By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Head of Capcom R&D slams Sony's Sixaxis Controller

BenKenobi88 said:
Fine...I tried a brighter blue...but it looked stupid...

Atta boy!... So what's this thread about?

Edit: Ah hell, Use the purple. It gives us an elitest Mod colour to diferentiate ourselves from peasants. 

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

1. CD was invented by a german company, Sony just developed a game format CD for Nintendo and when the project was abandoned later utilized it for themselves.

2. Nintendo was the first to make the analog the standard. The first to have four controller ports. The first to have the D-Pad. The first to have an effective wireless controller. The first to have a motion sensing controller. The first to have rumble feature. First to have shoulder buttons. The first to have a left hand/right hand controller. First to have touch screen on handheld. First to have handheld/console connectivity. First to have a foot pad. First to have an effective light gun. etc.

Oh yeah, Nintendo was also the first to have Online with the SNES Sattelaview.

3. It's also nice to see Capcom calling it how it is.

4. And in regards to Sony copying the Motion sensing ability:

Andrew said:
Bodhesatva said:
akuma587 said:
So, Microsoft and Nintendo put rumble in their controllers after Sony did. Does that mean that they are unoriginal? Pointing fingers is kind of pointless. Wii-motes do motion-sensing better, no one will argue with you on that. The Sixaxis didn't have to sacrifice buttons, however, to have its motion-sensing. I mean really, Smash Brothers Brawl cannot even be played correctly on a Wii-mote. However good you think the Wii-mote is, it is not perfect. No hostility was intended, I think it is just kind of childish to blame companies for copying ideas when ALL of them do it.

Your first statement is false: Nintendo invented the Rumble Pack back in the N64 era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumble_pack

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_controller

Sony copied Nintendo by including the Rumble feature on the PS controllers.

Actually your false, he said put rumble in the controller not as an attachment.

Just thought you'd like to know

Haha, what an important distinction! You do put the rumble in the controller. Just so you know. How do you think you put the rumble pack in? By putting it in the controller. So you're wrong. Sorry. You lose. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Gballzack said:

1. CD was invented by a german company, Sony just developed a game format CD for Nintendo and when the project was abandoned later utilized it for themselves.

2. Nintendo was the first to make the analog the standard. The first to have four controller ports. The first to have the D-Pad. The first to have an effective wireless controller. The first to have a motion sensing controller. The first to have rumble feature. First to have shoulder buttons. The first to have a left hand/right hand controller. First to have touch screen on handheld. First to have handheld/console connectivity. First to have a foot pad. First to have an effective light gun. etc.

All major consoles starting with the Atari 2600 had online abilities even the NES could go online with a modem attatchment similiar to the SNES one.

KohlyKohl said:
Gballzack said:

All major consoles starting with the Atari 2600 had online abilities even the NES could go online with a modem attatchment similiar to the SNES one.

Yeah, suggesting that Nintendo is ahead of the curve with online capabilities is stretching it a bit much. I used to have my Genesis hooked up to the net :(

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network
Gballzack said:

Yeah, as a german I like german innovation. But the CD isn't one. Philips is actually from the Netherlands, not Germany. And Sony was partner in developing and marketing the CD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philips 

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

It annoys me a bit whenever people keep saying sony steal everything. Every video game company steals ideas from everyone else. More to the point.... does it even matter who did it first? It's who does it best that counts. Sega were the first people to use the analogue trigger/shoulder buttons (or at least make it popular). I'm not overly sure how much of an innovation having four controller ports is, it's just more of the same thing. Multi-taps were available before then, not to mention the genesis J-cart(name?) thing that added two controller ports on the cart. I'm thinking of micro machines here if anyone played it. We could say Sony did the microphone and Web cam first (even though they have been around for a long time). Be a bit like saying nintendo never steal ideas.... The gamecube controller looks more that a little similar to the Dual Shock don't you think?

Yes

In this case, it doesn't matter if it was copied. It matters if it works. And Capcom may yet change their minds when a game comes along and shows motion control that fits the sixaxis better than the Wiimote.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

i think most people are confused with innovation vs. creation. all technologies used in gaming were created before being implimented into gaming. (how else do you get it, duh) innovation is being the first to make such technology work. the first to impliment into gaming. the first to make it popular. not to bash sony, but it's rather obvious that they are following ninty's footsteps. that's my view on innovation. as for americans sueing everyone and their dead grandma... i will leave that to another thread :)

Silver_Z said:
souixan said:
Celb said:
People should get over this Nintendo innovation hype. You think DS touch screen is innovation, i hope not. And they already got sued about the wii mote. Its damn near impossible to make something that some one has not "kinda" done already and patented.

It's difficult to make something completly new yes, but it is an innovation to use it in ways people haven't before. How many game systems do you know of with a wii remote like function pre Wii? How many GAME systems do you know with a touch screen before DS. How many game systems do you know with battery backed up save states before NES? The thing is YES these items all existed and had potential before nintendo did them, but they were never used in the way nintendo had. That IS innovation, sorry.

Main Entry: in·no·va·tion
Function: noun
Pronunciation: "i-n&-'vA-sh&n
1 : the introduction of something new
2 : a new idea, method, or device : NOVELTY
- in·no·va·tion·al /-shn&l, -sh&-n & l/ adjective

That's from Merriam Websters. the idea doesn't need to be completly new it can be a method for an existing item. Fail..

Dude... You are over-doing it. Nintendo has a fair share of innovation[period] Stop using rubbish facts to make Nintendo the King. I was playing game on my palm way before DS came. Just coz they put the touch-screen to better gaming doesnt mean they innovated it. Using your kinda argument, PS2 innovated rumble, coz most of their games work with the rumblepack(N64 games didint fully support Rumblepack, I only know of Starfox). This is pure crap from a fanboi!

Never said you didn't play games before the DS with a touch screen, what I did say is no -game- system had this feature untill the DS and with that I'm correct. I know of pleanty devices with touch screens pre DS for MANY a year from palm pilots to an endless string of other items. I don't know of any company that thought to use it exvlusivly for games however. Also Starfox was indeed the game it was invented for but other games did use it, the Ocarina of Time to a lesser extent. It was used it just wasn't a standard so developers ignored it. Again Nintendo had to prove it was a viable option, regardless of if Sony had it standard or not first Nintendo initially came out with it. It's not fanboy you just took my words the wrong way.

To finish up, it would be an innovation to use it in most of your games, if the games were first party, to that effect at best it wasn't Sony's idea they just encouraged it along. In addition the Starf fox game with the rumble pack so to that effect if you want to argue star fox the only game that used it, then it was pretty much standard if you ask me. It was a good idea to use it standard but that's just cutting the fat off the production, not so much thinking up a new idea.