By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

You mean I actually gotta plug the Xbox back in at some point? …fine, I s’pose.

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

Around the Network

The internet is wild. There was whining that evil MS will lock away all games. There was whining that evil MS is making everything multiplat. And evil MS had said long ago, that it is a 'case by case' basis.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Ryuu96 said:

Imo, the other unknown is Grounded.

Grounded going multiplat would be cool. This game deserves more players and more credit. I hope they are able to port it to Switch, I feel it could get more appreciation on Switch than on PS, there it would be seen as a cheap small game.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Ryuu96 said:

Grounded going multiplat would be cool. This game deserves more players and more credit. I hope they are able to port it to Switch, I feel it could get more appreciation on Switch than on PS, there it would be seen as a cheap small game.

Agreed. Grounded has been a big success but I feel like it may be close to its winding down point, however the team has said they want to keep working on it, I still think there's so many ideas they could put into the game but it would require a lot more resources and money, it may not be worth it with the current active player-base but PlayStation/Nintendo could pump a lot more new players into it.

Likewise with Sea of Thieves, it's such a fun game, it has been out for 6 years now, it's had a massive amount of players but it has probably reached saturation point for Xbox in terms of new players, it going fully multiplatform would only be a good thing for the population health and provide yet another huge boost to its player-base, means more support, longer support.

Also in Sea of Thieves case, it might get some re-reviews, Lol.

Pentiment would be nice simply cause it's a tiny passion project from Josh Sawyer.

Having said that, I think a Grounded 2/Sea of Thieves 2 could work in some fashion, maybe similar to Overwatch 2 where there simply updated the base game with a new Overwatch, so for example, Grounded 2 and Sea of Thieves 2 could be ported to Unreal Engine 5 and replace the current client whilst carrying over people's purchases, don't call them "2" though.

Sea of Thieves could be moved to Unreal Engine 5, it could be next to next-gen only, they could expand the world size, add more islands, allow more than 4 ships per world, they could add a new core story, they could add a central hub where players can gather in a non-PVP environment to just have fun together, crews meet up, challenge each other, play games with each other, etc. 

The Nassau of Sea of Thieves.

Grounded can be moved to Unreal Engine 5, it could expand to the house and we'll have a big backyard to explore and also an entire house, from the kitchen to the living room, to bedrooms and the basement. Maybe they could think up some PVP modes as well and they could expand the number of players allowed in the world, maybe go from 4 to 8.

Mnementh said:
Ryuu96 said:

For sure!Every multiplayer game should definitely get the multiplat treatment. Just launch it 1 or 2 years after XBOX/PC release and it's perfect. 
Really don't care about blizzard or activision games, but in order to ensure a great experience on Xbox and PC I'd release it later on ps5 not day one (except for COD, difinitely day one).

Around the Network
jason1637 said:

I don understand why MS just don let their plans materialize. They bought the studios and the games are progressing. Now let them release and if they’re good they’ll sell more consoles. Instead they start over because one game? Starfield was a success too being one of the top selling games last year and being on gamepass. One game alone instead going to move the needle, you need atleast 3 Starfields a year consistently. Plus they have steam and games like SoT and Forza have over 30m players. Whatever they do they need to be clear with the messaging or everyone will just assume everything’s timed.

Yes and no.  How many year do you believe it would take before MS can dent Sony marketshare.  The thing is most gamers just do not have the numbers but one thing is true, gamers rarely change systems just because of a few games.  It take years of multiple games in order for gamers to shift to another system.  What do you believe that MS has coming out compared to what Sony has coming out that will shift any decent amount of customers to MS Xbox over Sony.  I personally do not see anything.  Yes, MS has some very nice looking games coming but so does Sony.  If you are comparing what Sony is coming out exclusive compared to MS, there is nothing that I see that would shift sales MS way.  MS would need to consistently as you state multiple years hits on the level of Palworld in order to shift sales and to my knowledge there is nothing on the map that gives me the impression that will happen.

The thing is, MS bought these big publishers and they did the numbers and the numbers are not adding up because they needed to shift strategy.  No company just shift strategy on a whim, usually there are a lot of meetings on the subject and a lot of input on all the C level execs before making those moves.  While a lot of Xbox gamers were cheering the ABK move, we really do not know the full ripple effect of that purchase has on the organization.  You cannot look at both Bethesda and ABK IP without considering how they impact being on all platforms compared to the smaller installbase for the MS ecosystem.

It also could be that this is not a shift in business strategy but a designed shift if they were able to get ABK.  Meaning that MS already knew that getting ABK would mean that plan B needs to be put into gear towards another goal compared to plan A.  With ABK and Bethesda, including their own studios, MS is one of the biggest publishers in the industry now.  When you consider that, just limiting your games to one platform while it sounds great to people who cannot see the numbers, it might not actually make financial sense.  We know MS wants to be on everything, the case may be that as MS stated, the ABK purchase accelerated those plans for them to move faster towards that goal.

Mnementh said:

The internet is wild. There was whining that evil MS will lock away all games. There was whining that evil MS is making everything multiplat. And evil MS had said long ago, that it is a 'case by case' basis.

Yah this is really getting hilarious at this point.

This shows how toxic the gaming community can be... Basically anything Microsoft, people find a way to spin it as bad, no matter what.

You can see in the articles even on this website, comments from some people that are Sony fans... They are finding a way to spin this badly... Instead of enjoying the possibility of having more games on their platform, this is just nuts to me...

Last edited by Imaginedvl - on 07 February 2024

Mnementh said:
Ryuu96 said:

Yes that^

I mean, all the multiplayer games basically (other than the big Halo or stuff like that, maybe to keep a few exclusives), why not make them multiplatform and get the revenues for it? It makes so much sense, and I do not understand why people are unhappy about the idea or think this will be bad for Xbox... 

Also, with ALL studios, even if Microsoft makes FEW AAA coming out on another platform six months or a year later, they can definitely. Keep enough full "exclusive" with the number of games they have in development to be even with Sony. 

Machiavellian said:
jason1637 said:

I don understand why MS just don let their plans materialize. They bought the studios and the games are progressing. Now let them release and if they’re good they’ll sell more consoles. Instead they start over because one game? Starfield was a success too being one of the top selling games last year and being on gamepass. One game alone instead going to move the needle, you need atleast 3 Starfields a year consistently. Plus they have steam and games like SoT and Forza have over 30m players. Whatever they do they need to be clear with the messaging or everyone will just assume everything’s timed.

Yes and no.  How many year do you believe it would take before MS can dent Sony marketshare.  The thing is most gamers just do not have the numbers but one thing is true, gamers rarely change systems just because of a few games.  It take years of multiple games in order for gamers to shift to another system.  What do you believe that MS has coming out compared to what Sony has coming out that will shift any decent amount of customers to MS Xbox over Sony.  I personally do not see anything.  Yes, MS has some very nice looking games coming but so does Sony.  If you are comparing what Sony is coming out exclusive compared to MS, there is nothing that I see that would shift sales MS way.  MS would need to consistently as you state multiple years hits on the level of Palworld in order to shift sales and to my knowledge there is nothing on the map that gives me the impression that will happen.

The thing is, MS bought these big publishers and they did the numbers and the numbers are not adding up because they needed to shift strategy.  No company just shift strategy on a whim, usually there are a lot of meetings on the subject and a lot of input on all the C level execs before making those moves.  While a lot of Xbox gamers were cheering the ABK move, we really do not know the full ripple effect of that purchase has on the organization.  You cannot look at both Bethesda and ABK IP without considering how they impact being on all platforms compared to the smaller installbase for the MS ecosystem.

It also could be that this is not a shift in business strategy but a designed shift if they were able to get ABK.  Meaning that MS already knew that getting ABK would mean that plan B needs to be put into gear towards another goal compared to plan A.  With ABK and Bethesda, including their own studios, MS is one of the biggest publishers in the industry now.  When you consider that, just limiting your games to one platform while it sounds great to people who cannot see the numbers, it might not actually make financial sense.  We know MS wants to be on everything, the case may be that as MS stated, the ABK purchase accelerated those plans for them to move faster towards that goal.

Yes it takes time maybe up to next generation to make a dent but that’s how the console business works. During the PS3 era it took Sony til the end of the generation to finally turn things around.

Yes it takes time maybe up to next generation to make a dent but that’s how the console business works. During the PS3 era it took Sony til the end of the generation to finally turn things around.

The problem is that MS probably just do not have the time.  As waiting until the next gen would still mean its all risk hoping for Sony to fail.  Its best to believe that Sony will not fail and continue the stellar support from their own studios and Japan as that has been the norm.  So MS is probably thinking, doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result probably is closure to insanity than anything else.  Try something new and go your own route.  Could it fail, yep but then again if your are scared go to church.  I have no clue if MS new strategy is the way to go, if anything I know MS is in the gaming business here on out because they are still making bank.  We will see their exclusive and hardware plans to see if MS is really going to take some big changes and risk.