; I played A LOT of Wii U. But PS3 sold 100 million.

If I was on a desert island and could only have ps3 or Wii U, I’d pick ps3 as long as I could use a 3rd party controller 

The PS3 did not sell 100mil.

The one with Breath of the Wild, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Bayonetta 2, Splatoon, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, Wii backwards compatibility and N64/NDS/GBA Virtual Console.

The PS3 had an inmense library, but I never cared for most of it. The PS3 lacked most of the great things I loved in the PS2 era. On contrast, for a Nintendo fan... Wii U delivered, despite its flaws and its short lifespan.

I can technically prefer the WiiU but the PS3 was beyond bounds and leaps over the WiiU even at the end of it's life when it gave so much first party bangers where the WiiU truly had at best 1 year n half of consistent 1st party software that gave us a slew of content, now mostly ported on Switch.

At least for now I know I can go back to it to play one of the most impressive open world rpg of it's generation with Xenoblade Chronicles X but that's about it.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

It's a shame my original one bricked on me. The replacement doesn't have BC nor the SD card reader :(

Same situation for me.  I had a lovely 60gb fat PS3.  It was fantastic for PS2 games, so I stupidly sold my PS2. It eventually started having graphical glitches.  Was forced to get a version 3, devoid of the PS2 BC that I used all the time. I was forced to use PS2 emulation for a while in order to play the games I owned.  I eventually got a CRT again and another PS2 and now all is right with the world.

Anyways, for the question at hand, I'm a Nintendo guy, but the Wii U has zero chance against the PS3. So much wasted potential, and so few games. That being said, the 7th generation ushered in an era of the "big budget triple A" gaming trend that killed off a lot of the AA and smaller games for a while, in addition to majorly increasing development times and a lack of experimentation in that chase for graphics.  I look back on that generation negatively because of it.

Didn't even have to think about this. PS3 easily. It has several quality exclusive games some that still haven't been ported to modern systems and it also had great third party support. The Switch pretty much makes the Wii U redundant. I can only think of like 2 games maybe that are worth getting this system for.

PS3 without question

CladInShadows said:
SvennoJ said:

It's a shame my original one bricked on me. The replacement doesn't have BC nor the SD card reader :(

Same situation for me.  I had a lovely 60gb fat PS3.  It was fantastic for PS2 games, so I stupidly sold my PS2. It eventually started having graphical glitches.  Was forced to get a version 3, devoid of the PS2 BC that I used all the time. I was forced to use PS2 emulation for a while in order to play the games I owned.  I eventually got a CRT again and another PS2 and now all is right with the world.

Anyways, for the question at hand, I'm a Nintendo guy, but the Wii U has zero chance against the PS3. So much wasted potential, and so few games. That being said, the 7th generation ushered in an era of the "big budget triple A" gaming trend that killed off a lot of the AA and smaller games for a while, in addition to majorly increasing development times and a lack of experimentation in that chase for graphics.  I look back on that generation negatively because of it.

Of all the consoles I would buy a retro / remake PS3 day one. That is, if it has all the original features but now with a 512GB SSD. I still use mine to play CDs and have all my favorite music videos stored on it from before you tube added commercials. (ps3 youtube let you download videos, got a lot stored on it, ad free. Now a lot of those videos have been scrubbed of certain songs on you tube and have ad interruptions :/)

I also look back on that generation as the last one where we still had proper A and AA games. So many games died in that generation but we also got a great start on indie games.

While most of the Wii U's top games are on Switch, much the same goes for the PS3/PS4 to be honest.
Both have some gems that never made it over; Puppeteer, Resistance and Killzone on PS3, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Yoshi's Woolly World, and Splatoon on Wii U.