By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Around the Network

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Ryuu96 said:

This is true and it create games that I have grown to dislike.

Live service game cultivate players engagement so much with endless progress but same repetitive content and features that, after enjoying those for a few hours, they feel more like a second job than anything I enjoy anymore. Their competitive nature force you to invest so much of your time to cultivate your skills, which your ability to still create an enjoyable experience out of it depends on, that they have become tedious.

Enjoying 1 such game is ok but even then that single game create a situation where it's near impossible for me to enjoy another one.

I enjoy much more to play dozens of Pentiment or Brothers a tale of two sons or hi-fi rush experience than being stuck in a single 'Apex Legends' for years.

EpicRandy said:
Ryuu96 said:

Live service game cultivate players engagement so much with endless progress but same repetitive content and features that, after enjoying those for a few hours, they feel more like a second job than anything I enjoy anymore. Their competitive nature force you to invest so much of your time to cultivate your skills, which your ability to still create an enjoyable experience out of it depends on, that they have become tedious.

Enjoying 1 such game is ok but even then that single game create a situation where it's near impossible for me to enjoy another one.

I enjoy much more to play dozens of Pentiment or Brothers a tale of two sons or hi-fi rush experience than being stuck in a single 'Apex Legends' for years.

Same here. I put well over 2000 hours into Destiny 2 alone from 2017-2021. I would play another game every so often, but I always had the feeling in the back of my mind going "I really should finish grinding xxxxxx so that I won't be behind when next season starts"

Which was ironically the same way I thought when playing WoW back in the day, but it was to be leveled up for the next expansion. 

The only live service game I've played in recent years is Halo Infinite, but even then, it would be periodical rather than grinding it out. And I've come to enjoy this approach a lot more. Live services are a young mans game

EpicRandy said:
Ryuu96 said:

Yeah, that is exactly the thing. After Fortnite came to Switch I tried it and played it for a while. And it is a fine game, I had fun and played it for two months or so, but I realized that I stopped playing anything else as it sucked up my time completely. So I dropped it to be able to play other games instead. I think at this point every player except new ones has made the decision and either came out as constantly playing GaaS or going back to multiple separate games.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

NateDrake said:

I'm now of the belief that Starfield is not happening & the info spread around was pure fiction. I'll own the miss.

----

Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 09 February 2024

Ryuu96 said:

NateDrake said:

I'm now of the belief that Starfield is not happening & the info spread around was pure fiction. I'll own the miss.

----

Lol.

That one never made sense to me. Xbox made such a big deal about it's exclusivity, and it's not like it was a flop or something, it has sold probably 4m+ copies so far in almost 6 months (SteamSpy estimates 5m+ on Steam alone), and had reached 13m players by December. Sure it didn't move much hardware like Xbox hoped it would, but it's likely already profitable from first sales alone and likely drove some new Gamepass subs too, and still has DLC and big Steam/Xbox sale discounts and official mod support coming, all of which will drive decent to good legs. 

If Xbox is going to do multiplat releases on some games moving forward, I think they will mainly fall into one of these categories:

• Games where the developer wants to open up the game to more players (such as Pentiment)
  • Games which weren't as profitable as Xbox hoped, which Xbox hopes to make profitable 
  • Games that Xbox wants to make a sequel to, but wants to open them up to new players on other platforms first, so that fans of that port to other platforms might be more inclined to buy Xbox hardware or a PC next gen in order to play an Xbox ecosystem exclusive sequel
  • GaaS games
  • Games which are so old they aren't really moving copies or hardware any longer

Sounds like those at Xbox are surprised at how insane the rumors are lol. Really on them though to take their sweet time in addressing the rumors. Sure you don't expect them to respond to every single rumor that comes up, but this one you'd think would be big enough to address asap.

Imagine if it really is just Hi Fi and Sea of Thieves

"Honestly sounds like for the most part it's been a prime example of Chinese whispers or people just making shit up to capitalise off the hysteria. It will be interesting to see what is said because the rumours seem to be fueling decisions that might need more time in the oven so to speak."

Imagine if they were only planning SoT/HFR but the rumours cause MS to say fuck it and go all the way cause the damage is already done