By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U vs PS3, best debut HD system?

Which was better?

Wii U 11 20.75%

PS3 42 79.25%

Total:53
curl-6 said:

While most of the Wii U's top games are on Switch, much the same goes for the PS3/PS4 to be honest.
Both have some gems that never made it over; Puppeteer, Resistance and Killzone on PS3, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Yoshi's Woolly World, and Splatoon on Wii U.

Nah like most my PS3 games are still only on PS3.  Switch mainly just needs 3 games to complete the last good exclusives on Wii U to cross over. HD Zelda's and Xenoblade X.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:
curl-6 said:

While most of the Wii U's top games are on Switch, much the same goes for the PS3/PS4 to be honest.
Both have some gems that never made it over; Puppeteer, Resistance and Killzone on PS3, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Yoshi's Woolly World, and Splatoon on Wii U.

Nah like most my PS3 games are still only on PS3.  Switch mainly just needs 3 games to complete the last good exclusives on Wii U to cross over. HD Zelda's and Xenoblade X.

Woolly World and Splatoon 1 are good games that never made the jump.

If I exclude all the games that got ported, my PS3 collection boils down to just Killzone 3, the Resistance trilogy, and Puppeteer.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 31 December 2022

CladInShadows said:
SvennoJ said:

It's a shame my original one bricked on me. The replacement doesn't have BC nor the SD card reader :(

Same situation for me.  I had a lovely 60gb fat PS3.  It was fantastic for PS2 games, so I stupidly sold my PS2. It eventually started having graphical glitches.  Was forced to get a version 3, devoid of the PS2 BC that I used all the time. I was forced to use PS2 emulation for a while in order to play the games I owned.  I eventually got a CRT again and another PS2 and now all is right with the world.

Anyways, for the question at hand, I'm a Nintendo guy, but the Wii U has zero chance against the PS3. So much wasted potential, and so few games. That being said, the 7th generation ushered in an era of the "big budget triple A" gaming trend that killed off a lot of the AA and smaller games for a while, in addition to majorly increasing development times and a lack of experimentation in that chase for graphics.  I look back on that generation negatively because of it.

I do as well. I enjoyed games like Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but 7th gen was a gaming desert at times for me. It was my least favorite generation since the Atari days ended. Things did start getting better once games like Xenoblade, Ni no Kuni, and Tales of Xillia started showing up, at least. 

I had a 60GB fatty as well, it died. I haven't bothered to replace it, because I can play most of the PS3 games I enjoyed, ironically enough, on Switch. And that includes Valkyria Chronicles, Ni no Kuni, and Bayonetta. I'm just not interested enough in the PS3 library to buy a non-BC PS3.

But hey, most of the Wii U games I cared about are also present and accounted for on Switch. Just give me XCX and the HD Zeldas and I'm good. And while I'm dreaming, I'd also like ports of the Fire Emblem Tellius games. 

Ayla said:
V-r0cK said:

This.

Never played a wii U, but the controller reminded me of something you see in the toys isle for little kids. I am just being honest, the controller was so ugly caused me at least to have zero interest in it. the PS3 i bought day 1 for MGS4 (got the bundle)

我是广州人

curl-6 said:
Jumpin said:

of all the Nintendo consoles I owned Wii U was my second least favourite (above Gamecube)

Always a pleasure to meet a fellow Gamecube disliker ;)

What? Come on.

While It's a fact that almost every big game on Gamecube has a superior version on Wii, I still think it was a nice console. I spend hours playing Luigi's Mansion, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Paper Mario TTYD, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker...

Around the Network
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
curl-6 said:

What? Come on.

While It's a fact that almost every big game on Gamecube has a superior version on Wii, I still think it was a nice console. I spend hours playing Luigi's Mansion, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Paper Mario TTYD, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker...

Even that's debatable. I preferred Twilight Princess and Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube over the Wii versions. Plus, the Gamecube had some pretty solid RPGs, which was pretty nice after the almost complete RPG desert that was the N64 (which was my least favorite Nintendo console). I have the "holy trinity" of Skies of Arcadia Legends, Tales of Symphonia, and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, and those games were as amazing as anything on PS2 save maybe for Dragon Quest VIII and Final Fantasy XII.

There were years when I played my Gamecube more than I did my PS2. But then again, I think I played Wii U more than the first couple of years of the PS4. 

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 03 January 2023

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
curl-6 said:

What? Come on.

I mean, to each their own, I'm certainly not saying you're wrong to love it.

The hardware was great, it's probably Nintendo's best system in terms of engineering, but for me the software missed the mark.

It had some gems like Metroid Prime 1 and 2, Twilight Princess, F-Zero GX and Resident Evil 4, but compared to other Nintendo systems, it had relatively few of them, with many series I usually love like 3D Mario, Donkey Kong, and Starfox turning out disappointing.

I'd place even the Wii U above it in terms of number of good/great games. 

Last edited by curl-6 - on 03 January 2023

curl-6 said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

What? Come on.

The hardware was great, it's probably Nintendo's best system in terms of engineering, but for me the software missed the mark.

It had some gems like Metroid Prime 1 and 2, Twilight Princess, F-Zero GX and Resident Evil 4, but compared to other Nintendo systems, it had relatively few of them, with many series I usually love like 3D Mario, Donkey Kong, and Starfox turning out disappointing.

:( To each their own indeed.

I dont think it is a fair one. The WOW factor was bigger on ps3.

Kakadu18 said:
curl-6 said:

:( To each their own indeed.

It's definitely a matter of personal taste, not saying it's objectively bad or anything.

Gamecube was actually the first console I bought with my own money; my parents got us an Xbox after the N64 and I always wanted the Nintendo one, so as soon as I could, I scooped one up.

I did have some good times with it; heck, RE4 is still my favourite game of all time. A lot of Nintendo's first party games though went in a direction that didn't appeal to me.