By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Head of Capcom R&D slams Sony's Sixaxis Controller

Dunno, the source (VGA), just says there was some interview on Gamer.TV or something :/

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

Around the Network
windbane said:
I don't care if Sony copies every controller idea from other people. IMO, they have had the best available controller since the dual shock, and they keep incrementally improving it. Nintendo stabbed Sony in the back, then didn't go with Phillips' cd drive either, then sucked it up with the N64 hardware and then the gamecube. Nintendo has been very much against online, too, so they are now copying microsoft who btw copied everyone that makes PC games. Who cares. MORE IMPORTANTLY, I HAVE YET TO SEE THE REAL QUOTE FROM CAPCOM.

I really dislike the Dual Shock controller (and the Dual Shock two) because it is a tiny controller, two shoulder buttons doesn't work well at all, the left stick is in the wrong position and gives thumb cramps if you play for too long, the face buttons are not distinct from eachother and are labeled poorly (using geometric shapes rather than letters and numbers means that you can't even imply the position of a button from its name).

All of these problems (except for second shoulder button; Z is useless) were corrected by the Gamecube controller and the only disadvantage the Gamecube's controller has is that the non-uniform button layout limits the number of button combinations you can do.

I liked elements of the XBox controller (hiddent button's under the sticks) and have heard that the XBox 360's controller is an improvement over the Gamecube's in many/most ways.

So far I have loved Xbox's controllers, especially The Duke. The 360's controller is as near perfect a traditional controller design as you can get. Using bumpers and triggers is a huge improvement over 4 shoulder buttons which made playing MvC2 a nightmare. The Max controller completely ruled, I have 4 of them somewhere. One other thing I don't think anyone mentioned is, as far as I know Nintendo was the first to use two screens, unless you want to split hairs about the DC using VMU.

My 2 cents:

The 360 controller has one of the best designs...it's comfortable enough, and it uses plenty of buttons in a good arrangement.  Triggers and buttons on the shoulders work a lot better than the traditional R1/R2 style.

The GC controller is my favorite, cause it's so dang comfy.  The analog shoulder buttons are huge, allowing for more precise shoulder button moves ingame, and the two joysticks are big and well-placed.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

windbane said:
elprincipe said:

For all those crediting Sony for "grips" on the PS1 controller, have you never seen one of these?

There are others for NES and other systems that far predate PS1 as well...

Ohhh, ok. So Nintendo gets credit for analog even though they didn't invent it, but Sony doesn't get credit for grips?

Great.

Excuse me, but I don't know how much of this thread you have read...I was the one who pointed out Nintendo did not invent the analog stick.  Neither did Sony invent "grips" on the controller.  And Nintendo didn't invent motion-sensing controllers.  We could go on, of course, but the main point is that I am merely inserting some facts to clarify for those who don't realize some things about the history surrounding this stuff.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

Around the Network
Gballzack said:

considering the N64's controller in no way looked like the PS1s, calling the prongs a coppied idea is just ludicrous, they're too different. Shoulder buttons are something concrete and tangible, they either are or they aren't there. The ergonomics and aesthetics of a controller is purely speculatory.

The Dreamcast controller was worse than the original Xbox controller, it was a pain to hold, the VMU was at best a Tomagotchi novelty and the controller cord came out of the bottom when it could have easily out out of the back at an angle.

There you are laughing at Sony fans, for justifying how right Sony was even when wrong. And you are no better, you are on the extreme other end. You are a Anti-Sony fan and will go all out just to hope Sony was wrong even when right. Well.... thats the balance to the equation I guess...

windowview said:
So far I have loved Xbox's controllers, especially The Duke. The 360's controller is as near perfect a traditional controller design as you can get. Using bumpers and triggers is a huge improvement over 4 shoulder buttons which made playing MvC2 a nightmare. The Max controller completely ruled, I have 4 of them somewhere. One other thing I don't think anyone mentioned is, as far as I know Nintendo was the first to use two screens, unless you want to split hairs about the DC using VMU.

VMU doesn't matter since Nintendo used two screens long before they came up with the DS.  Observe:

That is from 1982, and there are some earlier than that.  Link here if interested in reading more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_&_Watch 

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)