By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Turns 10 TODAY!

Did you own a Wii U?

Yes 73 81.11%

No 17 18.89%

Total:90

Got the ZombiU version at launch. Some great games on there. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, ZombiU, Rayman Legends, Lego City Undercover, Pikmin 3, Shovel Knight, DuckTales Remastered to name.......most of them.

Around the Network

S.Peelman said:

It's funny that two very low selling machines happen to be the ones I had since launch.

You know... I recently made a similar observation. Every generation since the NES, I have enjoyed the losing console more than the winning one. Genesis, N64, Dreamcast, Xbox 360, Wii U. I think it might have something to do with the fact that when a company is top dog, it tends to be because they went mainstream and thus, are less original, bland, more by-the-numbers. They also tend to get lazy halfway through the generation because they're winning, while the other guys are bending over backwards to blow our minds. 

Super Mario 3D World and New Super Mario/Luigi U are so darn good.

I never had a Wii U, though.

#BringBackMiiVerse

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

The Duel screen when used well was a treat, never see the like of it again

Around the Network

I miss miiverse

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)

I liked it more than the Wii honestly.

I felt like Mario Galaxy 1/2 were the really great Wii titles, but the rest of the lineup ... not so much.

Splatoon and Mario Maker were really great new franchises, Splatoon obviously blossoming into quite a phenomenon for Nintendo in Japan specifically. Mario 3D World wasn't quite as good as Galaxy, but it was pretty close. Bayonetta 2 was cool too. Mario Kart 8 versus Mario Kart Wii was a bit of a wash probably Mario Kart 8 takes that. DKC: Tropical Freeze was better than DKC Returns. NSMBU was better than NSMB Wii even though it was getting really bland by that point. Smash Wii U is better than Smash Brawl on Wii. For share/ported Zelda games, Zelda: BOTW is considerably better than Twilight Princess. 

The design/branding/look of the system was so bad though, lol. The tablet looked like a child's tablet instead of something sleek/cool looking and the system looked like a bland version of the Wii. It was an aesthetic disaster. 

The remote control functionality of the tablet was low-key a super cool feature. I would use the Wii U tablet as my default TV remote to flip through channels and what not, and when something would go to commercial I'd sometimes turn on a game (usually Virtual Console SNES games like F-Zero) to play on the tablet screen while waiting for the TV show/live sports to resume. 

Stuff like that was pretty clever actually but I felt like Nintendo made this product and Apple/smartphones/tablets basically started to do all this stuff too in a more attractive package and it kind of stole Nintendo's thunder. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 18 November 2022

I have about 60 physical games for it. Basically all the games that are decent in the library... Keep in mind that I am in Australia so we only had a tiny tiny tiny fraction of the physical titles actually released for the console.

It was the cheapest way to get Breath of the Wild on release day and play it without any Nintendo hardware, hence why I ended up as an owner.

It had some great titles, absolutely no doubt. But boy is the game library absolutely tiny... Which reflects it's install base I guess.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I remember getting mine at launch with New Super Mario Bros U. I put a lot of hours in. Great game. Not counting ports (the two HD Zelda games), my absolute favourite was Yoshi's Woolly World. Shame the battery in my gamepad is near dead.

KLXVER said:

(..) to name.......most of them.

Ouch lol.

JackHandy said:

S.Peelman said:

It's funny that two very low selling machines happen to be the ones I had since launch.

You know... I recently made a similar observation. Every generation since the NES, I have enjoyed the losing console more than the winning one. Genesis, N64, Dreamcast, Xbox 360, Wii U. I think it might have something to do with the fact that when a company is top dog, it tends to be because they went mainstream and thus, are less original, bland, more by-the-numbers. They also tend to get lazy halfway through the generation because they're winning, while the other guys are bending over backwards to blow our minds. 

For me it was because I was curious about features presented in Nintendoland (yes) and figured why not buy it right away, thinking great stuff would come later. I got the ZombiU version, because I thought black was cooler, and the 32GB would be good for something. The game itself didn't grab my attention. In the end, storage-wise, it turned out I also would've had enough with the 8GB one. Which can be considered a good thing actually, in a way. 'Fun stuff' indeed came every once in a while, but never 'great stuff' for my taste until Breath of the Wild when it was way too late, and WiiU became my least liked Nintendo console ever.

In Dreamcast's case, my stepfather got it for us on, I'm pretty sure launch day, because it was a huge jump over N64 and PS1 graphically and SoulCalibur was beyond anything. That console did have plenty of great stuff, especially considering its short life, and ending up being one of my favourite systems ever.